RTR Canopy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaadowGorl

Reaction score
Hi All, I've been out on the road here and there, and have noticed that I really like having a canopy for shade. I have a cheap screen tent, but am looking to put together a cheap-ish version to attach to the SUV that will hold up to the winds in the desert. I have a 10x10 and 20x20 standard tarp. I was thinking of attaching the 10x10 to the top of my vehicle then the other end to two A frames w/ a connector bar (~7 or 8 ft tall) between them (think swing set type frame) and pounding in some rebar to attach it to in order to keep it from flying away. When I went to the hardware store there was not a metal 3 way connector; I'm a bit concerned with using PVC pipe for this. 
Looking for suggestions on (a) construction, (b) size of material (1/2", 3/4" pipe), (c) material type (pvc v metal), and (d) are there any inexpensive, but sturdy & durable kits for this sort of thing on the interwebs?
Thx! (moderator pls repost to appropriate post if this is not the right spot! Thx!)

K & B Tools in Quartzite sells the connector pieces you're thinking of. You've probably seen them in use at flea markets/outside craft shows, etc.

PVC is too flexible for this use so you'll need to use at least 1/2" (to match the connectors). You'll be able to get them there too, they are set up to supply the hundreds of flea market booths that get set up over the winter in Q.

They also have the rebar stakes you'll need.

If you haven't been there before - K&B is on Kuehne road (runs east/west south of I10). They are slightly west of hwy 95 on the south side of Kuehne in a big tent. Once the RV big tent gets set up you won't have any trouble finding them but until that time, their sign is easier to see if you're travelling westbound on Kuehne!

If you want to make them yourself 1in emt will fit perfectly inside top rail for chainlink fence.

Aosum, on Amazon, makes affordable knock-offs of the ARB expedition style vehicle canopies. There is one minor design issue on mine. I'd suspect the higher cost might avoid this. Similar do it yourself designs have substantial issues and are about the same cost for materials as the Aosum models. The 10x10 street vendor canopies are also a good option.

Wind and canopies are a tricky combination.
At the racetrack the 1 inch EMT conduit canopy kits were the norm.
The advantage over the EZ Up styles was simply this....when the wind popped up, the canopies suffered...but the conduit ones usually only needed a new piece or two replaced cheaply...good to go for next event. The EZ Ups ended up in the trash. There are many heavy duty EZ Up styles available these days and have taken over as the preferred canopy. But they also just become 'more expensive trash' if wind precautions are ignored.

The key is taking down the canopy if leaving it unattended...pull the legs out and let the "roof" sit down low...tied down of course. This applies to the EZ Up style as well...either collapse it all the way or slide the legs to their shortest setting...tie it down.

The negative of the conduit canopy is transporting the pipes...my 12 x 20 takes 6 ten foot pieces, 6 six footers, and 6 seven footers for the legs. The fittings, bungee balls, and tarp all fits in a plastic box.
For anchors, since no damage to the pit's asphalt surface is allowed, we use old go kart tires filled with concrete with leg holding sleeves set in the center.
Again...transport issues - weight.

How ever you end up configuring your canopy, quick lowering or disassembly needs to be planned for...mother nature is unforgiving.
I've watched canopies of all types turned into flying WMD, doing big damage to trucks, cars and trailers. :(

Latest posts