jig for stamping VIN number on trailer frame

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
As we recently built a new frame for the trailer if of course does not have a VIN number on it. A professional looking VIN number done with metal stamps needs to have all the numbers line up and spaced at the same distance apart. That is best done with a jig. But for a one time task I did not want to spend money buying a jig so I made out of of pieces of wood from the scrap bin. I borrowed a 3/8" width set of metal numerical number stamps from my friend. He gets possession of the jig when I am done with it.
vin stamp jig 1.jpg
vin stamp jig 2.jpg
Materials came from the scrap bin, a length of 2x4 and a length of 1x2. I already own the clamps. Cost for the jig $0.00. labor time to make it was minimal.

Step one cut the lumber to size, the dimension is not critical, it just needs to be long enough to easily clamp together and to the trailer frame and of course long enough for the length of the VIN number. So I did not measure anything, but I did make sure the cut ends of the 1x2 were square, that is important.

The spacing apart of the positions of the stamps is another item that requires no measuring. Secure one of the pieces of 1x2 against the 2x4, set a stamp against it, mark the edge with a pencil. Leave that stamp there, set another stamp against it, mark that edge with the pencil, repeat until you have a sufficient number of spaces for you VIN number sequence.

The other piece of 1x2 gets a notch cut in it that matches the width of the shaft of the metal stamp. I cut my notch with a hand saw but a router or table saw will also work for milling the notch. That notch is the key to hold the stamp perfectly vertical so it does not shift when you strike it with your ball peen hammer. Then increment the fences to the next pencil mark position to apply the next number in the sequence and tighten the clamps.  The 2x4 remains securely clamped in an appropriate place on the frame for the location of the VIN while the numbers are being struck into the frame.

As long as you can cut square and make a nicely squared notch of the perfect size to match your stamp set you too can apply a professional looking VIN onto your trailer frame. Harbor Freight sells the steel stamp sets as well as hefty ball peen hammers. But they don't sell spacing jigs :)

Attachments

• vin stamp jig 1.jpg
    vin stamp jig 1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 8
  • vin stamp jig 2.jpg
    vin stamp jig 2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 9
seriously, they let you stamp your own VIN in Washington? seems like an invite to abuse. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
seriously, they let you stamp your own VIN in Washington?  seems like an invite to abuse.  highdesertranger
What they don't know won't hurt them :angel:

The persons who build the frames are the ones who stamp the numbers in. The state just assigns the VIN number, they don't physically put it onto the trailer. I am stamping in the VIN number that is legally assigned to my travel trailer.

that would never fly in California or Arizona. in CA the Highway Patrol would put a new VIN on, in AZ ADOT would. also in AZ there are private companies that do the VIN verification. in both of these states private citizen are not allowed to stamp their own VIN numbers. if it was me I would follow the law and get the VIN legally. good luck I hope no one ever questions your VIN. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
that would never fly in California or Arizona.  in CA the Highway Patrol would put a new VIN on,  in AZ ADOT would.  also in AZ there are private companies that do the VIN verification.  in both of these states private citizen are not allowed to stamp their own VIN numbers.  if it was me I would follow the law and get the VIN legally.  good luck I hope no one ever questions your VIN.  highdesertranger
Are you trying to imply I am breaking the law? That is am offensive. However I will try once more to stamp it into your head that I am not breaking the law.

First of all WA state is not California or Arizona. In fact as of January 2020 the state of WA quit inspecting vehicles being brought into the state from other states. They no longer even look at the vehicle to check that the VIN matches the title. The inspections stations are gone. The inspection process has not been put into the hands of a subcontracting inspector. It simply no longer exist and it is not a requirement. They even quit doing the pollution sniffing testing in the State of WA.   I just went though the title change and registration last month so my knowledge is very current, it is not based on speculation, it is based on facts. 

Relax, don't worry about it. I am not breaking any laws, I won't be arrested or fined, my trailer won't be impounded. I have the legally required VIN number plate that was attached to the trailer by rivets by the manufacturer at the time it was first made. That plate is what is required. But the VIN on it is pretty strange looking and of course the numbers from 50 years ago are not similar to the more recent VIN system. Those old numbers on all the older vehicles are not searchable in the database systems used by the State agencies. When you go to title it as long as you have a copy of the title from the previous owner they just shrug their shoulders and use the VIN from the previous title. When I bought the trailer in Oregon I had the previous owner go with me to the local licensing agency. I transferred the ownership right there and got the bill of sale notorized as well. I applied for and received a new title from the state of Oregon using my Washington residential address. The plates were still good so that did not change. I have not had it out on the road so when it was ready to roll after some needed repairs I applied for a WA title and registration last month and have received that title. Just in case there might have been an issue I took the VIN identification plate along to the agency with me. But a few weeks earlier I went in to ask questions such as where do I go for inspection so I can bring the trailer into the state. I then found out that of 01/01/2020 WA state no longer requires an inspection of any kind. There is not facility for it, there are no contracted agencies doing it. The legislature changed the law. Not only did they change the requirement for an inspection when bringing a vehicle into the state to get it licensed they also did away with the requirements in all parts of the state for needing an emissions check as of 01/01/2020.  https://ecology.wa.gov/Air-Climate/Air-quality/Vehicle-emissions/Emissions-check-ends

With no state income tax, no smog test, no vehicle inspection requirements, easy to get residency change, that makes WA state a pretty good place to apply for a change of residency.

I am not talking about typical vehicle inspections of any type. I am just amazed Washington state lets you stamp your own VIN. I have never heard of this. do you at least have to notify the proper authorities? highdesertranger

Travel trailer have exterior VIN plates. Sometimes the VIN was stamped in into the frame by the builder, but not always. It is not a requirement to have that number stamped into the frame.

Now if that original VIN number plate was missing then I would have to go through the process of getting a new VIN ID and the state would send me a little plate that they have stamped the number into. So does the state stamp in a VIN number? Yes they do but they stamp it onto a little plate that they send in the mail and then you attach it to your vehicle.

I don't have to notify anyone, it is not required that it be stamped into my trailer frame but it is also not illegal for me to stamp it into the frame. I am not attempting fraud. You are just a little bit mixed up on what is what regarding this matter.

Adding VIN or other serial numbers to the frame is all about catching chop shops engaged in criminal activities, when they break up vehicles, that is why they stamp VIN numbers onto various places in vehicles such as the metal frame. The builder of the vehicle does that or the owner can add it later if they want to. The more parts they get put onto the easier it is for the cops to prove those parts came from a stolen vehicle. If I want to stamp it onto my frame I can. It is no different than stamping my driver's license number on my tools or my bicycle or other belongings that might get stolen. It helps the police and it helps me get them back if they show up in a police locker after they bust someone or are turned in as lost property.

maki2 said:
What they don't know won't hurt them :angel:

This may have been why someone would think you're maybe doing something illegal.

Every state is different though, that's for sure.

@ maki1 Whew, I'm already tired just listening. You are such an awesome RV creator. Just tuned in to watch you stamp vin numbers onto HDR, so he won't get lost or stollen. Sweet!   -crofter