Roof repair needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closeanuf

Reaction score
My neighbor lives in a 92 Hitchiker 5th wheel. She needs to coat her roof and we are wondering if anyone has PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.  I know there are several products out there just need to hear positive experiences you may have.

1st I would look at every thing that comes through the roof to see if they are sealed tight. I put black tar stuff on all the seams and then a plastic screen mesh, let that dry and second coat them. After that dries, all I used was roof seal , from Lowes, that is used on a mobile home roof, two coats total. Mine is a rubber roof, but the stuff I used works on both metal and rubber. At $20. a gallon and made it through the 18 inches of snow and ice this past winter and looks great.

Jim, specific product names would help a ton. For a newbie, generic terms are confusing at best, and could easily lead to mistaken choices.

Good idea, the stuff is a little messy so wear old clothes. Look at the pix in the link on my signature and you will see how I did the repair of the roof and how nice it looks. And it stayed dry inside through the weather, for a year now.

Sealer

Tar Suff

Screen Fabric

closeanuf said:
My neighbor lives in a 92 Hitchiker 5th wheel. She needs to coat her roof and we are wondering if anyone has PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. 

Without more specific information I'd be guessing as to what will work best.
Is the roof on her 5th wheel Metal (Aluminum), or Rubber? Has it been coated with a sealant before?
And if so what product? Will she be traveling in it or is it parked permanently?

Why this is important:
Different roof types require different types of coatings.
If traveling then you should use a flexible roof coating. Any coating that dries hard (non-flexible) will eventually crack and leak, sooner rather than later, if you are moving the trailer.

My experience with roof coating runs from mobile homes, (which are moved once in their life typically), to small class B's and large class A's that spend a month a year on the road, again typically and 20-28' RV trailers.

Flexible roof seal products are recommended more today than ever mostly because technology has improved drastically and they work well in most applications.

I'd start by asking for quotes from the closest 5th wheel RV dealer. Pick their brains as to what works best in your area and why. And, do they offer a DIY product and what is the process and price.
Any dealer that's worth a nickel will sell you the product rather than lose a sale.
And to get the roof coating to properly stick you need to start with a very clean roof.

If you are just looking for a brand name then more info please.

Just my ol 2¢

Hmmmmm……….From the online specs......the Hitchhiker has a "Membrane Roof"...……...from Jim's link to the recommended SEALER

"".....Do not use on shingle roofs, or over rubber membranes, EPDM roofing systems, or elastomeric type coatings.......""

It is a white rubber membrane that doesn't show any signs of ever being sealed or coated with anything and is a permanent dwelling.  Thanks for those questions.   My 2004 Prowler has a similar roof and I'm thinking of coating mine too. Thanks for the input

I do not know which type of rubber roof mine is, I was somewhat aware of this difference. The way I applied it these sealers dose not look like it harmed anything 'yet'. It's been a full year since I did the repairs and everything looks good, no leaks so far. I do a walk around every week to check for any problems. I thought about using that "Flex Seal Paint" at $23.oo a Qt size can times 4 cans was to costly for me.

I have an old 02 Thor fifth wheel and used a product purchased from an RV store labeled"Plasti-Cote". Used it once about 4 yrs ago (one coat) and reapplied last year (one coat). Its work with a 4" brush and took about a gallon and a half at nearly $100/gal. Probably half that online I would think. It works and has stood up to the sun and hail, etc.