Roof rack vs. solar panels?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
Whether I go with a van or a box truck, etc., I really want a functional roof rack for the purpose of carrying stuff.  That said, functioning solar is mandatory.  Somewhere in the back of my head, I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to have both.  

The problem, as it appears to my newbie mind, is that the two seem incompatible.  Either 1) I put the solar panels on the highest point of the roof rack, but that blocks the rack from holding anything real (kayak, ladder, etc), or 2) I put the solar directly on the roof, and install the rack over the solar panels, but then the rack (and anything on it) blocks the panels.

The only thing I can think of is a longitudinal split -- one side dedicated to solar, and the other side dedicated to carrying junk.

How are people, who want their cake and eat it too, solving this dilemma?

Is a pull behind trailer an option? That would solve a lot of problems.

Portable solar could work, but that leads to setting up and breaking down each time you move and is better suited to boondocking in the middle of nowhere.

The issue with having both junk and solar on the top is that no matter what you do you will be prone to shading the panels with the junk unless you're very carful with the direction you set up and park.

Do you have a battery isolator? If so, you don't need solar while driving, so perhaps storing stuff over the solar while in transport, then taking things off the roof at your destination?

Vagabound said:
Hey GS,

I gathered from reading that thread of yours that you made a new rack for your van.  Looked good.  Beyond that, I'm in the dark about the connection between that and my question in the OP.  Can you connect the dots for me please?

Thanks,

Vagabound

I can put up a pad on the rails, and mount to the rack.  There is room for a ladder without blocking panels, and you can transport whatever on the racks,  You design what works best for you.  It is different for everyone.  You can have panels end to end, on one side, and have 3 1/2 feet of space available for permanent items.  Just be careful how you park for the sun.

I just showed what worked in my situation.  I have panels, and the rack if I need it.

ViaVacave has hit the nail on the head.

ViaVacavi said:
Is a pull behind trailer an option?  That would solve a lot of problems.

Portable solar could work, but that leads to setting up and breaking down each time you move and is better suited to boondocking in the middle of nowhere.

The issue with having both junk and solar on the top is that no matter what you do you will be prone to shading the panels with the junk unless you're very carful with the direction you set up and park.

Do you have a battery isolator? If so, you don't need solar while driving, so perhaps storing stuff over the solar while in transport, then taking things off the roof at your destination?

ViaVacavi,

Thanks for helping to brainstorm.  Some good suggestions.

* Trailer:  Yes.  I explained that, but seems it was in another thread.  Think I'm getting thread vertigo.  If one were to split the duties of solar and crap-carrying between a van and a trailer, that might work nicely.  Not a bad idea, but anytime the trailer isn't pulled, 100% of some functionality is lost.

* Portable Solar:  Agree.  Reducing "assembly/disassembly" and "shuffling stuff" will be two of my major design goals for the whole rig.  Starting to think an 18-wheeler might be the way to go. ;-)

* No solar while driving:  Hadn't given that one much thought, but it has a lot of merit ... until it's time to park and unload everything off the roof ... every single time.  But, one more to consider.  Again, a better option for longer-duration boondocking.

Thanks a bunch,

Vagabound

I did see a mount on the side, it had these brackets that allowed the panels to extend outward from the side of the rv/van. The panels tucked flush against the rv/van for travel. Not saying it's the perfect solution, but just another option to explore. Good luck, let us know how you solve it!

Vagabound said:
The problem, as it appears to my newbie mind, is that the two seem incompatible.  Either 1) I put the solar panels on the highest point of the roof rack, but that blocks the rack from holding anything real (kayak, ladder, etc), or 2) I put the solar directly on the roof, and install the rack over the solar panels, but then the rack (and anything on it) blocks the panels.

The only thing I can think of is a longitudinal split -- one side dedicated to solar, and the other side dedicated to carrying junk.

How are people, who want their cake and eat it too, solving this dilemma?

Voila!  Works for me.  :)

190 Watts of solar is plenty for me, given my deep cycle "house-battery" is also my starter battery and is connected to the alternator.  

I'm pondering this issue as well. I don't have solar panels yet but I will have to bring a pet kennel of some sort and a ladder. Looking forward to all the ideas that come out of this thread.

poprouge said:
I did see a mount on the side, it had these brackets that allowed the panels to extend outward from the side of the rv/van.  The panels tucked flush against the rv/van for travel.  Not saying it's the perfect solution, but just another option to explore.  Good luck, let us know how you solve it!

Cool idea, thanks.  And thumbs up for 3D thinking!  Gotta give that one some thought.

Vagabound

BigT said:
Voila!  Works for me.  :)

190 Watts of solar is plenty for me, given my deep cycle "house-battery" is also my starter battery and is connected to the alternator.  

Thanks for the good demo photo of what I was thinking.  That said, looking at your kayak perched on the edge of the roof gave me the same feeling as when I see a toddler pick up a glass of juice and start walking across the floor ... "Oooh, ahhh, wait ..." with hands reflexively reaching out to prevent disaster.  I'm hoping that was an "in progress" photo of the kayak getting put on or taken off.

Regarding the one battery thing, did you feel that was essential, or just something you wanted to do?

Vagabound

The kayak is perfectly stable and safe where it is.  Mounting it a little bit outboard makes it a lot easier to load/unload.  It's not like I don't strap it down to the saddles when I'm driving, and it doesn't stick out any further than the mirrors.

As for the single battery, there's so little extra room inside a Transit Connect, I didn't want to take up any more of it than necessary with an extra house-batery or two.  A member here (Sternwake) told me about the single AGM method.  It works great!  If you don't need a ton of Amp hours and want to keep it simple, replacing your OEM/under-hood battery with something like the Northstar AGM is a great way to do it.  
You really can't get much more "Plug-N-Play" than that.  :cool:

BigT said:
The kayak is perfectly stable and safe where it is.  Mounting it a little bit outboard makes it a lot easier to load/unload.  It's not like I don't strap it down to the saddles when I'm driving, and it doesn't stick out any further than the mirrors.

I guess the juice was in a sippy cup all along! ;-)  

The battery thing makes more sense to me now.  Thanks for explaining.  

Vagabound

How about the panel under the rack mounted on a slider?

Yes, while driving it could be partially or totally blocked but tie into your alternator to charge on the move.

When you arrive, slide out the panel and let the sun do its thing.

Have it slide forward and it will shade the windshield or outback it can shade you.

Long heavy duty sliders are not cheap but may be worth it.

I even saw one set that locks!

http://www.ovisonline.com/Locking-Drawer-Slides-C145.aspx

Not That Bob said:
How about the panel under the rack mounted on a slider?
Have it slide forward and it will shade the windshield or outback it can shade you.

Now that's the kind of original thinking I like.  Way to go, NTB!  You might have just solved one of my planning problems.

Vagabound

One to ask the right question.
One to come up with a good idea.
One to fabricate it.

TrainChaser said:
One to ask the right question.
One to come up with a good idea.
One to fabricate it.

Now we're talking teamwork  (vs. that drivel blabbed about by HR dingbats during job interviews.)*

Vagabound

* Full offense intended to HR dingbats. ;-)

"NTB", I like that.

Thanks, usually my out of the box thinking gets me in trouble!

I am sure with some interlocking aluminum angle sizes you could fabricate a cheaper slide.

There's one Gal here (one of EN's vids) who has a 16' roll out Solar panel she lays on the ground. That would allow a person to park in the shade and still get your charge on!

as I see it the problem with just laying a panel on the ground would be animals walking on it. deer, cattle, elk, moose, bear, etc. yes I have had all these animals walk through my camp. highdesertranger