roof fan on fiber glass hi-top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchie

Reaction score
I am about to install a fan-tastic roof fan in my starcraft conversion van, which have a fiber glass hi-top roof I would like to hear from anyone who have done that on such a roof. Any different installation methode compare to regular steel roof or camper roof ?

highdesertranger said:
is your fiberglass roof double wall or single wall?  highdesertranger

I think it's double, cause the outside is flat and inside have an edge, or kinda curves in it !

there are 2 types of double wall that I have seen, one has a foam inner core and one has a cardboard type core.

on the foam core I like to make a wood trim on the inside and screw all the way through both the inner and outer and into the wood trim. tighten the screws enough to bed the butyl tape but not enough to crush the foam core. the foam core is pretty stout you would have to seriously tighten the screws to crush it.

if you have a cardboard core you can't do it like above because you will crush the cardboard. in this case I cut the main hole and take a razor knife and remove the cardboard enough to install 1x2 or 2x2 between the inner and outer walls. believe me this is a pain in the ass. there has always been enough room for at least 1x2's. then you screw into that. when you install the inner trim piece this sucks the inner wall up tight.

feel free to ask any questions.

highdesertranger

good to hear my plan is something possible to archive. Will try to begin this job this coming week. will ask if I face trouble down the road.
Thank you for your help !

fooffan1.jpgrooffan2.jpgfooffan3.jpgrooffan4.jpgrooffan5.jpgJust to inform you guys how my project of installing a roof fan on my conversion van hi-top went. I also includes some pictures, especially to show how hi-top fiber glass roof are made. Must mention  some hint. First, try to make the job when temperature are warm. Wear long sleeves, as fiber glass dust (from jig saw) are entering in your arms's skin ! I am an average craftman, so most people can do that job. (dealers ask $200.00 to have it done !

Hope these pics can help someone out there !

enjoy !

Attachments

• fooffan1.jpg
    fooffan1.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 5
  • rooffan2.jpg
    rooffan2.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 4
  • fooffan3.jpg
    fooffan3.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 5
  • rooffan4.jpg