Roadtrek nomads

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Narrowing down on my van pick, still have 3 years (maybe ;;) how well does the insides hold up? Pretty much wondering is it a lot of money for maintenance, up, expensive to fix?

My old Roadtrek interior has held up well. They are made with marine grade plywood and oak. The seat material (fabric) and wall/floor coverings are in good shape too. Not bad for a 18 year old van with 143K miles on it. If you get into taking things apart to run wires and such, you can see the construction techniques used. All first rate in my book. I've only had to replace the hot water heater as some previous owner never changed the anode rod in it. The anode rod only lasts about 1 1/2 to 2 years. It should be removed every six months for inspection and to return the air to the top of the tank (for expansion of the hot water). Air dissolves in water over time.

During research I was also looking at Pleasure Way. They didn't have a layout that I liked so never looked further.

I appreciate your reply. Can I ask you about the clearance...was wondering if you do back roads and if the bottom rubs?

Welcome to the CRVL forums sparkinprogress! Good luck with your van search!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I do some two track. The only real thing I fear is dragging my dump connection or getting the back end hung. There is a plastic tube from the passenger side (black and grey tank) that slopes to the drivers side right under the drivers side door. The valves are on the passenger side with rods to control them on the drivers side so if I did drag it off, it wouldn't be the end of the world. The control rods are not attached to this tube and shouldn't be affected. This tube also houses the drain hose that pulls out for dumping. The fresh water drain is attached to the tube also so I could lose all my fresh water too. I do this with the drivers window down and go very slowly past obstructions. Once I think I have passed the obstruction with the tube, I get out and look. Haven't lost it yet (fingers crossed).

I also carry a come-along, tow strap, snatch strap and a snatch block. Oh, and a shovel too. Figure I can get myself out of most predicaments. Forgot, I also carry portable tow truck. Two plastic mats with nubs that I can put down. Similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Tow-Truck-Emergency-Traction/dp/B0046CZKIA

I pick my path carefully and sometimes walk ahead to see if there is going to be an insurmountable obstruction. I have had to back out about a 1/2 mile before. Not fun with the small tree limbs rubbing the sides and the rocks/ruts as obstacles I have already passed. A lot of getting out to see what I have to do next to get passed them.

Sometimes getting out/in a gas station when they have a big dip where they meet the road I have drug the hitch. Looking as you approach entering and leaving you can see the rub marks. I generally try to leave/enter at an angle so I don't drag. I do this slowly as the rocking motion can be quite violent.

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums sparkinprogress!  Good luck with your van search!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you, glad to be here and I'll check those out

I had one for a decade... the RT build was fine, but some built-in components had issues toward the end - had problems with my Onan and Kool Kat that got costly to repair due to being... so well built-in. Ultimately drove me toward a temporary set-up, but I'm not a full-timer. If you're handy and can do repair and maintenance yourself, so much the better.

I did smack my water tank mounts hard on a rock once on dirt road, bent them but no issues otherwise.