Road tripping boomsticks?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does your gun travel with you?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No or N/A

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

USExplorer

Reaction score
Poll: How many vandwellers or travelers take a firearm with them when they travel? 

I'll start off. I keep a single shot 12 gauge in my SUV. Cheap, reliable, not scary unless looking down the muzzle. If I need to pass through a gun-phobic state, I can break it apart and store the pieces separately. I use it for recreational purposes, although it can be used defensively if needed.

Sometimes, rarely for defense- rather use my head to avoid trouble than fight my way out of it. Also have no need to give LEO's any more excuses to bust my joy.
After 40 years of driving nails, I'm more dangerous with a 22 oz hammer than a firearm.

I do Federal Carry at times so I can target shoot or put some poor critter that's been struck by a car out of it's misery.

When I carry it is usually either my service 38 stub or a 12 ga pump.

Usually only take a gun if I know there will be opportunities to target shoot,or hunt.

I'm a lover, not a fighter.  

After raising three daughters on my own, I can use body language to end any situation without violence.  

I am immune to "THE LOOK."   :cool:

I stay in public parks a lot. While living in a GA state park, I was informed by the head park ranger that I didn't have any guns hidden on my RV. I believed him. So now that is what I tell people. I don't have any guns in my RV.

...IMHO we don't need a poll asking who or how many have guns.

"road tripping Boomsticks"???

sounds like a term overheard at a rainbow gathering.
oh yeah, yer only 21. :rolleyes:

I've been curious myself how many of us actually travel with guns. It comes up a lot and many probably think we're all packing.

Personally, I just can't imagine a lot of scenarios where I would successfully use the gun and feel good about it later. There are so many more where I realize later it wasn't needed or it gets used on me or stolen and used on someone else. Plus all of the hassles and extra scrutiny that comes with it.

My last gun lives locked away in a box, mostly I forget I own it and always forget to take it along on the road. Having carried one for a living in the past you'd think I'd remember it more often.

Reducto said:
I've been curious myself how many of us actually travel with guns. 

Not me, don't care and wish we all did.  An armed populace is a polite populace.  

Personally, I just can't imagine a lot of scenarios where I would successfully use the gun and feel good about it later.

I don't think anybody (law abiding) would feel good about using one either.  But I would rather feel later than not to be able to feel (dead).

There are so many more where I realize later it wasn't needed or it gets used on me or stolen and used on someone else. Plus all of the hassles and extra scrutiny that comes with it.

I have not made my decision on whether I will carry when we hit the road or not.  All I know for sure is the liberals want to take that choice away from me even if the constitution guarantees it.  The old saying goes something like "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns".  Chicago is a prime example of this.  I for the life of me don't see how people cannot see this (must be sheep).  I will not be going to Chicago (or Detoilet or any number of other places, mostly the East and CA where these "feel good" laws don't do any good).  I will carry my pellet rifle though.  Gotta keep in practice in case.....  

The gun laws are all about controlling the populace.  My gun control is about me hitting my target.  I would carry a police officer with me instead, but they are so darned heavy.  So that means when seconds count, they are only minutes away (at best).

This thread just sets everyone up as a target, either for theft or worse.

When something goes bump in the night, I wrap my hand around the grip of my .357 mag and I feel better. If that's all it every does for me, that's enough.

I've had some pretty aggressive coyotes around camp, and while I'm not afraid for myself, I am for my dog. I just 'happened" to schedule target practice at the exact same time a particularly aggressive coyote was barking-yelping near to camp. Poor little fellow was pretty scared by that and ran away at top speed--hopefully to never return!!

Don't worry, I was far from the nearest person and was totally safe.
Bob

compassrose said:
I stay in public parks a lot. While living in a GA state park, I was informed by the head park ranger that I didn't have any guns hidden on my RV. I believed him. So now that is what I tell people. I don't have any guns in my RV.

If you only carry 1 firearm, you can truthfully say "I don't have Firearms in my possession."  Technically, firearms is more than one...

Under NO circumstances let any LEO search your rig without a warrant. Do not give permission period.

akrvbob said:
When something goes bump in the night, I wrap my hand around the grip of my .357 mag and I feel better. If that's all it every does for me, that's enough.

I've had some pretty aggressive coyotes around camp, and while I'm not afraid for  myself, I am for my dog. I just 'happened" to schedule target practice at the exact same time a particularly aggressive coyote was barking-yelping near to camp. Poor little fellow was pretty scared by that and ran away at top speed--hopefully to never return!!

Don't worry, I was far from the nearest person and was totally safe.
Bob

Agreed.   The loud boom of a .357 and the belching of flame from the muzzle should do the trick for that critter.

Stay outta the cities, they are crazy!  That is what you get when everyone lives right on top of each other.

Latest posts