Road Trip- Need advice from Southwest peeps

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many dogs? Get two rooms. If they're all in crates I doubt they'd object. I wouldn't even tell them, just take them into the rooms in the crates. Take a couple out at a time to do their business. I have two mid-size dogs. I don't tell the front desk clerk about them, never have a problem when I take them into room in full view of front desk, and I've stayed in dozens of Motel 6's.

bindi&us said:
It sounds like you need a box truck for 10 dog crates. Mr Heater on a propane tank and couple folding cots in a U-Haul would make life a lot easier.

HA!!! You guys beat me yet again!!!

after reading that the van hadn't even been purchased yet...U-Haul was the first thing that came to my mind!!

b'sides...that extra room in a boxvan will come in handy. (no maintenance worries either....well, not many!) :)

@vantexan- the problem isn't the dogs per se... just their mouthy bits. A motel is out because they will not be quiet and the people in the neighboring rooms will not put up with it, as well they shouldn't.
I imagine your dogs are much better behaved and used to travel, as my 2 were. Unfortunately, these are not my dogs.
This is why I started this thread asking mostly for truck stops or rest stops.

B&Us/ Patrick - A UHaul is the last resort due to the cost. It was the first thing I checked, and it will be over $1650 + the gas hog factor for a 10' box truck. Plus, the lady I'm taking would then be stuck in rural LA without a vehicle. With a van, she will have the vehicle at the end of the trip, hopefully anyway.

The crates are small (these are tiny dogs), so they will fit in a standard van. You are bang on about it raining inside, though! With any luck, we won't need the heater. Even so, gonna hit the Goodwill for lots of towels!

We have 3 more decent prospects to look at tomorrow. Hopefully at least one will do the job!

That's the plan! Just have to be careful to pick ones that get along. The last thing you want is to be hosting 'The Epic Battle of the Tiny Yappers' in your sleeping bag at 2AM! :D

Unchained said:
That's the plan! Just have to be careful to pick ones that get along. The last thing you want is to be hosting 'The Epic Battle of the Tiny Yappers' in your sleeping bag at 2AM! :D

:D I'm crackin' up over that vision :D
Ya know what they say...I feel for ya, but I can't quite reach ya :D

With that one I'm gonna haul myself to bed...Margie should have my side warmed up by now ;)

bindi&us said:
:D I'm crackin' up over that vision :D
Think 2 baby badgers wrestling in a gunny sack, and you just about have it :D

With that one I'm gonna haul myself to bed...Margie should have my side warmed up by now ;)
Better watch those cold feet of yours, bub! :p
G'night!

Get the heater. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I still vote for a heater also. There has been some nasty weather coming down the central plains.
Problem is the moisture in an uninsulated, improperly vented van. Over a few nights everything will be soaked and staying warm is a lost cause.

If you've never seen it a metal van ceiling can get covered with dripping water...rain. Water runs down the sides. Not a pretty sight, as I can testify from my first van years ago.

Not uninsulated. One of the conditions of my doing this is that if the van is a cargo, a quick and dirty insulation job WILL be done before we leave. I have zero desire to do the 'interior rainforest' routine on top of everything else! :p
First thing tomorrow, we will be going to look at a conversion. If it's a go, we will have insulation, the little bottom slider windows, and most of what I will be doing is covering the rest of that freaking glass :D

I like a gal who thinks on her feet. Sounds like baling wire and duct tape are your old friends. You'll be fine if you take the helm and captain that ship using the knowledge you have.

:heart: Oooo, now I have visions of a swashbuckling, sexy sailing wench giving orders with sword thrust forward. Hawt :D

I actually prefer paracord and speed tape :p
Baling wire and JB Weld are also close, personal friends of mine :D

The hilarious part was when the boss, knowing full well that I have been seriously studying vandwelling for over a year, asked how I can go through Craigslist and pull out the best prospects so quickly. I literally did the :rolleyes:

:heart: Oooo, now I have visions of a swashbuckling, sexy sailing wench giving orders with sword thrust forward. Hawt :D

Go with that. :D

Alright me hearty, sexy, swashbuckling sailing wench get out there and skewer a boss and a couple of chis! *laugh*

Very cool image for a mod *smile*!!

Hugs,

Update...
WE HAVE A VAN!!!! It took most of the day and a couple hundred miles of driving, but we came home with a 1995 Dodge conversion. 318 V-8 engine, 120,000 miles, new tires all around, ice cold A/C, awesome heater, cruise control, alarm system, pink slip and current reg, and all good on the Carfax. Da boss weaseled.. err.. haggled the price down $700 ($3200 from the $3900 asking price) by saying the magic word- 'cash'. :D

She's not perfect on the outside, dings and paint wise, but pretty much what you would expect for 18 years of California sun and freeways. The interior, including the original carpet, seats, limo lighting and all the toys, is pretty cherry. She even came with a wall mounted vacuum cleaner, which will undoubtedly come in handy on this trip!

She handled the 70 mile drive home beautifully- engine temp rock steady (this is huge for me), good on gas and plenty of power. With the comfy seats, a pleasure to drive and I had a ball, esp when I blew the doors off da boss' Toyota Sienna on an inviting straightaway :cool:
I honestly have no idea why he looked so annoyed as I flew past him, giggling all the way. Heck, I even waved. :angel:

That said, he isn't overjoyed with this van. He really wanted a cargo, and kept saying so. I kept replying that he could have had one if he'd gotten off his butt as late as 2 weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Of the ones we saw today, he favored a 1993 Ford Econoline conversion that was $400 less out the door from a used car lot. Never mind that it had 60,000 more miles on it, the tires were worn, the engine sounded like sh*t, some dipstick had installed 'new' flooring in the front that was as slippery as snake snot (the test drive was a riot), and the interior was coming apart. To him, THAT was a 'dog van'.

Fortunately for me, the brakes on said craptastic example of vandom were gone. Not only did they sink nearly to the floor, but they made a noise I have never heard before. It sort of sounded like stepping on a giant ziplock bag that wasn't quite sealed. Not good. A quick drive around a few blocks was more than enough for me.

I told him that he could buy it if he wanted, but that HE would be driving it home if he did. That worked. He was on the phone to the kid with the Dodge a few minutes later. :D

Tomorrow, we start modifying the new van for mega-pooch transport.
Stay tuned...

Well cool....glad you finally found something workable!

and yeah, good that you grabbed the conversion, as even though a cargo van would have worked better with this trip in mind, I think a conversion van would be better in the long run anyway once she gets to her new home. (seeing that she's keeping it.)

btw....doesn't this other gal even drive??

Unchained... the NEXT time someone asks for a volunteer.... temporarily lose your hearing! The "Hmmmm.... What..... I wasn't paying attention" and look a bit confused seems to work for me.... most of the time. :p