River Stream charging system - online fundraising

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like an awful expensive gadget for just being able to recharge your cell phone or ipod . . .

I wonder if you could get larger blades and make it for wind. Cooling the generator may be a problem in the air.

am thinking in the woods, no sunlight, you need electricity. not for backpacking. more for the RV dweller boon-docking in some remote location. People complain about getting too hot out in the open during the summer trying to keep cool. well if you put this isn a stream, you can maybe run a small fan all day while not discharging your batteries.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Seems like an awful expensive gadget for just being able to recharge your cell phone or ipod . . .

am starting to think the thermal phone chargers that work with a small camp stove, that have a thermal charger built into them, might be a better competitive option?  if you are under heavy tree cover?  Have seen them advertised, but not sure where the technology has gone so far.

https://amzn.com/B00BQHET9O

It would be so easy to find just the right stream to power this, I think Goshawk should invest.

Goshawk said:
Interesting way to generate electricity for yourself while at remote locations

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/estream-a-portable-water-power-generator-adventure#/

Forget it.  Most micro-hydro needs/wants a 10 foot (3meter) fall.
Just using the 'level' stream won't produce anything usable.  Remember the law of diminishing returns; you can't get more out (or even equal) then put in.

Its basically windmill, which wants to turn the final rather fast, and if a reverse gear ratio, you need a lot of mechanical force.

I've looked into all the alt (electrical) energy stuff. Nothing is great.

(yes I'm a curmudgeon.  But I learned early on that a good engineer spends a time figuring out why something won't *work*.  Saves the effort, money, and time going forward too soon.)

NomadBob said:
Forget it.  Most micro-hydro needs/wants a 10 foot (3meter) fall.
Just using the 'level' stream won't produce anything usable.  Remember the law of diminishing returns; you can't get more out (or even equal) then put in.

Its basically windmill, which wants to turn the final rather fast, and if a reverse gear ratio, you need a lot of mechanical force.

I've looked into all the alt (electrical) energy stuff. Nothing is great.

(yes I'm a curmudgeon.  But I learned early on that a good engineer spends a time figuring out why something won't *work*.  Saves the effort, money, and time going forward too soon.)

Thanks for the comment. Was wondering about the quantified resulting power.

On to the next perpetual motion machine ? Lol. Does anyone have a heat exchanger working with a stream for improve air conditioning? And is that possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk