RIP Ron McDowell

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twokniveskatie

Reaction score
About an hour ago I received word of the passing of one of my best friends and traveling compadres, Ron McDowell. He passed away in his van after spending time with very good friends at his favorite pub in San Antonio. Anyone who knew him knew his courage and his sense of humor in dealing with adversity in life. There will be some sort of memorial online, I will post a link when I can.

I love you, my friend. I cannot imagine a world without you.

Many of you will know Ron, if not from here, then feo
His participation over at Vandwellers.

Thanks for the update Katie. I will watch for the memorial...I am so sorry!<br /><br />My favorite memory of Ron is seeing his Sportsmobile at the same intersection as me in my Chinookie in Port Townsend Washington of all places....He followed me to my kid's house and we had a great visit...<br /><br />I then saw him again out at another former vandweller's home in Port Angeles where we spent much longer an afternoon, chatting and messing around...that was Grasshoppa's place (Gary L) who did a lot of dwelling in his little Scion XB along with his amazing home built kayaks..<br /><br />If I remember right we all got together with Mike and Heidi there too...<br /><br />I will miss him dearly...what a cool guy. Always wanting to go to Mexico with us...I wish we had done that....<br /><br />He had been in something like 85+ countries and worked in a bunch of them.....was the co-owner of one of the Skoolie sites online and had done more stuff than most people not confined to a chair....<br />RIP old friend....<br />Bri

Sorry about the lost of your friend. I just started going on Vandwellers.&nbsp;

Kate,
While I never met Ron in person, I certantly felt his presence and knew who he was online on several sites. I know his wit, wisdom and heart will be sorely missed by many. You have my deepest sympathies.

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. It's clear the world is a better place for the time he spent with us.

<p>I will miss Ron personally, as well as his contributions to the VanDweller community.&nbsp; His memory, wisdom and humor will live on in our hearts and in the forums' archives where he made such an impact.&nbsp; Rest in peace Ron.</p>

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Katie.<br /><br />I did not know Ron.&nbsp; But his life can certainly be seen in his works.<br /><br />A good soul.

Katie its never easy losing someone you admire.&nbsp; Even though you have good memories there's always a hollow spot.&nbsp; Sounds like he had a good life, and enjoyed people.&nbsp; Fill that hollow with memories Ron&nbsp;where there's laughter and and positive thoughts.&nbsp; It keeps his spirit alive.&nbsp; My heart goes out to you for&nbsp;your pain of loss, but I'm thankful you got to know someone you admired.<br /><br />Rae<br />&nbsp;

A memorial service is being held Sunday morning at 10:00 am at the sunset funeral home in San Antonio, for anyone who would like to be there in spirit. Mutt and I are leaving in the early a.m. so will see some of you in Texas.

Most of us on this forum haven't met Ron, but I had that good fortune several times.<br /><br />I think I admire Ron more than any other person I ever met. Life dealt him a pretty terrible hand, but he lived like he won the Mega-Lotto! If someday I am half the man he was, I will consider my life a huge success.&nbsp;<br /><br />Katie, I know your heart and I know how much you must be hurting right now. I wish there was something I could do to help, but I know there isn't. All I can do is urge you to know deep down in your heart that you and Ron are loved and everything is going to be alright. I am now, and I always will be your friend. Bob

&nbsp;I agree Bob, he was quite prolific on the web and involved in lots of forums. Btw Ron's van and trailer pages are here: http://www.volente.us/Van/<br />akrvbob wrote:<br />...I think I admire Ron more than any other person I ever met. Life dealt him a pretty terrible hand, but he lived like he won the Mega-Lotto! If someday I am half the man he was, I will consider my life a huge success... <br /><br />

I am so grateful for the goodness and kindness of people. Thanks all of you for your support. I will be bringing some of Ron's ashes back with me, to spread in the desert at the next RTR. He wanted very much to attend one, but despite his challenges, Ron cared for his elderly mother, and had put his travels on hold to continue to do that as she got more frail. I like the idea that I can take him there, after all.

I am staying in his travel trailer right now, where he and Mutt and I spent many happy hours. I will move in with his mom on Friday and stay for a few weeks until his sister can close up her house in Chatanooga and move to San Antonio.

Ron's Sportsmobile and his other van will be coming up for sale. If anyone has any interest, I will be posting more info as it comes available.

Take care of yourself Katie and know we are all here for you HuggZ!&nbsp;

I love hugs! Vickie- love is like the chicken or the egg...who knows where it originates? I couldn't give it if I wasn't given it in the first place. I figure if we keep spreading enough of it around, we might figure it out eventually

I am hugely grateful for this opportunity to help. It is not only a way to honor Ron, but it helps me focus outside myself. It is easy to dwell on what I have lost, but ultimately it is not about me. his mom is so lost, so fragile. Ron's greatest concern was always her. It was one of the things I loved about him. She devoted her entire life to helping him overcome tremendous obstacles and to do it with cheerfulness and humor. He thought nothing of doing the same for her.

It's all ripples, ya know?