Right size generator for me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you use electric for hot water, or any heat usage, off grid?

Go propane. . .

Even if you're wealthy, there's something to be said for being sensible, and I really would like to know good economic reasons for going mostly-48V converting down for 12V, as opposed to a 12V base and converting up for just the air on.

Using electric propulsion yes, can see it where house loads are relatively tiny. . .

John61CT said:
Why would you use electric for hot water, or any heat usage, off grid?

Go propane. . .

Even if you're wealthy, there's something to be said for being sensible, and I really would like to know good economic reasons for going mostly-48V converting down for 12V, as opposed to a 12V base and converting up for just the air on.

Using electric propulsion yes, can see it where house loads are relatively tiny. . .

I *despise* propane.  I will do whatever it takes to not use propane, and I don't see any reason to not use a 48v system.  The biggest draw on the system is the air condition (or running as a heat pump in cold weather), and the most efficient way to handle that (while going electric) is with a 48v-native highly-efficient split AC unit, then that's what I'm doing.

Anyways, we're getting significantly off-topic for this thread.  I was considering which generator to get for my "low power" charger, and I've decided on the Champion 3100 or similar 3000-watt equivalent class genny.

You haven't mentioned the Honda 3000, but in my opinion, it is your very best choice. I'm assuming with all you are doing for this rig you are thinking long-term, really long-term.

To my mind, if you are thinking long-term, you need to be thinking Honda. There is a reason they have their reputation, they have earned it over the decades!!

10-20 years from now the cost difference between the two will be meaningless to you, but your Honda may very well still be running as good as new and if there is a problem there will be a dealer, parts, and service everywhere for it.

We can't know that about the Champion, they haven't been around long enough, but I don't believe it will be true for them.

If you are going with the best, why half-ass it here?

akrvbob said:
You haven't mentioned the Honda 3000, but in my opinion, it is your very best choice. I'm assuming with all you are doing for this rig you are thinking long-term, really long-term.

To my mind, if you are thinking long-term, you need to be thinking Honda. There is a reason they have their reputation, they have earned it over the decades!!

10-20 years from now the cost difference between the two will be meaningless to you, but your Honda may very well still be running as good as new and if there is a problem there will be a dealer, parts, and service everywhere for it.  

We can't know that about the Champion, they haven't been around long enough, but I don't believe it will be true for them.

If you are going with the best, why half-ass it here?

You make a really good point there Bob, thank you.

The Champion 3100 is half price of the Honda 3000, has a remote start/stop, and a 30-amp RV plug all built in.  It's just so tempting!

I don't plan on buying a genny for a while yet, so I'll keep this in mind.  All I know at this point is I'll definitely need a 3000-watt class genny.  Maybe I'll find some kind of sale/deal on a new Honda at point and grab it then.

Thank you for reminding me that the cost difference won't really be a big difference a couple years after the unit has been purchased.

Champion is not a new company, in fact the 3500/4000 open frame is likely the most popular generator in the RV community due to the amount of power vs dollar spent. I had two and they are practically bullet proof. When something does go wrong they have excellent customer service. The one advantage the Champion 3100i has over the Honda EU3000is is in its ability to handle larger surges meaning it can start a air conditioner at higher altitudes.

On the other hand the EU3000is is the quietest generator on the market and it is a Honda. It is a great generator if you can afford the price.

Honda is better, certainly for noise, and paying for longevity is well worth it if running hundreds of hours, but so many reports show that Champion really isn't that bad.

Thievery is the wild card.