Retiring in Rural America or South America?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moeway

Reaction score
I've been thinking about retirement, at a certain point we will all get to a point where we don't want to move around anymore. While being in an RV and always having new scenery is great, it does require work. Have any of you considered a nice peaceful spot in Argentina? It isn't terribly expensive, there's universal healthcare, and all you need is to show the Argentine Govt. that you receive Social Security in order to immigrate permanently (after 2 years you can apply to be a citizen). Besides the universal health care, it's got great weather. For you 2nd amendment people – so long as your FBI record is clean and you're ok with a bunch of paperwork you can own rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Real estate is also a bargain. Since their currency is pretty weak but you're based in US dollars, it can really help stretch your money. Anyway, something to think about, hope you all have a good New Years. Let me know what you think.

There was a time when I considered Bolivia for retirement. I've changed my outlook and decided if I was going to retire to a 3rd world country it would be Oklahoma.

Totally understand, but I'm not even considering Bolivia. I have been to Argentina and I can tell you it's not 3rd world. In fact I had dental work done in Buenos Aires. There are rough parts but there are huge swaths of the country that are on par with European standards.

Edit: check out http://www.zonaprop.com.ar/
This will give you real estate prices (pay attention to what currency the price is in)

I've heard Costa Rica is a common expatriate home.

Back when I was thinking along the same lines, I figured I'd want to be within reasonable driving distance of the US in case things fell apart. So I was looking around northern Mexico. I had also investigated a lot of places in the US but soon realized the desirable places were too expensive -- because they were desirable -- and the inexpensive places were inexpensive because they were crappy places to live.

RVTravel said:
...a common expatriate home.

For me, the point of living in a different country would be to enjoy living the way the locals do, to get immersed in the culture, not to live among a bunch of Americas who are there mostly because the weather is nice and the cost of living is low.

When I visited Costa Rica, I found that there's a lot of resentment towards the Americanos from the Ticos. The Americans tend to wall themselves off in gated communities, never learn anything of the local language or culture, and never interact with any Costa Ricans other than their maid and their landscaper.

I've been to Costa Rica a bunch of times and made friends with the locals. There are certain gringo types that aren't liked because they make no effort to assimilate. It comes down to yourself as and individual not what your citizenship is.

Lets face it a lot of Americans think that they're superior to other countries and nations. They have this I'm better than you attitude and therefore don't wish to assimilate. Mind you not all Americans but most.

I've been to Nicaragua - and looove it. Super inexpensive. Costa Rica is quite a bit more developed.

Argentina sounds amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk