Repurpose the disposal 1 lb. canister after use

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf2koc

Reaction score
Is there any way that I can recycle the 1 lbs green canister (like plastic bottles) or just throw it away? Kind of wasteful to throw it away after a day of use. For me, I'm averaging about 1.5 lbs per day (night tie heating, showering, cooking).

Other than a larger size tank for easy refill and minimal hookup/unhook to the gas hose, the actual cost for a disposable 1 lbs of propane canister is ~$3. Virtually all propane refill centers in Southern CA charge roughly about $2.80. Not a big incentive unless you're consuming high volume propane. Plus ~$50 investment in the 20 lbs tank.

It is possible to refill the 1lb tanks using an adapter and a bigger tank.

Otherwise, the empties make good shootin'.

that's $2.80 a gallon = 4lbs. so that 3 buck a pound disposable is about 12 bucks a gallon 4 times the price. or that 2.80 is about 70 cents a pound. btw 20lb tanks are usually about 25 bucks empty at home depot. if you remove the valve on the disposable cylinder they can be recycled just like any other steel/iron. highdesertranger

Small Camping Propane Cannisters are VALUABLE  Preps!  I have dozens of them!

As mentioned above, you can refill them from a larger tank.  If you do this many times, the valve eventually gives out, but my experience has been I can refill 10-15 times before valve failure.  I haven't figured out a way to repair the valves as of yet.  Anybody got any ideas on this I am all ears.

The first use obviously is way more expensive than buying bulk propane, but then refilling them the price is the same and they are more convenient to use on portable equipment.

They are also a fabulous barter item.

Thanks for the tip. I was not looking carefully at the units on the 1 lb canister. I'm in a converted minivan and space is scarce. I'm looking into buying the 11 lb Manchester tank (http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Ta...1447599309&sr=8-5&keywords=10+lb+propane+tank). From what I read at Amazon.com, it'll fit into a smaller 12x12" milk crate. The standard 20 lbs tank is too big and I can't stack store them. I love the Mr Heater MH9BX model of heater. It's fast and easy to get warm during this winter. The last obstacle is cheap propane then I'll be set.

After seeing the pro and cons of refilling the 1 lb propane canister (freezing the canister, not getting 100% refill, etc), I rather get the 11 lbs tank and be done with it.

highdesertranger said:
that's $2.80 a gallon = 4lbs. so that 3 buck a pound disposable is about 12 bucks a gallon 4 times the price. or that 2.80 is about 70 cents a pound. btw 20lb tanks are usually about 25 bucks empty at home depot. if you remove the valve on the disposable cylinder they can be recycled just like any other steel/iron. highdesertranger

People have made air tanks out of them. Very limited use as the volume is so small, but would be good for blowing the dust off the keyboard or some such thing.

Lonewolf, a quick tip on freezing before refilling : if you're out in the boondocks and dont have a freezer, fill the 1 pounder from your INVERTED 20 or 11 pounder, then disconnect, PUT ON GLOVES, and using a pencil (something non-"sparkable") push on the valve and release gas from the 1 pounder for 5-10 seconds, then hook back up to the 20 and you'll get about an 85+% refill. DONT FORGET THE GLOVES !
KinA

one thing I don't get about refilling the disposable canisters. if a person already has a 20lb cylinder why would they bother with refilling the 1lb cylinders. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
one thing I don't get about refilling the disposable canisters.  if a person already has a 20lb cylinder why would they bother with refilling the 1lb cylinders.  highdesertranger

Many reasons.

1st off, they are more portable and EZ to move around.  So if I feel like grilling the fish right by the lake instead of driving the Ewz back to the bugout machine, its EZ to carry the grill and a propane cannister.  It is NOT EZ to carry a 20lb cylinder.  It can be done, but it takes it's own special trip.

2nd, at least in the old days when the legs still worked right I didn't stay with the vehicle all the time, sometimes I would go hiking for a day or two.  Take a propane cannister and a burner with me to heat up the freeze dried food.

3rd, if you ever have to abandon your vehicle for whatever reason, you can't carry a 20lb tank.  You can carry 2 or 3 small cannisters though.

4th, as mentioned they are great barter items.  They cost $3 new, but I can refill one for less than a dollar and trade it with somebody for $2 worth of something they have I could use.

You could weld on a ring and use it for jug fishing.If you do this ,let me know how it works out.They make a great target out at about 300 yds.

I have a question for those who want to shoot them as targets: When target practice is finished, do you go out and gather up the canisters and any shrapnel?

I have NOTHING against target practice -- if you are going to carry, you really NEED to practice.

But here is what I hate: finally finding a nice boondocking spot on the Little Blackfoot River near Avon, MT, at a busy time just before July 4th. Get out of my van to walk to the fire ring and look around... and, for at least a few yards, there are shell casings everywhere. About two sites down was a father with two little girls in flip-flops -- and I'm hoping they don't have this metal trash everywhere.

Of course, there are a few beer cans tossed into the fire ring, too. If I had not been a short while later besieged by a dozen or more orange butterflies visiting inside my van, my mood likely would have remained dark from that trash until I left the next day.

Writerms,Hope you stopped in at High Country Jerky in Lincoln for some good snacks.The last time I was in the area,there were plans for some kind of mine.Don't know what happened with that.As far as cleaning up after shooting,when I shoot there's usually nothing left to pick up.Kinda like "Quigly Down Under".

Harbor Freight usually have the adapters for refilling from the 20 lb tank. 

For those not familiar with them:

conew_2.jpg

You can find their 20% off coupons easily enough so that you can get one for around $15 dollars.
(comes with instructions)

I've sit around parks & campgrounds and watched people walk over to the trash can and pitch them
so there are plenty of "fair game" bottles that have only been used once out there.  

For my Mr Buddy propane heater I have a hose that I can use to connect to it to the 20 Lb tank.
But sometimes,  the green bottles are more convenient, and they aren't that difficult to recharge.

There are videos in Youtube showing how to go about it.

Space is extremely limited in my minivan. Practically everything else is needed and the last thing I need is a big 20 lbs combustible propane tank right on top of my head when sleeping. I have to use a 11 lbs tank and it fits snugly into a 12x12x10.5" milk crate that I can stack up in the front part of the van. If it ever explodes, at least the top part of the milk crate (with other stuff stored) will reduce the impact vs leaving the tank fully exposed. So far I'm fairly comfortable with storing the expensive 1 lb canisters inside a water proof plastic hard case (Pelican 1650). Because I want convenience of using the tank while in milk crate storage position, the milk crate is an ideal setup for me in a tight minivan.

Is it possible to use it on a 11 lbs tank (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C77UYA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00) vs the standard 20 lbs tank? The concern here is that there may not be enough pressure output on the 11 lbs to refill the small 1 lb green canister.

eDJ_ said:
Harbor Freight usually have the adapters for refilling from the 20 lb tank. 

For those not familiar with them:

conew_2.jpg

You can find their 20% off coupons easily enough so that you can get one for around $15 dollars.
(comes with instructions)

I've sit around parks & campgrounds and watched people walk over to the trash can and pitch them
so there are plenty of "fair game" bottles that have only been used once out there.  

For my Mr Buddy propane heater I have a hose that I can use to connect to it to the 20 Lb tank.
But sometimes,  the green bottles are more convenient, and they aren't that difficult to recharge.

There are videos in Youtube showing how to go about it.