Repurpose old furniture for Sprinter - Anxiety today:

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
I am planning on buying a Sprinter hightop cargo van. 
I have watched dozens (and dozens) of videos and diy videos.
I was thinking maybe I can repurpose some of my current furniture - I have no idea what is practical (realistic) and what is just not going to work.
Picture attached below.
What do you all think about putting a portable potty in the seat (it is hinged) of an antique oak (6' tall) hall tree and utilizing the hooks for misc?
What about using this 5' tall 14" wide) pie safe for dishes?
I would like to make containers and take the stuff in the pie safe with me too ...
Clothes and shoes ... hoping these fit under alternating slat bed
Also have an antique table (about 14" wide) that I would like to make into a galley and inset one of those big bowls in the pie safe ...

Is it practical to use this furniture or more practical to go with IKEA type stuff?
I just didn't realize how much stuff I have and I really don't believe in storage - I would rather sell or gift stuff than pay to store them.
Today for the first time this is stressful instead of exciting  :(

Attachments

• aaaFullSizeRender.jpg
    aaaFullSizeRender.jpg
    287 KB
Practical does not seem to be what you're after there :cool:

I'd say relax leave the space open as possible don't do your customization until last.

Spend time in the space, try one piece at a time, travel, camp, then try another then see how two pieces work together.

Incrementally build on what works, spirit of play. . .

Some of the nicest self-builds that I've seen used repurposed furniture. They have a homey comfortable appearance. Older furniture is alway sturdier than anything you'll buy from Ikea.

Is there room to sit comfortably on the bench of your hall tree? If so it would be a great place for a portable potty. Your other pieces sound like they'd work well too. You may need to cut the furniture so if they're more valuable as antiques it might be better to sell or store them and buy furniture from a thrift store.

Tape off the dimensions of your chosen van on your livingroom floor. set all of the furniture in place, and try living in the space to get an idea if it will work for you. The van will probably be a little different so be prepared to make changes.

Things to be aware of:
    Watch the weight so you don't overload the van.
    Don't make the van top heavy.
    Secure the furniture to the walls and floor.
    Try to balance the load evenly front to back and side to side.

In case you haven't seen it yet, a video of Mechanic Mike's van -