Replacing doors...where to begin?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbit

Reaction score
I am going to need some new\used doors. I never priced doors in a junkyard before. $350+?!?(Drivers door). Holy crap I was hoping $100 a pop or cheaper on the doors. Was my search mojo bad and the prices aren't really that high? If they are that expensive, are there still deals on doors out there?

Replacing a van door seems like it should be straight forward enough, is it? Thanks.

Also, any recommendations on a jack? It sits pretty high clearance, higher than it looks in my avatar pic. And then will 6 ton jack stands work? I have a pair of harbor freight 3 ton, but the van sits up so high the jack stands would prob be at max height. I'm thinking the stands at max height would make it less stable.

I just checked my favorite local U-Pull-It online site and they list front van doors at about $100

Sometimes those boutique junkyards with already pulled inventory are $$$

what kinda of van, year make model would help. find a pick-a-part. last time a bought a door from them it was 35 bucks and it was a brand new door. 350 bucks for a junk yard door is outrageous. as far as the jack stands I would not put my life on the line with anything from Harbor Freight. get your self a nice set of proper height stands. highdesertranger

Its a 96 Dodge Ram Van 3500 360 5.9L
That's really good to hear about the $$$, I was just looking online and not IRL. I am taking it in tomm to the service shop, if that's doable with budget then after the mechanics I am hoping to find a body\welder guy to help with exterior cosmetics. After that I finally will start the interior. Its kinda hard to just twiddle my thumbs now and wait, I think January two years ago this was supposed to happen. Then life...lol.

Where do you live? The car-part.com that HDS gave you can narrow your search down by state or region of the country.  Be aware Dodge van front doors are noted for weak hinges.  You can get the hinges on Ebay and some parts stores.  You might find a smaller family type wrecking yard on Craigslist under "auto parts".

Drivers side door doesn't quite seat right when closed. That would explain that. Thanks! gonna go see if I can find what the fix is.

EDIT: I'm in the 52806 area.

are your doors dented or rusted or are the hinges bad? they sell hinges and bushing kits

The driver side door seems solid, just doesn't close tight. It also doesn't lock but the lock rod itself is broken. I am hoping that a repair kit works, otherwise a new hinge and used door aredoable.

The passenger side is setup like a schoolbus release lever. I am planning on replacing the door so it can be opened normally. I am going to weld the "head room" attachment back on. Well, not me welding, but someone. The side doors work, but they are slightly damaged and if 200 bucks replaces them, that will happen in time.

Its a pipe dream but Van-Tramps recent paintjob is something I would love to happen. But before that, the tedious semi restoration or whatever.

At the risk of sounding like an echo.  You are going to find buying a new LOWER hinge a spray can of paint. and some time and a few bad words you can replace the hinge and fix your problem.  you can do this without removing the door, just support it from the bottom, three bolts on the door and 3 bolts on the body.  You will have to remove a bunch of plastic pieces behind the emergency brake pedal and I had to get real rough with the piece to the left of the emergency brake pedal but I did NOT remove the pedal.  There are 3 Bolts in a hole that bolt to the hinge itself.  Takes a little time; just think of it as a puzzle.  I bought the bushings for he top hinge and that wasn't much a problem.  You can do it on the van, but if you decide to take the door off you have to remove the armrest and door panel and unplug all the wires in the door.  I worked in a Dodge parts department at one time and hinges are a major profit center for Dodges.

Got a lil look at it today(dam cold). When the door is fully open, there isn't much play when lifting it up\down. It seems the upper left back part of the drivers door just doesn't fit tight. I am going to pick up a camera tomm and I think the picture will tell the guy that recognizes it what the issue is. You guys are great, sue you already know that but, there it is.

could the door just be misadjusted? folks think they don't adjust, but there is a bit of wiggle there in most vehicles, though I'm not that familiar with Dodge vans

Or bent? It really seems from what I can see on it, its the upper corner edge of door just not shutting. When I run my hand from the van and over the seam and door, it looks\seem flush. I ordered a camera last night gonna pick it up today and post a pic. Post a lot of pics...lol. It needs alotta love.

Yeah if it's bent, hinges and adjustments won't help
be curious to know how it got that way without the doorway getting bent, too though

Ok here are some pics. Hopefully they help.

First two are just showing the D.Door just to show it seems to sit properly
96Dodge3500DD.jpg
96DodgeOD.jpg

This pic is showing the air gap at the upper corner of the door when closed.
96DodgeID.jpg

Next one shows hinges, doesn't show much, but there is a old bead of what looks like some kind of liquid weld, no idea. But both the hinges look like the have been redone? The red lines are mine showing the broken bead. No idea hopefully pic helps.
96DodgeDUH.jpg

The Rubber seal thing that goes around the door edge is there, I could just rig something to block the gap. Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• 96Dodge3500DD.jpg
    96Dodge3500DD.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 96DodgeID.jpg
    96DodgeID.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 96DodgeDUH.jpg
    96DodgeDUH.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 96DodgeOD.jpg
    96DodgeOD.jpg