replacing a trailer jack plate w/a wheel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unca_T

Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I hope everyone is doing well.

I was wondering is it possible to replace the foot on the tongue trailer jack with a
wheel and if so what are the considerations? Type of wheel and weight that sort of thing.

Wishing y'all the best.

I have a wheel on the tongue of my motorcycle trailer (1 MC only) and it will only roll on a hard and smooth surface (concrete or asphalt). It is a heavy enclosed trailer though. All steel and I have never weighed it. I cannot pick up the tongue either (with or without motorcycle in it). It has a motorized lift on it and the wheel is up inside the V nose when traveling.

I had to replace the wheel once. It is only held on with a clevis(?) pin and is easily changeable. Pull pin, drop off foot or wheel, slide new one on and replace pin.

If you are wanting to reposition a heavier trailer by hand, they make a two wheel dolly with a ball on top for just this purpose.

I use a plate, considered a wheel but the wheel would hang down closer to the ground so I would have to remove it during travel. It would also have to be removed sometimes to get the trailer to level at the campsite.

Most of the trailer jacks I looked at had a 2" tube with a hole for a clevis pin.  While traveling I always put on a footplate.  This would prevent the tube from digging in if the trailer were to become unhitched on the road.

Footplate.JPG

When I can setup on concrete I attach a Wheel w Caster Assembly.  My trailer is light enough that on a level hard surface I can move it by myself.  This lets me pull straight into my stepson's driveway, instead of backing in.  Switch to the caster before unhitching and then move the trailer beside the van and spin it around.
Caster for 2" Diameter Jacks 

Removable 6 in Poly Caster.JPG

Attachments

• Footplate.JPG
    Footplate.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 3
  • Removable 6 in Poly Caster.JPG
    Removable 6 in Poly Caster.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 3
This is good to know. My whole point with the switching is I need to move the trailer in small increments because of where it's at.
It's sitting in our driveway between our house and the neighbors fence the distance between is like ten feet or so. This is my first
time with a trailer so it feels a little like threading a needle without my glasses on. Ha ha.That's suppose to be funny.
This is why I want to try putting a wheel on it and maneuvering the whole thing. I also need to put it on some leveling things
because it's a bit of an angle.
Maybe I can find a double wheel thing which I can just slide into the existing jack like vjg1077 suggested.

Wow, y'all have been really helpful. Thank you so much.
I ended up getting a single wheel which has a weight rating of 1200 pounds
and that is the exact weight rating of my tongue or at least it says so on the metal.
Elissa and I hooked up the trailer and took an hour or so to pull it out and back it in better. Now, it's backed in
and on the little yellow blocks.
Did you know this camper thing has a built in TV aerial.

Thanks again y'all.