Renting storage unit to charge 2nd set of batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gburke1

Reaction score
I recently got a van and would like to move in asap but need to have electric set up first. I can't afford the solar yet - but was thinking I could get 2 sets of batteries, rent a storage unit, and simply charge them at the storage unit and swap out as needed.

This probably wouldn't work unless I inform the storage facility that I will pay for electricity costs for the unit.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience doing something similar.

gburke1 said:
I recently got a van and would like to move in asap but need to have electric set up first. I can't afford the solar yet - but was thinking I could get 2 sets of batteries, rent a storage unit, and simply charge them at the storage unit and swap out as needed.

This probably wouldn't work unless I inform the storage facility that I will pay for electricity costs for the unit.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience doing something similar.
The guy next to my step van in the storage place where I keep my van uses the electrical outlet on the building across from us to periodically charge the batteries on his bloated wort hog (read: 40 ft plus diesel motor home). Why he needs to do this is beyond me since he drives it regularly and runs his genny also but to each his own. So you can probably do that although it would be a major pain to swap batteries all the time.

A second set of batteries and the 110v charger would likely cost more than an acceptable solar setup, I don't know... but those 100w panel kits with the 30a controller are under $200 and you can add a few more panels when you have spare cash. Each pair of golf cart batteries are over $200 and even the cheapest deep cycle car/marine batteries are around $100ea.

I plan on ordering 3 of the LG 300w panels as I am wanting a 900w system

gburke1, I've never stayed at a storage faciity myself, but I do know of people who have and done exactly what you describe, so it is possible.

Because every city and state is so different, we can't really help you with the specifics. Your best bet is to just go around and ask storage yards what their policies are, I think there is a fair chance you'l find it. Let us know how it turns out.

Some other thoughts to consider:

I know guys who have run ads on craigslist looking to rent a space in peoples driveway and have had no problem finding it. They offered $100 a month and said they would only be there overnight. I know some who could run an extension cord and paid another $50 for electricity.

It might be out of your price range, but maybe you can get into an RV park for $250-$300. If not, maybe you can get into a tent space, often they have an outlet you can plug into.

Or, you could just go into an RV park once or twice a week to shower, do laundry and charge your batteries.

Finally, I'd seriously consider getting whatever solar you can afford right now as a base to start with, and then simply add the rest later. That's how I did mine. I started 6 years ago with a single 50 watt panel and have added 3 more since them, all in different years.

Good luck!!
Bob

Do they have electrical outlets in storage units? I would think that that's an open invitation for people to do highly risky things that can set the whole place on fire, like leaving batteries on chargers there unattended :) Then there's potential abuse of the utility by running high energy appliances, tools, etc.

If money's the problem, maybe you can go the ghetto route first by clamping some really long jumper cables ($20) out the window to connect your house batteries to the starter battery. Maybe buy 4 small C-clamps to make sure that the cables don't fall off and short out on your van.

If this works OK, then go for the "battery relocation kit" that are around $70....until you can buy some solar stuff.

How cheap are units? You can get small genny for around 200. Or grab a 100panel kit for 150, and add onto it later, if its sunny where you are and you conserve that should be good enough. Id go to the park and ride, fire up my genny and charge my batteries, cost like a 1.50 in gas back when it was 3.70 a gal

With your plan, unless you're swapping your pair of batteries every day or two, they won't be happy.  You'll likely end up draining each battery below 50% depth of discharge, which will shorten each battery's useful lifespan.

Given the weight of lead-acid batteries, if you are swapping them out every day or two, you won't be happy.

The first place to begin designing a system to provide electricity is to look at the loads you expect the system to provide.  On the low end, if all you need is some light by which to read and/or see at night, you could very well get by with one or two $15 Luci solar-powered lanterns.  I kept a fully-charged Luci Outdoor lantern, set on low power, running in my apartment's windowless bathroom for 10+ hours.  At the end of that time, the Luci still put out enough light for reading.