Renting a driveway or a spot on private property?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyntonstu

Reaction score
If you plan on staying in one place for work, etc. and you do not want to hunt for a new location every night, have you considered approaching a homeowner or a business owner to rent a spot?

Yes very common, but forget most established respectable folk, what will the neighbors say, liability issues.

Craigslist, but know that municipality's rules first.

Lots of folks have relatives who visit with their RV's parked in their driveway.

Rent a relative?

There are many (maybe most) communities use the National Building Code by reference. They ban any "camping" or Sleeping in a camper in municipal limits. If utilities, all systems deny connection to water and sewer.

But for a couple weeks at a time, no hookups, stealth mode, usually can get away with it long as the neighbors don't complain.

Some places much fussier than others.

Obviously not visible from the road makes things easier.

A deal with a low-rent business is ideal, you're providing on-site overnight security, maybe can barter some as-needed labor as well.

Zil said:
There are many (maybe most) communities use the National Building Code by reference. They ban any "camping" or Sleeping in a camper in municipal limits. If utilities, all systems deny connection to water and sewer.

In 2004 we had 2 hurricanes 10 days apart, Francis and Jean.

Our neighbor put a fairly large camper in his driveway and lived in it while repairing his house.

After the repairs, he maintained it as an office for another year or so,

The city is very strict on enforcing their ordinances and they made him strap it down or unstrap it.  I forget.

My point is that a stealthy van would most likely have been ignored.

This is my plan when working...find a rancher or farmer who is willing to rent out a corner of a field somewhere fairly close to where I am working but out in the county. I get involved in the local church and try to make connections that way

I rent a space in a persons backyard behind his fence. My father paid for electric to be run to the TC. It has worked out well for both of us. I leave my TC off of the truck, have all the comforts I want and the security of his GS.

I found the spot on Craigslist, he ran a background check on me and I ran one on him.

Boyntonstu said:
If you plan on staying in one place for work, etc. and you do not want to hunt for a new location every night, have you considered approaching a homeowner or a business owner to rent a spot?

It's an awesome idea... I know so many parking lots/gravel areas around marinas etc with AMAZING views in my city.  I'm going to inquire around too.  $150 a month or so is doable for me.  

But it's tough, because if you outright say what you'll be doing they may feel compelled to say no legally.  Hard to ask people to break the law for you.  On the other hand, they may be totally willing to allow it just so long as they don't officially "know."  I'm planning on showing up in my vehicle so they can see it and maybe say it's a camper conversion, without volunteering the info that I live in it.  I think that will be enough to be able to read them.  

Anyone with any experience let us know

I can't really imagine too many property owners will be swayed by $150 a month, there's so much liability involved.

IMO you're looking for a kind-hearted fool, or someone that likes you enough to take a chance on this.

Approaching it that way will likely be more productive, never mind about the "rent" idea.

Maybe a business that wouldn't mind a free security guard on site at night?

Offer to do some other labor in barter?