Renogy Eclipse panels?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleBeginnings

Reaction score
I'm currently a weekend warrior hoping to go full-time in about 9 months.

My power consumption seems pretty mild, and by that I mean I ran my 2 x 100Ah AGMs down from 12.9v to 12.5v over 5 days running my fridge, fan, pump, and lights. I know that isn't the most informative data, but it's the data I have. As you can see, for short trips I don't need solar. But to go full-time I will.

I'm leaning towards an MPPT kit (I know there are disagreements on this topic, let's not debate MPPT/PWM here please).

My thought is to start with 200W and increase to 300-400W only if necessary. I know I can put two panels on my roof without any concern, and I'm pretty sure I can mount three-wide (but I haven't mounted my cross bars yet so that's a little TBD). I could probably get creative with a fourth if I had to but my roof fan is in the middle of the van and I plan to use the rear for a cargo rack. 

My question for this thread is: panel selection

I've been looking primarily at Renogy panels. I've searched here for information about the Eclipse line, but I don't see too much mention of it. For those who have the Eclipse, do you feel they were worth the extra money? Has anybody had experience with both the standard and Eclipse Renogy panels to compare?

Below is information from Renogy's site regarding their 100W panel options (I've rounded some values slightly for simplicity):

100W 12v polycrystalline panel - $120 - 40" x 27" - 14.56% efficiency
100W 12v monocrystalline panel - $140 - 47" x 21" - 15.47% efficiency 
Eclipse 100W 12v monocrystalline panel - $220 - 41" x 21" - 18.35% efficiency 

By my calculations, using the poly panel's cost and efficiency as a "100%" baseline:
  - the mono panel adds 6.25% more efficiency for 16.7% higher cost

- the Eclipse panel adds 26.03% more efficiency for 83.3% higher cost

I'm not sure how real these efficiency numbers are, so this comparison may not make sense.

Increased efficiency is definitely worth it if you are constrained by space (ie, can't get in that 4th panel otherwise). if you have room for 400w at either efficiency I'd go with the cheapest per watt, all other things being equal.

[Just thought of somthing else: it is conceivable that a higher-efficiency panel could be the same cost if the size/weight means it costs less to ship.]

amazon.pngI bought 3 of the 100 watt Renogy Eclipes panels in June on Amazon.  I paid $130 a piece for them.  They was $199 when I first looked at them and they had a big sell on them later on.  I just saved it in my wish list until they was at a cheaper price.  I can't help you on how well they work.  I don't have my van yet so they are stored away in their box.  I just couldn't pass up on the price.  I wanted the smaller size of the Eclipes panels.  So if you have time to wait you might get them at a cheaper price.  And yes they are new.

Attachments

• amazon.png
    amazon.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 20
I use two of them as portable solar panels and I'm extremely pleased with them. At 17 lbs a piece they are light enough for me to handle easily.

I had a 100 W Renogy suitcase but it was heavy and the controller was on the suitcase so it wasn't particularly weather resistant. I needed 200 W minimum, didn't have room for a second suitcase and wanted a controller that was permanently installed in my 'electrical room' so that only the panels were out in the rain.

IMO, the added efficiency is well worth the extra bucks but I got them primarily because the 2 - 100 watt panels combined weigh less than the 100 lb suitcase so they don't take up any more space and are easy for me to handle.

HumbleBeginnings said:
For those who have the Eclipse, do you feel they were worth the extra money?

I have the suitcase with Eclipse panels.  While I loathe the weight of the suitcase, they work magnificently.  I can't compare to "standard" panels, but they do deliver to specs.  Renogy is advertising a sale coming this week...

HumbleBeginnings said:
 I ran my 2 x 100Ah AGMs down from 12.9v to 12.5v over 5 days running my fridge, fan, pump, and light

make sense.

First, it doesn't sound like you need lots of watts- probably one of any of those panels would more than do you.

Second, you're right about making sense- if you think sometime in future you might lose it and decide you just have to have gluttonous appliances, then you'd never have enough, LoL

Last, we all know the latest hyped up cell phone, computer or gadget we paid a premium for a few months ago is just old news now. Same with some solar panel- in a few months that'll be the standard- or- even yesterday's news*.

But, it's very difficult to resist the upsell- 

*Not to get a Solar geek discussion going, but isn't even the Eclipse's efficiency number low- relative high efficiency panels??

Sunpower cells are around 21%

many brands use them, and they also assemble whole panels and I believe sell direct

I have heard good things from owners of the eclipse panels and would love to get a set to test. I do agree that for a percent or two you have to decide if that efficiency is not only something that benefits you but is worthy of the extra expense. In a space limited situation it may be but with out that restriction you could get a third panel for not just a few percent difference but a lot more power.

Jim, how long do you need a pair of Eclipse to test them?

Mine are portable so you could borrow them....for a price..... :D :D :p (food Jim, food!!)

I appreciate all the responses. If I'm understanding efficiency correctly, I'd get more power out of 3 x 100W regular panels than out of 2 x 100W Eclipse panels for less money. I put some Eclipse panels in my Amazon cart... if they go on sale that changes everything. Otherwise I'll probably go with a 300W system.

Can I ask a question? Is there a way to secure solar panels to van roof for when driving down road but also an easy way to take them off roof to park in shade and lay them out? ( please bare with me I am trying so hard to understand it.) I understand cooking, knitting, and crocheting. Trying to understand solar and how to install it, and how to use it.

laurielovesGary said:
Can I ask a question? Is there a way to secure solar panels to van roof for when driving down road but also an easy way to take them off roof to park in shade and lay them out?  ( please bare with me I am trying so hard to understand it.) I understand cooking, knitting, and crocheting. Trying to understand solar and how to install it, and how to use it.

Yes, use L brackets on the panels and lock pins on corners instead of bolts, just pull pins to remove. I.E. two long L brackets on roof and two on the panels, drill a hole on each of the 4 corners and install pins.

metallics-everbilt-pins-rings-clips-807468-64_300.jpg
everbilt-bar-flats-tubes-rods-802527-64_400_compressed.jpg

Most of the installations I have done were Eclipse panels. 

They work much better in low light situations such as cloudy days. Think of the extra cost as insurance. 

Renogy stands behind all of their products. I trust them.

I've been thinking about this for a while now, and it seems to me I would be better off with 3 regular monocrystalline panels than 2 eclipse panels. Is my logic sound on this?

Regular: 
3 x 100W @ 15.47% efficiency for $280

Eclipse:
2 x 100W @18.35% efficiency for $440

I'm not exactly sure how to calculate what efficiency would do for me. Is it as simple as: 3*100W*.1547 = 46.41W ?

No, those efficiency ratings only apply to controlled standards test conditions, lots of performance variability between types depending on specific conditions.

IMO base decision on vendor rep for build quality and service, then

Cost per watt

Maximizing watts per available space

Then pay a bit of a premium for the efficiency rating

Ideal conditions, understood. I'm just thinking for a comparison basis between models.

Since both are Renogy, the vendor rep is the same.

Cost per watt:
Standard: 300W for 3*$140=$420, $1.40/W (note my previous post incorrectly stated $280)
Eclipse: 200W for 2*$220=$440, $2.20/W

The standard seems like a no brainer, assuming I have space for 3 panels vs 2, which I do.

Yes getting 300 vs 200 nominal watts will certainly overwhelm any differences between panel types.