Renogy 160 Watt Flexible

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsyjoe#1

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Renogy 160 watt flexible solar panels? I am considering them for several reasons 1. they are very thin and light weight 2. instead of having to attach a mounting system to the roof of my mh and drilling a bunch of holes etc. they can be attached with adhesive. Any thoughts anyone?

I don't have any experience with renogy panels. I have two 100 watt windynation panels attached to my roof with industrial strength velcro. My class B+ has a fiberglass roof though. I used the foam padding they came with and cut small pieces to use as spacers to keep the panels from directly contacting the roof (a little airflow to keep them cooler)

Like Brian said, the big thing that gets these flexible panels is heat buildup. I would NOT mount them flush on something without airflow in the back... I've seen them literally burn fabric biminis on boats, and even if you mount them flush on something flame proof they will fail prematurely because they get too hot.

Read the Renogy warranty very carefully, they are extreme sticklers about warranty work (ask me how I know...) so do your best to make sure nothing about how you set it up or mount it voids the warranty.

-- Bass

The reason I was looking at adhesive mounting is I am not capable of getting to the roof of my MH as I am handicapped so cannot take on off. I do not want to have any more holes drilled in my roof than absolutely necessary. I don't think your industrial velcro would hold going down the road so that is very limiting. Not sure what the answer is but I am not capable of going up there and building mounts. I might and that is a big might get up there once to do something but even that will be very hard. I thought with adhesive I could hire someone for not a lot of money to glue them down and run wire. Looks like I need to look for another method.

Are those the new(ish) panels Renogy brought out specifically for mounting on Airstreams. If so then they are meant to be flush mounted.

My only concern with mounting them with adhesive is that the bond is between the panel and whatever coating you have on the roof. If it's a painted surface then the paint could separate from the roof material long.

Yes these are the panels that are supposedly for flush mounting, but from what the others say will be bad if no air flow. I really don't know but that is really what I am looking for is flush mount. I was thinking 3 or 4 on top of my class A would give me lots of power at 160 watts each. I don't think the paint would be a problem but then that is something to think about.

Mine have stayed on in winds over 85 MPH (a headwind). The biggist concern is what the roof is made out of. If you have a rubber roof, drilling holes and using dicor would be my method. If you have a fiberglass or metal roof, the industrial velcro would work (as long as the paint or gelcoat is in good shape. I don't remove my roof panels. I have two more that I can connect to my solar controller when I need more charging, rain, shade, etc. My panels are only spaced off the roof the thickness of the shipping padding (3/8"?) and small squares (~1").

Prep is a key for the velcro. I used rubbing alcohol to clean the back of the panels and the roof (gets rid of the wax on the roof and contaminats on the panels). Put the velcro around the perimeter leaving a little gap in the corners to the side for some airflow.

I put the velcro on the panels first and left the tape on the other side (toward roof). I laid some sticks across the roof to support the panel in position before removing the tape. Removed the tape at one end and pulled back the tape a little ways down each side. While holding the sticky off the stick I removed the stick and fastened the end of the panel to the roof. Pick up the other end and finish removing the tape and lay it down. Press to complete bond. I laid plywood on the panels and a few bricks around the edges when the weather was warm.

Its a fiberglass roof and the paint is very good as far as I can tell. I know it looks shiny and like it is new although I have never been up there just seen it from a second story window. I am going to have to hire someone to actually do the work. I am surprised the velcro held with such high speed, I wish I were near you so I could see your setup, oh well

Thank you for the info and the link to your install, looks good. I am going to go with 4 of the 160 watt panels and I will still have room for a couple more if the need arises. My next thing is finding someone to do the install I might try to hire a local handy man that has good references. I wish I could do it myself as I would feel better about it. Oh well! Anyhow thanks to those who spoke up and put in their two cents worth.

Gypsyjoe#1 said:
The reason I was looking at adhesive mounting is I am not capable of getting to the roof of my MH as I am handicapped so cannot take on off. I do not want to have any more holes drilled in my roof than absolutely necessary. I don't think your industrial velcro would hold going down the road so that is very limiting. Not sure what the answer is but I am not capable of going up there and building mounts. I might and that is a big might get up there once to do something but even that will be very hard. I thought with adhesive I could hire someone for not a lot of money to glue them down and run wire. Looks like I need to look for another method.

Renogy specifically says they can be mounted with velcro or adhesive, so they can hardly fault you for doing so. Like you, I don’t trust Velcro. I lost one and barely saved another last fall because I had a brain blip and confused butyl tape with VHB tape. However, I originally had a 39x39” traditional panel mounted with VHB at the Van Build. It lasted with no issues for nearly a year on my fiberglass top van. Only removed it because I bought a Max Air fan. It has a fin that exceeds the standard 14x14. That stuck out under the panel, so the fan couldn’t raise all the way. If VHB can hold that heavy sucker, it can hold the 160 W panels.

The panels were relatively easy to install for my inexperienced friend. Granted, the input to the solar controller and the batteries were already set up. I’ve heard good things about Renogy providing phone support and advice for installs, but not sure how staffed they are now.

BTW, if you haven’t purchased them, they’re $229 on Amazon right now, I’ve had it in my cart for a while to replace the one I lost, but they were nearly $300 a month ago.

Also, RV wjth Tito posted a video using corrugated plastic as a heat barrier, thought it might be helpful to you.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sub2rainEN said:
Also, RV wjth Tito posted a video using corrugated plastic as a heat barrier, thought it might be helpful to you.

I like the idea of that corrugated plastic, actually looks kind of good watching the video. I don't think I would cut out for the bolt head though. I think you would be weakening the plastic too much where you are going to be putting the most stress!

I share that concern. Ill probably take my chances without the plastic layer. I guess you/we could just do VHB to connect it to the roof and panel. I think he used screws so he could upgrade later. You’ll notice he has several older, adhesive flat panels elsewhere on the roof.

He also can always go up and fix it. As someone with mobility issues, like you, I would be paying someone else to do it. I need a maintenance free solution (to the degree that’s possible). They’re still on his roof, haven’t seen where he had needed to replace the plastic, but he might not have done a video for that.

Is there an echo in here? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry so much about holes. Just be sure you use good sealants when doing the installation. The marine sealants are made to withstand very harsh conditions. They are more expensive than RV products but worth the onetime extra cost.