removing seats (more of a business than mechanics question)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
I'm thinking about removing the back seats from an SUV, and I'm wondering about the best way to do it. (I gather that this task is DIY-able but awkward -- and anyway, I'd need to dispose of the seats as this would be a permanent change if it happens.)

Would a salvage yard do this?
Would they be likely to charge me for disposing of the seats? pay me for them? do the work for free in exchange for getting the seats?
Is there a better option?

I know I can call around auto shops etc., but I'd like to have a general grounding first so I don't sound like a complete patsy when I call. Thanks!

I would call around to a few local upholstery shops...tell them you'd donate the seats if they will un-bolt them and take them out. You may have some wiring for seatbelt sensors, rear airbag sensors, etc,  depending on the year and/or model of SUV.

I'm guessing you will get the interest of a couple of willing shops...but good upholstery shops are often backed up with work so it might take a few days or maybe a week before they could work you into the schedule.

Good points, tx2sturgis; thanks!

tx2sturgis said:
I would call around to a few local upholstery shops...
Just so you know, that worked great. Other people I asked said basically "how weird, no idea." But the first upholstery shop I called was super helpful and quoted a fair price. She mentioned (as you no doubt knew, but I didn't) that she has to take seats out to upholster them, so she's used to dealing with it. Thanks again.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Yes, they tend to have lots of experience pulling seats out.....again, thanks for the report and closure here.