REMOVING SEATS

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question about removing seats. I'm planning to purchase a used minivan soon and wondered what do most people do with the seats they remove? I don't want to pay for a storage unit and don't really have any place to keep them. Does anyone sell them or should one find a way to hang onto them for future?

I have a question about removing seats. I'm planning to purchase a used minivan soon and wondered what do most people do with the seats they remove? I don't want to pay for a storage unit and don't really have any place to keep them. Does anyone sell them or should one find a way to hang onto them for future?
I was in the same boat (no place to store the seats). I had them removed by an auto upholstery person (I never would have thought of that if someone here hadn't recommended it). It was pretty inexpensive. I think she later sold them on eBay (or tried to). I plan to hold onto this vehicle for as long as we both shall live, so I didn't have too many qualms about letting the seats go; but if you plan to resell at some later date YMMV.

At the eventual garage sale, I'll sell my seats... or give them away. If you live in or near a city you may be able to sell them for decent money if they are in good shape.

I kept the 3rd seat from the first suburban I bought, it was a huge nuisance trying to store it. After a year or so i took it to the wrecking yard, they wouldnt give me anything for it, but would take it. Good riddance. No amount of money was worth the annoyance factor.

The next Suburban I got, one of the first stops was the wrecking yard to get rid of that damned 3rd seat as fast as possible. Keeping carp is pretty low on my list any more. Let the next guy go find seats at the wrecking yard if they want them.

I removed the 2nd row seats when I bought my Honda Odyssey and threw 'em away, but the 3rd row folds down almost flat, so I'll keep those for resale value some day when I sell it. The above ideas work too. After all, those seats can be used indoors for a man-cave or something.

Our hardly used mid-ship captains seats were "skinned" and an automotive upholstery shop repadded and recovered the worn front seats with them. They are leather, and it was well worth the cost (around $200). The seat frames were recycled.

I kept the quick-release bases, thinking I might use them to secure a kitchen unit to the floor. They really need to go, since I can't see doing that now.

I like our stow & go & the rear one turns facing backward just hit the switch so you can sit in comfort with the back door up. It has 2 stools behind the front seats that turn 360 deg & locks every 90 deg. It has a table between them so you can play cards or use a laptop,

I actually bought the 2nd row seats from a Honda Odyssey for $40. I still plan trying to weld up supports in my old step van to rework the existing driver's and the passenger jumpseat.

I was in the same boat (no place to store the seats). I had them removed by an auto upholstery person (I never would have thought of that if someone here hadn't recommended it). It was pretty inexpensive. I think she later sold them on eBay (or tried to). I plan to hold onto this vehicle for as long as we both shall live, so I didn't have too many qualms about letting the seats go; but if you plan to resell at some later date YMMV.
Thank you :)

I like our stow & go & the rear one turns facing backward just hit the switch so you can sit in comfort with the back door up. It has 2 stools behind the front seats that turn 360 deg & locks every 90 deg. It has a table between them so you can play cards or use a laptop,

Our hardly used mid-ship captains seats were "skinned" and an automotive upholstery shop repadded and recovered the worn front seats with them. They are leather, and it was well worth the cost (around $200). The seat frames were recycled.

I kept the quick-release bases, thinking I might use them to secure a kitchen unit to the floor. They really need to go, since I can't see doing that now.

I kept the 3rd seat from the first suburban I bought, it was a huge nuisance trying to store it. After a year or so i took it to the wrecking yard, they wouldnt give me anything for it, but would take it. Good riddance. No amount of money was worth the annoyance factor.

The next Suburban I got, one of the first stops was the wrecking yard to get rid of that damned 3rd seat as fast as possible. Keeping carp is pretty low on my list any more. Let the next guy go find seats at the wrecking yard if they want them.

Having stored seats first from a Toyota Sienna and then from a Chevy Express, I would recommend getting rid of them however you can as soon as you can. In both cases, we thought we might need them in the future, but that has not turned out to be the case. The Sienna seats were ruined by mice in the shed and ended up having to be thrown out. The Express seats took up valuable space in the garage for two years before we got rid of them by donating them to a thrift store. The effort in our area to try to sell them just wasn't worth it to us. In hindsight, I wish we had tried to sell them as soon as they were removed or gotten rid of them at that time. Just my thoughts!