Removing bench seat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilac

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how to remove the rear bench seat from a 1994 dodge ram 250 van.I was told from a non van dweller that the gas tank would have to come out first but I am not so sure that's the right information. The carpet needs to be replaced since the pressboard underneath was rotted..Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That does not sound right to me, makes no sense in terms of typical car seat installation design. Seats are designed to be installed in a matter of seconds in the factory and in factories the interior work happens after the major exterior body work is completed. They don't want to risk damaging the interior or getting it dirty so that is why it happens just before the vehicle goes out the door. The seats will be one of the last things installed on the vehicle. I am a former factory girl, aircarft not cars, did a few years in final assembly. But I have watched videos of the assembly line processes on cars such as Mercedes and Volvos. Anyway what that person told you make no sense at all in terms of how vehicles are assembled. But standard methods sometimes have exceptions...

Just get a socket of the right size and try removing them. If they come out then the is problem solved. I don't have that particular van. But I have never had trouble removing the bolts on seats in various vehicles using a wrench or a socket, whichever is easier to fit in the space. If it won't budge and it looks rusty then you might need to use some rust busting liquid and let it soak in overnight before you try again.

I used a cutter\grinder on the interior bolt heads.

Thank You both for responding, I will do my best to remove this seat,I just have never done any kind of anything as far as a vehicle goes. Guess it's time to start learning.

My van was a custom build for a retirement home. There were about 6 bolts out of 50 that were blocked by the fuel tank. So, it is possible that the fuel tank is in the way of your seats. We have a relative who is a mechanic and owns his own shop. He charged us $100 to drop the fuel tank and remove all the bolts and 10 seats. My husband has had two shoulder replacements and two knee replacements so he can't do a lot of mechanical stuff that requires lifting or crawling.

Ten seats? That is one large van!

So you have a custom van. I bet the bench seat in the back used original mounting hardware locations to mount it which means just removing the bolts or nuts on the floor that you can see under the seat (not the van), it will come out.

Lilac said:
The seat is as n aftermarket seat

Could be thru bolted with nuts underneath if it is an aftermarket. Sometimes they can't use the original bolt locations on aftermarket seats. Just slide under there with a flashlight and look in the appropriate locations to see what is going on.

As you are a first timer at this kind of thing here is some tool advice to make it easier.  Head to your local hardware store or auto parts store and purchase an inspection mirror that has a built in LED light. It will come in handy for this kind of thing where you want to look under the van or see stuff down inside the engine compartment or even inside of cabinets where you can't look get a straight on view of things. By extending the mirror out on the handle you can even see stuff hidden from view such as bolts underneath of other things by looking at their reflection in the mirror. Of course it also doubles as a handy lighted mirror for other tasks.   LED inspection mirror

yeah I forgot to mention. the fuel tank doesn't sit right on the floor of the van there is a gap. a flexible person could probably get a wench between the floor and the tank. highdesertranger

:heart:
I appreciate the suggestions everyone gave me,I will let you know the outcome, I'm in California right now trying to get this 1994 dodge ram 250 road ready..shes a oldie but I have been told shes got a good moter.Got to get this bench seat out to replace the carpet and a few other things as well.Just got her some new tires,hoping to head down the road within a month.Also hoping to save some money and get a paint job ,I want her to look pretty.

oh too bad you did get a chance while it was up on the rack to ask the tire guys to take a look and see if they saw nuts on seat bolts underneath there. Oh well you will get it figured out, it is easy enough to figure out that seat removal situation.

Just turn them under the seat to loosen. If they loosen but then just spin easily or just stay hard to turn but don't seem to be coming out, there are nuts underneath to be dealt with. Easy to find out without looking.