Driver and passenger seat swap (looking for advice): 1989 RamB250

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOWb250

Reaction score
The current seats in my 1989 Dodge Ram B250 conversion van[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]are beat up, saggy, and uncomfortable for long drives. I want to get newer seats and mount them to the existing swivel brackets.

Does anyone have suggestions for what seats could be a good fit? These older vans aren't too common in the scrap yards around here. Has anyone done this with newer seats? Would appreciate some advice, or suggestions.

Thanks!

If you have some time to shop,  Google for listings of  "reupholstery near me".

There are a lot of small shops in basements & garages doing this type of work aside from their day jobs. (possibly doing the same work at a factory)  Contact some of them and if they are close enough visit them to show them the seats or take photos on your Cell Phone so that you could send them to their email.

A lot of these tradesmen are doing this work for some side money and may also be teaching their kids the trade after school.  Ask if they think it would be cheaper to reupholster the seats or find used ones to install in place of the older ones. Get a quote if they will offer one.

Next check out some larger wrecking yards and see if they can locate seats that would fit and be in good shape to swap.   They may go online and find some from other yards in their network and send photos of them.   See which is the lesser  expensive way to go.

Remember a skilled upholsterer can make an old seat like new again.  Often using better materials than the factory used.  (where the factory didn't intend them to last too long......example:  a seat producer using inexpensive cotton thread instead of nylon so that the seat starts coming apart within 4 to 6 years.  Just saying)

If I were to get a new driver's seat (i removed the passenger seat) I'd go for something from a high end sport sedan. I'd want proper lumbar support and some side bolsters. The key to comfort isn't cushioning, it's anatomical correctness.

Latest posts