Remove passenger seat, build desk

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
So I've decided that I'm going to remove the passenger seat of my 2007 prius and build a desk/storage/entertainment unit. Has anyone here done this In a car? I'm sure it will drop my stealth ability, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice. I'm also thinking about removing the center console. Have not decided if i would leave the middle open for ease of access, or if i would build a new console allowing me to have more storage space. Oh and in regards to the desk, I'll be using the rear passenger seat as the desk chair.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

I was wondering about the ability to remove the console...

Look forward to seeing the progress.

After some research I've discovered that the unit that detects your wireless key is located in the center console, and have decided that i do not want to potentially damage that unit, so the center console will stay for now. Plus the auxiliary input is also located there too, which i use on a daily basis. Later down the road i will take the console apart to see if there a way to keep both of those units intact.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

I don't have a car, but I have currently my passenger seat in my van removed. What I noticed is that my van now thinks that there is a passenger sitting there and it keeps telling us that the passenger needs to buckle up. That annoying beep was not there before I removed the seat. And yes, I fasten my seat belt.
I guess this could potentially lead to your Prius thinking that there is something wrong with the airbag and along with the annoying beep, the airbag light might come on, too.

Just something to keep in mind...

dr_nelson said:
I don't have a car, but I have currently my passenger seat in my van removed. What I noticed is that my van now thinks that there is a passenger sitting there and it keeps telling us that the passenger needs to buckle up. That annoying beep was not there before I removed the seat. And yes, I fasten my seat belt.
I guess this could potentially lead to your Prius thinking that there is something wrong with the airbag and along with the annoying beep, the airbag light might come on, too.

Just something to keep in mind...

I did some research on this, yes the air bag light comes on, other Prius owners just put a piece of tape over it. Luckily it does not ding telling the passenger to buckle up.

Just curious, where do you sleep? are you short enough to fit length wise from hatch to backseat folded down? I'm intrigue the idea of traveling with a prius, i'm 5-10 and many have said its uncomfortable. I would probably have to take out the front pass seats, and rear seats and build some sorts of platform extending all the way to the back hatch.

LMTLMT said:
Just curious, where do you sleep?  are you short enough to fit length wise from hatch to backseat folded down?  I'm intrigue the idea of traveling with a prius, i'm 5-10 and many have said its uncomfortable.  I would probably have to take out the front pass seats, and rear seats and build some sorts of platform extending all the way to the back hatch.

When you lower the rear right passenger seat, it is completely flush to the rear cargo area, I have a firm mattress with 2 pads on that and a sleeping bag. I'm 5'10" and I'm able to fully stretch out, though I usually have to stack some plastics bins and cushions on the floor of rear passenger seat to keep the mattress from sinking, where my head is resting.