remanufactured engine WARRANTY - good, mediocre, or bad?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with the rebuilt engine for $2800.

The used engine you're looking at a base price of $1400 but it's almost certainly going to cost more if they need to replace a loose timing chain. Even little things like drilling out a broken exhaust manifold bolt is going to raise the price. And you'll end up with a used 100,000 mile engine for 3/4 the cost of a rebuilt.

Brian & Weight: Yes, that makes total sense (to me) - thanks! :)

I just phoned them, and nice office gal said boss has a part-time job, hence the lack of followup.
She said they could move my van over, no problem.
I asked about staying in it, over the weekend (forecast toasty 30sF), and she's going to ask.
They might be able to give me a free ride, too. Otherwise, it's nice but costly taxi.

So, still at the motel, waiting... waiting, waiting. #sigh

Finally got a ride (cab) to my van, which was almost completely buried in snow!
Couldn't find my shovel, so did the stomping & kicking thing.
Awesome native-UPer cabbie moved most of my stuff back, and he was apologetic that he couldn't do more - truly great people up here! :)

Was thinking some more about the whole engine replace vs repair issue, and a lightbulb finally went on for me.
I had been confused why a total replacement would be cheaper. Brian's comment about the time & complexity of repair makes total sense and snapped on the lightbulb. It's equivalent to a computer, which doesn't take much training/knowledge to build from components, but takes much understanding to do many repairs.
Thanks everyone for your ongoing efforts to educate this stressed oft-thick van Muggle. :)

With luck, tomorrow everything will get sorted out, and I'll have a timeline. :)

Until then, it's a balmy 32F, I have weak wifi at the van, a nice cafe nearby, a battery powered DVD player and my Firefly discs. :D

Thanks Brian!
So many people have said such kind things about how I'm holding up, I feel I have to continue setting an example, by looking for positive things. ;)
Plus, really helps to have supportive friends... and Firefly Therapy. :D

I've now been in the van just over half an hour, and the inside temp climbed to 42F, purely from body heat.
Outside has fallen by 4 (30F to 26F).
As the movie "The Matrix" taught us: we are all Coppertops. :)

I've got my wristlets on, and my night time stuff all laid out in optimal convenient locations (oversized socks, blankets, hand warmers, 3 lights). Gotta post that to the warmth tips thread. Will also take & post pics, eventually.

I have a 2011 Ford e250 with 200k Mike's. The motor was toast. I went with Prower Train remanufactured motor. It included a 5 year, unlimited milage no fault warranty. It was a very good price. I got the transmission from them also.
I was going to do the junkyard motor but no warranty and no idea what condition.
I had a wonderful experience going the remanufactured route. Do a Google search and find the right company for your needs. Ask lots of questions, like where are these put together and parts, how long in business...

This motor and transmission so far but are awesome. I didn't realize how bad the old stuff was.

There are at least three power train companies. P T Direct, P T Products, P T Company, which Power Train brand did you use?

Is it even worth putting a new motor in a 1987 van?

I would think the money would be better spent on buying a different van.

I have a 2007 ford expedition that I put a new motor in 3 years ago because I thought I would keep it long term. Now that I changed my mind and going to sell it. I totally regret ever doing it!

I just sold a 2006 Expedition for $500 as parts. Good riddance. My 1987 has been updated as it needs and some before problems. If becomes time for engine and/or transmission, I will count the money well spent on remanufactured. My van is so much easier repaired and reliable than that stupid Ford ever. Noted, my van is comparatively un-rusted. If it had holes in sides or floors it would be replaced with a different van.

I would have a serious look under the 87 by you and a mechanic first. The front end could by worn out, rust on the frame, etc.
Unless there is real sentimental value, even then I would still check it out. There are a ton of wear out parts other than a motor too .

Weight:
Thanks, that's awesome and exactly the kind of stat that raises my morale. :) :)

Update:
It took them a crazy amount of time to schedule the replacement, then actually do the work (a used engine). They never answered my questions about the replacement engine's history, nor provided compression test data. Frankly, this took so long, I kind of threw up my hands, and just wanted Outta Thar! :(
Their labor estimate was way off, plus it took 8 motel nights (not 2) so it was an extra $300 just for the motel. :(
They did a poor job on the ignition timing, such that the next day (Wednesday) I had a series of engine stalls, and ended up going to a different shop to check it out. They ran a bunch of tests, found the timing off by about 18 to 20 degrees, and fixed it.
It sounds great now, and no other problems since (other than me having a duffer/Pakled moment - thanks to Brian for his always patient tech support!). :)

Gary over at VanDwellerForum had offered to do a fundraiser, and after initial reluctance on my part, I agreed, and was delighted that they've raised about 2/3 of this repair.
Thanks to all who contributed, you're awesome! :D :D :D

Please continue to share data on used vs remanufactured as there will be others facing this dilemma.

Gary68:
Yeah, that was a very pleasant surprise! :) Please feel free to say "I told you so" if I ever doubt you again. :)
Was also thinking of you during Wednesday's drive, as I used the wipers for the first time this year. Everybody: last year, Gary stood in a PNW rainfall, in a hoodie, fixing my broke wipers after the first leg of my Trek back to WI... he also fed me pizza & was an all round superb first vandweller host to me. :)

JD:
Um...  que?!? PM me, if you prefer, and thanks for your advice during this period. :)

The van (named "Fawkes") after more than a month (including the Polar Vortex) at the edge of the UP:
fawkes_wi_snowcovered_01.jpg

Despite that beating, the solar system has been working perfectly. :)
We've spent the last 8 days in a NF, and the lowest the system has gotten was 88%.