remanufactured engine WARRANTY - good, mediocre, or bad?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaylee

Reaction score
I'm the poor sod whose engine seized (1987 Dodge B250, the thread "Iron Mountain,MI looking for mechanic").
In Geek speak:  Jim, it's dead.

I'm getting conflicting advice on whether to:
  • bail completely and find a different vehicle
  • get it replaced with a used engine
  • get it replaced with a "remanufactured engine"

To newbie me, the attractive part of a remanufactured engine is they typically come with a warranty.

For those who have actually done this, what has your experience been, in terms of reliability and getting warranty service?

JD GUMBEE already did some searching, and has expressed concern/doubts about them.
He and I have exchanged some PMs, and I appreciate his efforts! :)

Gary & JD are both urging me to find a used engine - thanks to you both for your support & passion! :)

I'd like to hear from folks here, with first hand experience.

My concern with a used engine of unknown history, is that's how I got into this mess.
Remanufactured makes intuitive sense to me (it's been tested and one buys it "off-the-shelf" instead of conducting a Treasure Hunt)... but, I'm a software engineer, not a Mechanic, and definitely not a Car Guy/Gal, so lack both expertise and experience.

Thanks in advance. :)

P.S.  I can not post in either of the original threads (here @CRVL and another van dwelling forum), due to add-on security software I use.

It depends on price, milage of your van & the used engine, the warrenty of the rebuilt engine, cost to install etc.

My mechanic said the best deal was a Dodge rebuilt engine from the Chrysler dealership. Rather than Jasper. 1987 B250. I feel a national warranty is important on such a large purchase. I have spent a bit on suspension, wheel bearings, and other such work, so wanted to keep the body.

Weight: thanks!
Do you have a link to a specific product item?

It's not yet clear whether it needs a longblock or just a shortblock.
The first breakdown, they did a top overhaul (they failed to offer options or get my permission, just decided for me Grrr!Argh!).

I'd do a good junk yard engine as many are available. After you find the lowest milage & settle on a price have the junkyard start it up on the ground & send the video & let your mechanic see it tun. Start it again efore the install & check the blowby, compression, oil pressure, drain the oil & the filter, cut the filter & strain the oil & use a magnet looking for "making metal" which you don't want. I've used Jasper & worked fine. If you use a Dodge rebuilt & have a problem will they cover non dealership labor? Is your mechanic a licensed repair facility & will that fit with either warrenty? I think it's OK with Jasper unless they've changed they ccovered labor also. I love the U.P. & had a remote camp 10 miles on 2 track 150+ north of you. Good people!

Thanks Gr8ful!
I still haven't found someone to do the work. :(

Closest was one local who does work on the side, but he has a long waiting list, and is not an approved shop.

I'll start a separate thread to continue the original quest for a mechanic.

With references to Kaylee in Firefly, you're the one should be telling us! Lol.
Really this is a tough call that depends upon many factors. Some things to consider generally that can be applied to your specific situation.

The usually cheapest route is a usually of unknown history, used engine. Couple hundred to buy and couple hundred to install on an old style V8.
Scrap yard or eBay. No one knows for sure how long this will last, 6 months to 6+yrs. On an older used vehicle, this is usually what is done and usually dealing with a limited budget on an older vehicle which could, and probably will, suffer other major costs in the near short term. Never put too much money into a vehicle if it's near the end of it's useful lifespan. You could have taken that money on repairs and bought a newer, better rig is the consideration. How's the transmission on it and overall mileage?
Now you know why old vans are cheap, because of the cost to repair and how soon it may/will be required.
Cheap initially but the major costs come after you bought it.

The best answer is a new crate engine which will cost you thousands.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/crate-engines/make/chrysler/engine-size/5-2l-318
But this is only worthwhile IF the vehicle has high value generally and in otherwise great shape. You could buy a another rig for that money with less hassle and downtime. Lots of low miles older or newer vans in that price range.

A remanufactured engine falls somewhere in the middle. And dealer option is more expensive but generally better done and guaranteed. Only cost you a few thousand or half as much as a new. $2400 on Jegs plus install.
https://www.jegs.com/c/Mopar-Engines-Components_Crate-Engines-Short-Blocks/212704/10002/-1

Could you spend as much on another rig and be better off for the same money is the next question once you get your engine option cost answers.
Start looking on your local Craig's to find out.
And you're stuck out on the road in the middle of nowhere praying that you can find a good, reasonable priced mechanic to do the work which will take you how long before it's done and how good quality is the motor and mechanic skill level and all that money will last how long to keep that vehicle running for how long?
You see all the problems, huh?
Maybe running to get another vehicle is a better use of the money that you are going to spend...
Your odds might be better taking a chance on another good running, old $2k van that you get checked out by a mechanic.
Allot of unknowns and uncertainties with all of the choices.

those are all marine or high performance engines.

how much is a stock brand new engine from dodge? if I was going to buy an engine that's what I would get.

the big question is what do you want to do? do you like your van? what shape is the rest of it in? are you going to do the engine only to have the trans fail in a month?

highdesertranger

As a mechanic friend of mine says, "There's no point buying the best replacement parts that'll outlive the rest of your vehicle." I think a remanufactured engine would make sense in a 15 year old van, but a 32 year old one? A lower mileage salvaged engine makes more sense to me.

Don't forget to figure labor costs into the price of replacing the engine. Would the total cost be greater than replacing the whole van?

HDR & MrNoodly:
You both nailed my dilemna. :(

The vehicle's body is in good condition, and the previous owner did a great conversion.
Several experienced members of the community had seen it at the previous RTR, and posted glowing praise.

I lived in (not "out") of it for 3 weeks, and it does suit my housing & living needs.
Plus... we've bonded. ;)
(To quote Firefly's Jayne Cobb "it has a name". )

The problem is the first breakdown cost me $2600, and the estimates for the engine replacement are about 4 to 5 K$.
Intellectually, it does not make sense to replace it.
However, finding a replacement vehicle is non-trivial, and I'm now homeless & vehicle-less, so there's no "easy" solution.

Other complication is I'm a Traumatic Brain Injury survivor (civilian car "accident"), and it took several years for me to realize I'm permanently disabled. I never applied for SSDI, and have missed that window.
I'm mid-50s, so worst case scenario, all I have now has to last me until age 62 (my SS is vested). For more than 13 years, I've been living on personal retirement savings and occasional short programming gigs.

When I made the decision to buy the van, I had calculated I had barely enough to last that long and have an emergency fund equal to what I paid for the van.
That cushion is effectively gone now.
Yes, I made a bad decision. :(
I'm a competent adult, so that's on me.

On a positive note, so far 4 people at VD have kindly offered to donate privately, so that may raise enough funds to pay for the repair. :)

This time, I want to do it right, thru a good shop, with no surprises.

I've spent a lot of time in the U.P. & they are some of the most happy & helpful people I've met. I would recomend going to a bar or 2 which are like a Pubs in Ireland a public house where people go even if the don't drink & explain your problem & ask for names & #s of someone who can help. Someone will know who to contact. I broke a ski on a snowmachine towed it to Rockland went to Henry's Never Inn asked if anyone knew a welder. Back on the trail 1/2 hour later late on Sat night. Good Luck!

As far as the warranty question goes, any warranty is better than none. Salvage engines have none.

Since the remove & replace costs are essentially identical no matter what the engine source, then the question is how much security you need to feel comfortable and how much extra you're willing and able to pay for it.

Minivanmotoman said:
The usually cheapest route is a usually of unknown history, used engine. Couple hundred to buy and couple hundred to install on an old style V8.

Uhh...
Your thoughts on current real world pricing are grossly...no, GROTESQUELY out of touch with reality. To say you are way off would be an understatement. (Maybe in the mid-70's you could get it done for that. Try ten times that figure for install in her scenario. I live in the middle of the rural bible belt and it would cost me 600 for the most dirtbaggish drunk idiot to swap it in their driveway...and do a half assed job.

A couple of other clarifications for Kaylee:
1. I never advocated a scrap yard engine. I talked about a wrecked municipal vehicle with full history (maintenance) with very low miles on it. (That I heard run, watched start stone cold...and after bending the roof, drove down the road myself.) There is a huge difference between that and the typical yard motor.
2. You are by no means outside the "realm" for SSDI. Not even close to it. SSDI/SSI is for people who cannot obtain gainful employment due to disability IN THE CURRENT ECONOMY. You are the poster child for this scenario.

Best of luck to you.

JD, my apologies for being too vague, you are correct that you advocated a respectable engine, and you've been very kindly sending me GSA and other listings. :)

I'm open to trying for SSDI, however I am completely overwhelmed right now.
If anybody knows of a non-profit advocacy group that genuinely groks TBI, and which could help me, that would rock - please share.

MrNoodly: thanks for the sanity check! :)

Note to everyone who's been following this:
I've been mostly focused on trying to find work, but after a month of failing, I need to move forward. I'll be accepting the kind offers of donations, and need to focus on getting mobile again.
A week from today I have to vacate the motel, while they do renovations.
I have nowhere to go, other than my van.

Bottom line: I need reliable information. Thanks to all those who have provided it! :)

JD, we're both right. For our respective areas. But you are more right than I being back East where everything is more expensive. As well, I should have been more specific when I said couple hundred bucks.
Fyi, heres an example of a Dodge motor for $650, which I would consider a couple hundred bucks with negotiation. Maybe $550?
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/d/chandler-parting-out-2000-dodge-ramv8/6801416273.html.
Another, the whole truck for $550, 95k 5.2l v8
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/d/goodyear-parting-out-91-dodge-dakota/6799289070.html

Around PHX, you would be amazed at the cheap labor of outdoor shops and cheap parts available at wreckers and on Craig's.
But as she is no where near, totally irrelevant, so good point on your part.
I'm not lost in the 60s, 70s,80s or even 90s. :)

And fyi, this company will tow from anywhere in AZ and install a 318/5.2l remanufactured for $2900. And guaranteed for 24 months.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/ptd/d/completely-rebuilt-engines-with-2-year/6819146677.html

I'm not grotesquely living in the past JD, this is what it is here. And there are lots of to your door mobile mechanics on Craig's who will do an install for a reasonable price.
Had a whole, ALL NEW GReddy clutch, slave, plate, bearings, fluid, etc... Installed, ALL for $750 on a Prelude. $400 labor.
I'm smiling right now at how cheap I got that done for. And it shifted smooth and like butter afterwards.
If it's going to cost $4k+, I'd be looking at another vehicle for under $5k. Fly or bus down to the Southwest and pick up a rust free van or truck. Money saved probably pay the travel costs easy.

Kaylee, good luck, keep your chin up as it can only get better from here. Can you leave it there some place & get it sorted out & done on the phone when you get home?

Gr8ful, thanks!
I have no home, and don't know anybody in the immediate area.

With TBI, it's been impossible to find safe & quiet housing. The closest I've gotten is off-season winter cabin rentals, which is what brought me to northern WI.
For me, van dwelling isn't a "lifestyle choice", it's a last gasp act of desperation.

The community has been awesome - the thread that Gary started over at VD is a textbook case of folks helping out, with lots of smaller issues before the first big breakdown. Thanks to all who have helped! :)

My thoughts on a used engine. Do any think you can find a good engine for a 1997? A rebuild is the way to go. Jasper, or factory.
On such an old engine, I would get a 'long block'. The heads would be part of the warranty. As well the other stuff you would have to use over.
I don't have a link to the Chrysler factory rebuild, my mechanic finds that. He is on the east coast and doesn't do road calls. :) Jasper is nation wide and have designated shops found on line. https://www.jasperengines.com/