Relocating to Austin. Tips?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viceroy

Reaction score
Been car living in TN for a year and am relocating to Austin soon. Any locals know good spots to park? How are the cops?

I'd prefer s/w near Bastrop if you can.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Viceroy!

Freecampsites doesn't show anything very close to Bastrop
https://freecampsites.net/#!Bastrop,+TX,+United+States

There was a member who offered her place.Can't remember if it was SA or Austin. I'll see if I can find the thread

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I was visiting a buddy in north Austin a few months ago and found this spot: 30.42851, -97.78158  (paste coordinates into Google Maps). It's a power relay or whatever back down a small dirt road in some trees. You'll have shade and a little cover / privacy from passing drivers and homeowners. It's probably best to use this spot just to sleep. But in my case, I killed an afternoon there waiting for my buddy and his wife to get back from work, and no one hassled me. It was quiet, peaceful, and shady.

I never boondocked in Austin, and I haven't lived there in 10 years or so
When last I was there, you would want to hide yourself, or driveway surf, the cops liked to 'move folks along'
When I was living in my car, I would sleep at truck stops and spend my days in the library if I wasn't working
There used to be a truckstop in Budda you could sleep in a vehicle at

As Art said, Austin cops are not known to be the warm, fuzzy type of cops. I think a lot of it has to do with the thousands of students going to UT. Worst case scenario is to ask a cop where might be a safe place to crash for a while. It's worked for me in the past, not in Austin tho, never tried it there.

Good luck. Rob