registering vehicle to work in different state?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enginewitty

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My vehicle registration is coming up here in a few days, and despite the fact I'm going to need to replace my van due to a plethora of less than perfect running conditions, I think the best move at this time is to register my van while I continue the search for a more reliable and comfortable one :)

Because of the van needing some immediate, not so financially friendly TLC I'm looking for some temp work. While looking in Colorado (I'm currently in California) it lists that I would need to prove residency before working there and that I would need to register my vehicle there within 90 days as well.

Has anyone else come across this while traveling? I'm sure it's fairly common among our community.  What have you all done or would you suggest?

Best,
Andy

I have never heard of having to prove residency to work in a state. what about sales people that work in several states? what about migrant farm workers that could work in several states in one year? as far as vehicle registration as far as I know all states give you a time limit to register in there state. what state is going to be your residency state? highdesertranger

Where did you find the info about needing to be a resident to work in Colorado?

This varies from state to state .
(Depends on how tax greedy they are !)

Some require you become a resident and register your vehicle if you work and others ...not so much.
If you don't work ,, You're a tourist!

MrNoodly said:
Where did you find the info about needing to be a resident to work in Colorado?

multiple temp agencies and the CDOR website I believe

Every state has some provision that requires you to change your drivers license to that state if you work more than some named length of time. I had to do that in California, Colorado, and Texas. They didn't seem to care about my registration from OtherState, or at least did not enforce it.

We've got people from CT and NJ who work in NY for their entire careers without having to move or change their vehicle registration to NY.

I think it only becomes an issue if they think you are LIVING in their state and haven't switched your license and registration over.

After all, if you are "domiciled" in SD or TX, and working full time in San Francisco or Los Angeles, you're going to have a tough time convincing them you commute from home every day . . .

" Definition of Resident per Section 250 (5) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law: "As used in this section, the term 'resident' shall mean domiciliary, that is, one who lives in this state with the intention of making it a fixed and permanent abode. It shall be presumptive evidence that a person who maintains a place of abode in this state for a period of at least ninety days is a resident of this state." "

my brother in-law lives in Oregon and is a resident of Oregon. he works throughout the pacific northwest, western Canada, and Alaska. his company truck is registered in Texas. nobody has ever said anything to him. I called him to verify that's why I didn't post this the other day. highdesertranger

When they asked for proof of residency, they may have meant that you are in this country legally. Not State residency, but Federal.

Depending on the job duration it may not be worth changing states. You could ask if you can wait until you are both sure the job is a good fit for you both.

Just looked it up, Colorado's state income tax rate is a flat 4.63% of your federal taxable income, regardless of your income level.
It may be better to become a Colorado resident.
You would have to file in Ca. for a partial year, and Colorado partial year. If it is a temp job, become a resident of Nevada on your way there, ( no state income tax).

ccbreder said:
" Definition of Resident per Section 250 (5) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law: "As used in this section, the term 'resident' shall mean domiciliary, that is, one who lives in this state with the intention of making it a fixed and permanent abode. It shall be presumptive evidence that a person who maintains a place of abode in this state for a period of at least ninety days is a resident of this state." "

is this quote for NY?

highdesertranger said:
my brother in-law lives in Oregon and is a resident of Oregon.  he works throughout the pacific northwest,  western Canada,  and Alaska.  his company truck is registered in Texas.  nobody has ever said anything to him.  I called him to verify that's why I didn't post this the other day.  highdesertranger

what part of Oregon?
I lived in Ashland for over 10 years. I'm also looking at doing quite a bit of traveling through Canada and Alaska.
It'd be nice to meet someone else living this lifestyle :)

OP: "I would need to prove residency before working there and that I would need to register my vehicle there within 90 days as well."

If you're a resident, you have to pay taxes.

When you want the truth of the matter, always follow the money.

I found this regarding Colorado State jobs.  FAQ - Applying For A State Job

As far as I know, no state can require you to be a state resident to work in that state except for state government jobs.  However many municipalities require that you live within the city limits for municipal jobs.  Also any private employer can require that you live within a certain distance from the place of employment.  The company I work for requires that anyone holding an on-call position live within 30 mile of their district office.

Gov. Christie signs bill requiring all new public employees to move to N.J. within year of hire.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/gov_christie_signs_bill_requir.html

HAWAII STATE RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Effective July 1, 2007, persons who are non-residents
of the State of Hawaii will have thirty (30) days from the date they begin their State employment to
become Hawaii residents. While an employee of the State of Hawaii, they must maintain their Hawaii
residency.
https://dhrd.hawaii.gov/wp-content/...t-Information-for-job-announcement_MASTER.pdf

Colorado will ticket you for not registering your vehicle in the state, if you have a Colorado drivers license. But as others have said, other than some government jobs there is no requirement to be a resident to work here. There is a requirement to pay state taxes in each state you ear money so that makes no difference if you're a resident or not. My son's official residence is Colorado, but he works part of the year for a harvester in Kansas. So he has to file a return for both Colorado and Kansas, but he only pays taxes on the amount he earns in each state. The harvest trail includes Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, North and South Dakota, but the business is based in Kansas and his paycheck is written in Kansas so that is where he pays the taxes.

There are also many people who have a second home here that are still residents of another state. My mother in law being one of them. She is just requires to spend at least 6 months in her home state each year to keep that her valid primary residence. Of course no one is actually verifying that, so if your "residence" is South Dakota for instance, and you work a temporary job in Colorado, who is going to know whether you spent more time in any one place over the other?

MP: "... if your "residence" is South Dakota for instance, and you work a temporary job in Colorado, who is going to know whether you spent more time in any one place over the other?"

Slow down driving and don't act like an idiot. If the cops nail you for something, the clock starts ticking.