Refrigerator setup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyDogs

Reaction score
Hi all!

For those of you with frigs, would you share pics or descriptions of how they are setup in your vehicle? Would love to see how others have their refrigerators contained (or not).

I can't figure out the best way to set mine up. I'm thinking of enclosing my Wynter 45 (it already has reflective foam around it) but am hoping to get some ideas. Thanks!

I  don't have pics of mine but the 65 qt fridge unit is under the bed with a section of the bed that lifts up to access the fridge. I used piano hinge on the bed platform and placed the upright plywood supports so that the lid rests on them for support.

The freezer unit (also a 65 qt Whynter) is on a tray I made that slides out from under the kitchen counter. I used 1/2" plywood for the tray, the smallest swivel castors I could buy at H/D and a couple of pieces of 1" square dowelling. The tray is just a bit larger than the fridge and I put the square dowelling on the front and back of the tray so that the fridge couldn't come off of it. The sides are such close tolerance to the walls of the kitchen cabinet that the fridge can't do anywhere sideways.

I was originally going to have the fridge under the counter and the freezer under the bed but switched them when I figured out that it was easier to lift the bed platform than it was to slide the unit out from under the counter. I'm in the fridge multiple times a day but into the freezer usually only once a day. I take my dinner meat out at breakfast time so it's thawed.

You can see the empty spaces left for the two units in my build thread.

Brent-I'm envious of your Prius. I would love to have its hybrid system! I initially thought I could camp in my Ford Escape and did fit the Wynter frig in it without any additional build around it. But now that I have a van, I need to figure out a way to secure it.

Almost There-I didn't realize you have 2 units. Wow! I *might* have to put my frig on a caster system under my bed rather than in a box. My bed doesn't lift up and the space under the counter is too small.

I was thinking of putting the frig on a box over the wheel well but then it starts getting really tall.

Thanks for the info. Keep them coming!

I was able to do it this way because I designed the interior with both units in mind.

The only change I've made to the original plans were switching the units temperatures around when I figured out it was easier to lift the bed than it was to roll out the other unit from under the counter.

I knew from living on the road in the past that having freezer space was mandatory for me. I hate having to eat the same meat several days in a row because you can't let it sit in the fridge and I know that finding grocery stores with a real butcher counter can be a pita on the road - buying 1 of this, 1 of that isn't always possible. The grocery stores package with family use in mind, very rarely do you find single servings.....sooo, I buy family packs and freeze single servings.

I also did the cardboard mock up of the inside dimensions of the unit to make sure that all my stuff would fit in the refridgerator unit. It's a tight fit right after grocery shopping and I've had to adjust downwards the size of some of what I buy - like small bottles of ketchup instead of the economy size and I now only carry one flavor of salad dressing instead of having a shelf full of them like I had in the S&B.

I don't have a van OR a refrigerator, but I've been thinking about it, and if possible, I won't be setting it on the floor. For some reason, repeatedly standing on my head to get into something that I will use several times a day sounds counter-productive. I intend to put some storage under it as a base, and raise the unit to be easier to access. Theoretically, of course....

Don't raise it too high Trainchaser or you'll be standing on a stool to reach the stuff in the bottom.... :D 

I find that raising the bed platform and reaching in to the bottom of the fridge is a form of exercise for me! And heaven knows, I need all the exercise I can get! :D

TrainChaser said:
I don't have a van OR a refrigerator, but I've been thinking about it, and if possible, I won't be setting it on the floor. For some reason, repeatedly standing on my head to get into something that I will use several times a day sounds counter-productive. I intend to put some storage under it as a base, and raise the unit to be easier to access. Theoretically, of course....

I have no patience whatsoever: went ahead and built a frame in the van next to the bed. Tall enough so I can put 2 milk crates underneath but shouldn't be too tall to get into. The grey tub was just handy to put on top for some sense of scale. The frig is a few inches taller. I m still not sure how to "wrap" it. I guess plywood makes sense. Or just another piece of 2x4, since that won't restrict the airflow around the vents?

It's a work in progress. I like to hang out in it with the dogs. :)

ce2794b50de24d933b00f89d5966d214.jpg

Almost There-You must be really good at planning. I've already changed my mind several times about the setup.

^It's one milk crate tall. But wide enough to fit two underneath. NOT two crates tall. :)

TooManyDogs said:
Almost There-You must be really good at planning. I've already changed my mind several times about the setup.

This is not my first rodeo.... :D

I've had vans for 41 years now. Started with a 61 Ford Econoline (mid engine), several 70 and 80's vans (lost count), a couple of the mini (Astro/Safari), a 35' RV, a couple more pseudo mini vans (Plymouth Grand Voyageur etc) and back to the full sized cargo van.

The first vans where for weekend use only but I travelled all over the US with them going to van camp/show events. Then I lived on the road full-time for 14 years before trying to settle down a decade ago.

It's not just that I'm good at planning, although I AM good at it. It's that I knew what I could live with and what I couldn't live without.

I also am known for refusing to compromise much.... :D

Almost There said:
This is not my first rodeo.... :D

I've had vans for 41 years now. Started with a 61 Ford Econoline (mid engine), several 70 and 80's vans (lost count), a couple of the mini (Astro/Safari), a 35' RV, a couple more pseudo mini vans (Plymouth Grand Voyageur etc) and back to the full sized cargo van.

Ha! Instead of "Almost There", you can be "Been There, Done That."

Thanks so much for all of your help so far!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TooManyDogs said:
Hi all!

For those of you with frigs, would you share pics or descriptions of how they are setup in your vehicle? Would love to see how others have their refrigerators contained (or not).

I can't figure out the best way to set mine up. I'm thinking of enclosing my Wynter 45 (it already has reflective foam around it) but am hoping to get some ideas. Thanks!

In my Ford Class-B, there is a Norcold 3 way fridge. I almost never use it. Instead I use an Igloo brand 12v cooler. Works great! It was 70 bux vs. the Norcolds $1200 price tag.

In my G/F's cab over, She uses a 3.2Cuft mini fridge she bought from Home Depot through an inverter. She runs it all day on 12V batteries with solar.