Reflectix Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarfersnarf

Reaction score
Hey I am super new to all this insulation stuff. I finally got around to making my reflectix window covers for my gigantic windows. My windows are only slightly tinted and I can't spend money to make tint them darker at the moment. When I have my window covers on, it is very obvious to anyone on the outside of my van. I don't want to draw attention to the van and I feel like the reflectix might make the van stick out a little. My question is, can I put cloth or some material in between the glass and reflectix without lessening the effect of the reflectix? I am thinking about gluing a white sheet to the reflectix if it doesn't matter.

White may still look odd. I'd go with full blackout.

If you feel any heat penetrating that's the price of stealth.

I had the same experience with putting reflectix in the windows - it made my van stand out like a sore thumb in the parking lot!

You can add a layer of material but then if you're experiencing high humidity levels in the vehicle but then the material will be soaking it up and you'll have to find a way to dry them out each day that they get wet.

Some of us have played with painting the reflectix black but I found that the spray paint at least cracked and fell off...maybe I used the wrong paint. Painting them black also negates the reflectix ability to reflect sunlight.

You might want to try cutting and fitting either coroplast (sign board) or even just pieces of bristol board and rather than gluing them to the reflectix, just put them in place separately. That way you can experiment with whether it works and it's also easy to quit using it if and when you can afford a darker tint.

Me, I found that my drapes were mostly sufficient to keep the streetlights out and give me privacy. I don't do 'stealth' ie parking where I'm not supposed to be, so I don't worry about being there unnoticed.

The biggest source of heat is the front drivers' compartment and I sewed a quilted wraparound drape for that. It makes a very noticeable difference in the temperature both with cold and hot weather.

snarfersnarf said:
My question is, can I put cloth or some material in between the glass and reflectix without lessening the effect of the reflectix?

You can.  Layers are layers.  The more you put between you and what you're trying to keep warm or cold, the better the insulation effect is.

Personally, I've used welding blanket material (carbon fiber) to do mine.  That stuff is good for all kinds of things, including wicking for alcohol based stoves (but I digress). It also does a great job of insulating in its own right (as long as it remains dry), so it really boosts the effectiveness of the reflectix when combined with it.  At least that's been my experience.

> if you're experiencing high humidity levels in the vehicle but then the material will be soaking it up and you'll have to find a way to dry them out each day

Actually that's great to have a low tech hygrometer alarm to warn you that you're letting humidity get too high.

That is a situation that needs systemic fixing, not only rusting bodywork from the inside, but mold & mildew, bad health effects, very hard to get rid of once it takes hold.

Ventilation needs increasing, if cold weather get things very warm a few times a day.

But burning unvented propane heat source inside the living space makes things worse, puts lots of water vapour in the air.

Putting proper insulation in the window covering, the black side pressed up against the glass a non-absorbent surface helps too.

> maybe I used the wrong paint

Auto vinyl upholstery paint is very flexible.

If painting polyiso or another foam, check for solvent reaction, may need to prime

FFR don't bother with the reflective layer unless that is facing the outside.

It has no insulating value.

I cut the reflex to fit then covered the outward facing side with black Gorilla tape. They have lasted over two years now and are attached with industrial velcro, about an inch away from the glass, all the way around. I open the window a 1/4" or so and it seems to keep the inside cooler as the hot air has a way out. With slightly tinted windows you cannot tell anything is there, it just looks like a tinted window. Close the window and you have created an air space to insulate and it does seem to help some in cold weather, but not much.

bullfrog said:
I cut the reflex to fit then covered the outward facing side with black Gorilla tape.  They have lasted over two years now

Black Gorilla tape...interesting idea. I just posted in another paint discussion about what to use to create a dark side on reflex. Thanks for the idea. :idea:

I used black cloth similar to felt and stapled to one side of the reflectix I made for my windows. Looks like a dark tint. My original thought was just turn them around for better reflection if needed. I just left the dark side out though as it becomes a pain to keep doing that. Cuts down a lot of heat from sun streaming in as is. So would sturdy cardboard.

Tried the black paint also like Beth did and sun and bright lights reflected off that and almost as noticeable as doing nothing, plus flaking. I used the paint I had and wasn't going to buy different kinds to experiment with.

Dennis said:
I used black cloth similar to felt and stapled to one side of the reflectix I made for my windows. Looks like a dark tint. Cuts down a lot of heat from sun streaming in as is.  So would sturdy cardboard.
Thanks, Dennis, another black idea for reflex. And a friend just gave me a small staple gun, would be easy with felt cut to size.

Again, no point in using Reflectix, or anything shiny if you want black.

Choose the backing material for structural properties, cloth if you want to fold or roll up, or foam board for insulation

The Reflectix is mainly of value if it remains silver.

During the day, who cares if people can see it? You only really care about stealth at night, not during the day. So at night put a thin, black felt cloth between the reflectix and the window, take it out in the morning.

Above very true when it's hot outside, trying to stay cool.

With symmetrical windows, I suppose being able to flip between a black and shiny side would be good.

Ideally with some foam in the sandwich.

Using those windows for ventilation, screening etc is a whole 'nother set of issues, pretty hard to stay stealthy then?

Several thoughts, use magnets to hold black cloth around the windows? Paint cardboard that you cut to insert on each window black. Black tarp cut to size of window and duct taped.
I am in the boat. Not sure what I will do but the sun is hot as heck coming through. Tint down the road.