Reflectix Uses other than window

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
So you folks, in their mid-80’s (bless their hearts)said they have 12 things of insulation sitting around that I could use on my build. I thought.. score!
Turned out to be 16” x 25’ rolls of reflectix…12 of them. No idea what they had planned for them, they’ve built many houses, cabins, garages, ect. But I know they’d be tickled pink if I used it, as being builders, are excited about my step van.

Other than make window coverings.. what can I use reflectix for? It says 16R for attics if “installed properly” which I guess means with an air gap. I know it’s not really an insulator, but can I use them on the floor as underlammenent or in the cab somehow? Is there value in anything other than window coverings.

I’ve read people just really not liking it, but I would like to know what it can be used for or possibly as … even if it’s not a typical application.
Likes sound barrier??
Thank you

Last edited:
I want some to make behind the chair fire reflectors. I have seen where it is made with duct tape to fit over the head and down to the ground semi wrapped around the chair to reflect the heat from the fire back on to the person in the chair. Not to sure how much support it would need or what ever but sounds like a good idea. My Dad used to wrap the area around the fire pit so we would stay warmer and it worked but that was when we where WAAAAYYY out in never never land and his ropes didn't bother any one. He did love his ropes and canvases.

I’ve seen pics of makeshift solar ovens using it.

Here’s a really not-typical use for it: a resist for wet felting. Not only is it not typical, I’m guessing I am the only user of this forum who makes wool felt. But hey, you asked!

I’ve seen pics of makeshift solar ovens using it.

Here’s a really not-typical use for it: a resist for wet felting. Not only is it not typical, I’m guessing I am the only user of this forum who makes wool felt. But hey, you asked!
Im trying to remember the process… my Mom would make yarn from our huskies fur (there was tons!) But I love all these idea. Thank you!

When I camp, I heat extra hot water when preparing my coffee. I store it in a thermos, the thermos is also stored in a BubbleWrap sleeve. I also have bubble wrap sleeves for use in my freezer or cheap cooler. These sleeves are either duct tapped Reflectix OR repurposed Amazon bags.

🤓 I have a strange love affair with bubble wrap.

ETA: The Hot Thermos water is used for hygiene, as I don't have a Hot Water source.

Last edited:
So you folks, in their mid-80’s (bless their hearts)said they have 12 things of insulation sitting around that I could use on my build. I thought.. score!
Turned out to be 16” x 25’ rolls of reflectix…12 of them. No idea what they had planned for them, they’ve built many houses, cabins, garages, ect. But I know they’d be tickled pink if I used it, as being builders, are excited about my step van.

Other than make window coverings.. what can I use reflectix for? It says 16R for attics if “installed properly” which I guess means with an air gap. I know it’s not really an insulator, but can I use them on the floor as underlammenent or in the cab somehow? Is there value in anything other than window coverings.

I’ve read people just really not liking it, but I would like to know what it can be used for or possibly as … even if it’s not a typical application.
Likes sound barrier??
Thank you
What about on top of your car if your in a hot spot?

Reflectix®, the folks that make and market this stuff say on their website that it's insulation value is R 1.3.
So for R16 your gonna need around 12 layers.
I use it in my northern S&B around my forced air furnace ducts in the basement. Also, in the unheated attic crawl space, tacked overtop of roll insulation between the rafters.
In my box van I have pieces cut to fit over the windows and covered with blackout cloth for use after dark. There it does help to keep moisture from turning to ice on the inside if I've run the buddy heater in 15* snow storms.
Next year I may cave in and cut 1" rigid foam to fit the windows and use in place of the foil.

just my 2¢

I have used a similar product, I think it was called "Easy E" or "Low E Insulation" for areas of my van build where it was just not possible to use the thicker Thinsulate, and then interior siding, mostly wood, over it. Just a few small areas, but at least there is some thermal barrier from the exterior. With a van there are a lot of structural ribs and areas that protrude towards the interior that in most cases I can get Thinsulate behind, but would project too far into the space for much thickness of insulation material over the painted metal, so I used the Reflectix like material.

Reflectix®, the folks that make and market this stuff say on their website that it's insulation value is R 1.3.
So for R16 your gonna need around 12 layers.
I use it in my northern S&B around my forced air furnace ducts in the basement. Also, in the unheated attic crawl space, tacked overtop of roll insulation between the rafters.
In my box van I have pieces cut to fit over the windows and covered with blackout cloth for use after dark. There it does help to keep moisture from turning to ice on the inside if I've run the buddy heater in 15* snow storms.
Next year I may cave in and cut 1" rigid foam to fit the windows and use in place of the foil.

just my 2¢
I have seen 16" wide rolls with a tab running along each edge on the site. It's used for stapling to 16" centered joists underneath floors. Perhaps this is it?

Make an outer envelope for your cooler/refrigerator. It keeps the sun off it.
I did that. It lasted about 1/3 of a trip. Not near enough benefit for the trouble of getting into the cooler. Just sit the cooler in the shade.

I think I’ll use what I can and give all the other rolls to ReStore. I don’t have space really to leave an air gap for the higher R value (like one would do in an attic). Maybe save a roll for lol these great side uses. Thanks guys!

Make storage pouches to keep your laptop, tablets etc from getting overheated in a hot vehicle. Also handy for creating insulating cover to reflect heat away from green propane bottles or butane canisters. Works for water jugs too!

Make storage pouches to keep your laptop, tablets etc from getting overheated in a hot vehicle. Also handy for creating insulating cover to reflect heat away from green propane bottles or butane canisters. Works for water jugs too!
I’ve actually had a laptop battery explode so that’s a really good idea.

Reflectix®, the folks that make and market this stuff say on their website that it's insulation value is R just my 2¢
It is not about R values. This material works differently than foam or batting type filler. It has a micro thin layer of shiny aluminum bonded to the surface. It reflects the radiant heat back from that surface towards the source of the heat. For instance when used as a windshield insert you put up inside your car on a hot day it is reflecting the heat back towards the outside. A "space blanket" used for medical rescues reflects a persons body heat back towards them. If your van interior is cold inside on a cold day it won't do much of anything for you. But if your van is heated and you have it as window coverings it will help keep the heat redirected to the interior instead of it migrating out through the glass. Heat moves towards the cold so you redirect the heat with the reflective coating. That is very different than slowing down the heat migration with insulation materials such as foam or batts. In this case R value is not the criteria for its effectiveness. It only works when it is reflecting heat back towards the source.

Last edited:
It is not about R values. This material works differently than foam or batting type filler. It has a micro thin layer of shiny aluminum bonded to the surface. It reflects the radiant heat back from that surface towards the source of the heat. For instance when used as a windshield insert you put up inside your car on a hot day it is reflecting the heat back towards the outside. A "space blanket" used for medical rescues reflects a persons body heat back towards them. If your van interior is cold inside on a cold day it won't do much of anything for you. But if your van is heated and you have it as window coverings it will help keep the heat redirected to the interior instead of it migrating out through the glass. Heat moves towards the cold so you redirect the heat with the reflective coating. That is very different than slowing down the heat migration with insulation materials such as foam or batts. In this case R value is not the criteria for its effectiveness. It only works when it is reflecting heat back towards the source.
So then why would it not be useful to use on the floor and walls? I keep reading how you shouldn’t use it in builds as it gives no benefit, and I never understood that as I had understood it as you had said… or in the case of having an air gap for attics as it shows on the packaging.

I don’t want a lot of insulation in my floor as I have limited height and heat rises… so wouldn’t to be useful to have it under my subflooring? Or on the walls on one side of the board insulation or the other?

I mean, it’s going to help somewhat to reflect heat back in, or keep heat out, not as insulation. Right? It’s not going to hurt if I just put it in every wall, roof, floor, right? I get that there’s no R value, but it’ll still keep the heat in?
I would just put it on the very inside, the inner most layer under the thin wall panels. Yes?

I don’t know where all Ive seen that it holds little value in a build, but there’s an expert on any and all points on all sides.. one says to do this, the other says absolutely do not do that.

So then why would it not be useful to use on the floor and walls? I keep reading how you shouldn’t use it in builds as it gives no benefit, and I never understood that as I had understood it as you had said… or in the case of having an air gap for attics as it shows on the packaging.

I don’t want a lot of insulation in my floor as I have limited height and heat rises… so wouldn’t to be useful to have it under my subflooring? Or on the walls on one side of the board insulation or the other?

I mean, it’s going to help somewhat to reflect heat back in, or keep heat out, not as insulation. Right? It’s not going to hurt if I just put it in every wall, roof, floor, right? I get that there’s no R value, but it’ll still keep the heat in?
I would just put it on the very inside, the inner most layer under the thin wall panels. Yes?

I don’t know where all Ive seen that it holds little value in a build, but there’s an expert on any and all points on all sides.. one says to do this, the other says absolutely do not do that.
"...insulation in my floor as..."
We wear socks.

"...insulation in my floor as..."
We wear socks.
yes.. you say that every time LM. But it also goes to noise reduction. But yes.. I know you wear socks. I however would like a bit of insulation on my floor before I put down plywood, or any other type of flooring. I’m not walking on a cold metal floor even with socks, to leave a bare floor is sorta… well. You do you.

You could make Reflectix socks! Haha. No, just putting socks isn't going to solve all the problems. Socks don't help with sound. They definitely won't stop the floor from condensation. The OP lives in Alaska, she needs some type of floor insulation! My vote would be to use the Reflectix to make covers for all the cab windows and skylights. And then put down at least like 1/2" foam board on the floor.

I did 1/4" foam board on my whole floor. And then 1" foam on top of that in all the cabinets and under water tank. And 3/4" foam puzzle piece flooring tiles in the walking area. It does ok, but the floor is pretty cold all the time. I wish I did at least 1/2" foam board.