Reflectix. Or whatever that shiny window stuff is called

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisahi

Reaction score
I'm wanting to cover the windows of my minivan with Reflectix.  I understand I can buy it at Lowes/Home Depot.  I also see some folks use a matching tape?  To keep the snaggled cut ends in check?  What about closeness to the interior side of the car window.  Does it work better with an air gap or just pressed up closely cut fitting to the window?  I ask because I'm thinking about using small suction cups to hold each panel in place in the vehicle windows.  Any other helpful hints would be great, I've never owned one of those windshield reflectors (which I assume are basically the same material).  One more thing:  do stealth parkers change out the Reflectix at night so as to call less attention to themselves?  Thanks!

I didn't have any issues with the edges of my Relectix coming apart where I cut it.  It's basically two pieces of foil with bubble-wrap in the center, so it stays together pretty well.  
I attached mine to the inside of the van with adheisive-backed Velcro.  Works great!  

I bought my roll at Home Depot.

Reflectix is great stuff in my book. 
Its best to leave a space for best insulation value but as window covers it does pretty good and blocks light very well the way we do it.
We use panels that are cut to press fit into place.
Its good for reflecting the sun, keeping the van cooler.
I mark/cut them on the outside of each window and trim as needed.
I made some light bungies with wire ends that hold them in place when the window is open.

Its also good for other things, like wrapping an ice chest. Not a high R factor, but real easy to work with and versatile.

Cut it bigger than the window, and you can probably just press it into the frame and it will stay surprisingly well. That's the most common method of applying it.
Bob

: ) everything they said.
We've had our _slightly_ oversized reflectix (a double layer contact cement between layers) for all windows now for over five years and all are still in as-made shape.

Thom

You can also try coating the side that goes against the window with something that will cut down on the light reflectivity.

I found that the reflectix stood out like a sore thumb in the windows when parked in someplace like a WalMart parking lot. I painted one of the panels and it made a huge difference and I was happy with the initial result. I used the wrong paint so it's flaking off - I have to try a different paint next.

Fabric is another thing that could be glued to the reflectix to cut down some of the shiny but IMO, fabric is going to soak up any condensation that gets on the panel and then you'd be in to drying time to prevent mold.

I've used reflectix in 3 of the different vehicles I've lived in. In my experience whether or not it holds on its own mostly depends on the shape of the window frame. The windows in my Sienna all have "windowsills" that taper outwards all around. meaning most reflectix just slides out of them.

I spent months wrestling with solutions for those windows. Even when I got reflectix to stay, it wouldn't reliably hold its form but rather after a week or two it would begin to bow inwards until it fell out. I tried doubling, even tripling ht reflectix together, no dice. I tried using new stuff...in a few weeks it was just as bad.

So far my solution that works well enough for the moment was to use corrugated plastic to hold the shape, reflectix for insulation and Duvetyene (black-out fabric) to block the light.

I'll probably try velcro strips at some point. I'm not totally happy with my current solution but it took me 6 weeks of trial and error to reach something that actually worked.

In the other vehicles plain reflectix stayed on its own without much fuss.

Almost There said:
You can also try coating the side that goes against the window with something that will cut down on the light reflectivity.

I found that the reflectix stood out like a sore thumb in the windows when parked in someplace like a WalMart parking lot. I painted one of the panels and it made a huge difference and I was happy with the initial result. I  used the wrong paint so it's flaking off - I have to try a different paint next.

Fabric is another thing that could be glued to the reflectix to cut down some of the shiny but IMO, fabric is going to soak up any condensation that gets on the panel and then you'd be in to drying time to prevent mold.

Hi Lady Arabella:  Your reply about fabric on one side leads me to another question:  is there a lot of condensation after a night spent in the van (assuming the windows are all shut tight), so much so that the reflectix needs to be wiped down in the am?  Seems like the best of both worlds would be shiny side out during the day to deflect the sun's rays, and blackout fabric side out at night to deflect troublemakers.  But if dampness/mold is an issue ...
Thanks!

Bitty said:
I've used reflectix in 3 of the different vehicles I've lived in. In my experience whether or not it holds on its own mostly depends on the shape of the window frame. The windows in my Sienna all have "windowsills" that taper outwards all around. meaning most reflectix just slides out of them.

I spent months wrestling with solutions for those windows. Even when I got reflectix to stay, it wouldn't reliably hold its form but rather after a week or two it would begin to bow inwards until it fell out. I tried doubling, even tripling ht reflectix together, no dice. I tried using new stuff...in a few weeks it was just as bad.

So far my solution that works well enough for the moment was to use corrugated plastic to hold the shape, reflectix for insulation and Duvetyene (black-out fabric) to block the light.

I'll probably try velcro strips at some point. I'm not totally happy with my current solution but it took me 6 weeks of trial and error to reach something that actually worked.

In the other vehicles plain reflectix stayed on its own without much fuss.
Hi Bitty:  I too am working with a minivan, so thanks for the heads up about potential 'reflectix slides'.  I guess I'll try cutting just one and see how it goes instead of cutting all at once and ending up wasting resources.  I don't want to use velcro, it ends up getting nasty at some point down the road, and once again go back to the suction cup idea, although now I can imagine light leaks at night.  Do you have a condensation problem with the Duvetyene fabric?  Thank you.

Lisahi said:
I'm wanting to cover the windows of my minivan with Reflectix.  I understand I can buy it at Lowes/Home Depot.  I also see some folks use a matching tape?  To keep the snaggled cut ends in check?  What about closeness to the interior side of the car window.  Does it work better with an air gap or just pressed up closely cut fitting to the window?  I ask because I'm thinking about using small suction cups to hold each panel in place in the vehicle windows.  Any other helpful hints would be great, I've never owned one of those windshield reflectors (which I assume are basically the same material).  One more thing:  do stealth parkers change out the Reflectix at night so as to call less attention to themselves?  Thanks!

Thank you all for your help and insights!  What an amazing resource of information you all are.  I'm so fortunate to be able to share your knowledge.  Happy Trails!!

Lisahi said:
Hi Lady Arabella:  Your reply about fabric on one side leads me to another question:  is there a lot of condensation after a night spent in the van (assuming the windows are all shut tight), so much so that the reflectix needs to be wiped down in the am?  Seems like the best of both worlds would be shiny side out during the day to deflect the sun's rays, and blackout fabric side out at night to deflect troublemakers.  But if dampness/mold is an issue ...
Thanks!

How much condensation you're going to get depends on a whole lot of factors. Where you are in the continent is one of them. In Arizona the air is so dry that no, you don't get condensation...there's no water in the air to condense.

Further north/east/higher altitude etc, it will depend on how warm you're keeping the inside of the van. On my recent trip northeast from AZ by the time I was in Missouri I noticed some small amounts of condensation on the cargo windows after sleeping in the unheated van at night. It wasn't much, I didn't even have to wipe them down but it was there.

Here, where I'm plugged in to electricity and can use a small heater all night long, I'm not noticing condensation but I keep the van fairly cool at night. It's also fairly mild at night outside and it hasn't rained here lately.

My only concern with covering one side of the reflectix with fabric of any kind is that, if you get a lot of condensation, you will end up with wet, soggy window panels that then have to be left out to dry. And most likely at a time when you don't have a place to lay them all out in the fresh air to dry...like when you're trying to travel!