Reflectix as removable window insulation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinemaphonic

Reaction score
Hey just wanted to get an opinion on this.

My van has a lot of windows and during the winter I want to be able to insulate them but also take them off easily. There is about 1.5" of space between the windows and their frames, so I was thinking I would cut some reflectix to the size of the frame and velcro it. This way I can take it on and off and store easily. I'm wondering, would this work along the same lines as putting plastic shrink wrap on house windows? From what I understand shrink wrap works by trapping air between the frame and the window, so I figure with double sided reflexctix this could be even more effective.

Thanks.

I've never shrink wrapped a house but have used reflectix for years on many different vehicles we've lived in and love it. It really makes a difference!

Been doing that for years and it's helped keep the van warmer in cold weather as well as privacy. There are some proviso's however... Heat conducts through exposed interior sheet metal readily, so if you have a lot of it then your van will get pretty cold regardless. Depending on how cold it gets, even insulated parts of your van will allow heat to escape if it's not done thoroughly. I have a Ford Cargo Van that's fairly insulated and after turning the catalytic heater off will stay quite a bit above ambient outside temperature for a few hours if it's in the upper 30's and low 40's. By morning, it's always at least a few degrees above outside temperature so it's cold. Guess it just depends on how good the vans insulation is in general.

freenez2 said:
Been doing that for years and it's helped keep the van warmer in cold weather as well as privacy. There are some proviso's however... Heat conducts through exposed interior sheet metal readily, so if you have a lot of it then your van will get pretty cold regardless. Depending on how cold it gets, even insulated parts of your van will allow heat to escape if it's not done thoroughly. I have a Ford Cargo Van that's fairly insulated and after turning the catalytic heater off will stay quite a bit above ambient outside temperature for a few hours if it's in the upper 30's and low 40's. By morning, it's always at least a few degrees above outside temperature so it's cold. Guess it just depends on how good the vans insulation is in general.

Mine is a conversion that is fiberglass insulated. I just got it and am totally new to this. In fact I haven't spent a night in the van yet! Mainly because i'm in Wisconsin and it's cold. I was also thinking I might sandwich some fiberglass between 2 sheets of reflectix and gorilla tape around it to seal it. I figure that should jump the R value on the windows at least. There's not a lot of exposed metal in the van, except in the front, but that will be partitioned off, also with reflectix.

To keep from feeling like you are in a dark cave, you can also use clear bubble wrap on the windows. It works almost as well as reflectix but doesn't leave you in the dark. I like a mix of reflectix and clear bubble wrap. And yes, I have used both.

Another Reflectix user here. I haven't tried velcro - if you cut it just right it stays in by simple compression.

cinemaphonic said:
Mine is a conversion that is fiberglass insulated. I just got it and am totally new to this. In fact I haven't spent a night in the van yet! Mainly because i'm in Wisconsin and it's cold.

I'd recommend spending a night in it while parked in your driveway or an unheated garage/shed. If it gets too cold, you can simply go inside for the rest of the night. Only way to truly get a feel for what you need is to dip your toes in! Come on in, the water's fine. :)