Refilling 1 pound propane tanks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EL34xyz

Reaction score
I have had several comments on my videos about why I use 1 pound tanks

This video explains why I like 1 pound tanks and how I refill them

Note that I had to mod the Flame King adapter to be able to refill Coleman 1 pound tanks
I will have more info on that mod later

again can you please give some kind of written explanation of what you are doing and why? many members here are not going to watch the video. another point I am sure you know it is illegal to transport the 1lb tanks once they have been refilled. highdesertranger

REGULATIONS FOR ONE POUND PROPANE GAS CYLINDERS United States: 

49 Code of Federal Regulations 

(CFR) 178.65: Specification 39 non-reusable non-refillable cylinders: F

or cylinders manufactured on or after October 1, 1996, Federal law forbids transportation if refilled with a fine up to $500,000 and five years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124). 

National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code, 4.2.2.5: Cylinders authorized as “single trip,” “nonrefillable,” or “disposable” cylinders shall not be refilled with LP-Gas.

http://calpsc.org/mobius/cpsc-conte...-Cylinders-Regulations-Page-FINAL-3_10_15.pdf

Half a million dollars if someone wants to make an example.

There are refillable 1 lb cans you can buy.

The video shows the Flame King set-up previously discussed on the forum .....but he reuses the disposable bottles by using a hemostat on the safety valve on the green bottles to allow complete filling........he does weigh the bottle to insure a margin of safety