Redpocket 10 Gig plan $23.25/month for any carrier

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my Redpocket $60 a year plan on a Sprint phone that gives you 100 minutes/100 text and 500 Mb of data a month to their $279 a year plan with unlimited talk and text plus 10 gigs of data a month on whichever network works for your phone. In my case I will be putting it on a Verizon phone to replace the $5 a month hotspots. It isn't unlimited but for the cost 10 gigs will get me through the rare times that it is Verizon or nothing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132614357893

For the record, I do not own Redpocket, Make money from or have any involvement in how it's run. Should they close tomorrow it will suck for me like everyone else.

Actually this one is not for ALL carriers.
I am in the market for a renewal on RP as well (have been using their Verizon plan since last year and am quite happy with it).
From what I understand the 10 GB plan is only for Sprint and ATT and cannot be used to renew VZ or TMO.

Considering it's not a bad deal if ATT works for you, it may still be worth considering, but if you want Verizon, this particular deal unfortunately won't work.

Glad to see your disclaimer Jim. I know you got hammered over the $5 stuff (not by me). And thanks for that by the way. Sometimes common sense isn't so common. Everyone should know you don't have ANY control of what some business does.

Good catch straycat. It is confusing because in the listing it talks about bringing a Verizon phone.

I spoke to their chat and found out the largest Verizon capable plans are 4 gig at $360 a year ($30 a month) and the 2 gig plan that is on sale until the 19th for $199 or $16.58 a month.

I can use this plan on AT&T and have good coverage but I have unlimited data on AT&T. I also have unlimited data on Sprint so I will return it.

The 4 gig plan at $30 a month is pretty expensive considering that Visible is unlimited at $40.

The 2 gig plan at $16.58 a month isn't a lot of data but it would be enough for call/text,emails and forums in the event I am in Verizon only areas like Primrose pass. This is the option I will likely go with.

Yeah, I am underwhelmed by the 4GB plan as well. I have been stalking their promos and have been hoping something good would come up by Black Friday,  but so far nottin!
I got their 6GB special on BF last year and if worse comes to worse, I can renew that at the price of the 4gig plan, which is okish. 
They don't sell this though, just if you've had the deal, you can renew for the same rate, if I understand correctly.
I'll do that, if they won't come up with anything good between now and the 22nd.

Chat confirmed that on the 2 gig plan listed as unlimited the you get 2 gigs of high speed and 2G after that. On Verizon that's just 64K but it's still at least the basics of email and forums.

LTE **phones** sold by Verizon were required to be unlocked on the GSM compatibility side.

In most cases not optimized for all the bands used though.

Am sticking with VISIBLE at $40 monthly unlimited. That and a Mobley account sim in my MOFY hotspot with AT&T for $25 monthly unlimited.

Sure the red pocket yearly plan looks cool at that $20 a month price. Just don’t want to be de-prioritized.

But have been de-prioritized on VISIBLE (just in general not due to data cap) and it kind of sucks a lot. Wife has a full Verizon $40 monthly plan with 4gigs and data carry over. She never looses capability or connection. Example — while at Acadia National Park in Bar harbor Maine her iPhone se worked always. My iPhone se would not connect in visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goshawk said:
 Example — while at Acadia National Park in Bar harbor Maine her iPhone se worked always. My iPhone se would not connect in visible.

Not connecting has to do with roaming and not throttling.  The MVNO's don't roam, only the native carriers roam.  I used to have straight talk on Verizon.  I finally went native Verizon because a lot of places I like to go was roaming service.

The only MVNO's that I have had that roamed were the two Sprint hotspots, the most recent on PCs4P. My Cricket phone rarely let me down but I have noticed that there are places that the Mobley connects that it and the freedompop AT&T sims didn't.

My 4GAS T-Mobile hotspot doesn't roam and it can be prioritized. I have only really noticed it in big cities. The 3G hotspots were all Page Plus so I expect that Red Pocket and Visible services to work or not in the same areas.

Are you referring to when you're driving around? 
Because I thought you use a Weboost to pick up internet?

Weboost is just generic hardware.

Nothing to do with which MVNO / reseller / providers you pay for your network service.

Offhand, how many GB is enough? The big problem as I see it is that, anymore almost every website you go to D/Ls tons and tons crap adverts into your browser. And they are all graphics. 2 KB of content and 100 MB of crap.

We often go over 110GB per month.

Just me, not streaming/DLing much video, maybe 20-30GB is enough.

Could easily get by on maybe 10GB if I needed to, but that would mean no video.

Kids on their own devices I pay for 2GB as part of chores/allowance, after that they have to cover the remainder.

I rarely use the weBoost while driving as the interstates are pretty good. Generally I remember areas south of San Antone, NM and the run north from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon and beyond as areas the Cricket phone did not get service. The Rockies around Jefferson were bad for it too.

QinReno said:
Offhand, how many GB is enough? The big problem as I see it is that, anymore almost every website you go to D/Ls tons and tons crap adverts into your browser. And they are all graphics. 2 KB of content and 100 MB of crap.

There are never enough GB's but still in a must make do situation it is amazing how little I can get away with. There are always options like the Opera browser that well reduce ads and such.

jimindenver said:
There are never enough GB's but still in a must make do situation it is amazing how little I can get away with. There are always options like the Opera browser that well reduce ads and such.

Does anyone here use the Opera browser? Does it work as advertised? I am spending more time waiting for stuff to load due to adds and bulking up the GB on my service as well.     ~crofter

Adblockers, rooted Android with custom ROMs can help too.

I think I have downloaded it once but never really got in to using it. I did know a person that was really into it and I bet is using it now to help avoid getting throttled on a unlimited plan somehow. Back then we had RingPlus and freedompop with extremely limited amounts of data so Opera really made a big difference.

crofter said:
Does anyone here use the Opera browser? Does it work as advertised? I am spending more time waiting for stuff to load due to adds and bulking up the GB on my service as well.     ~crofter

yes, i use opera on an older android 4.0 and not only does it save data but it downloads pages and most stuff much quicker. there are some sites that dont play well and i have to turn off the compression or switch to another browser

but opera mini in my goto browser on my old android