Recommendations Sought - Bed For Vanlife - Sleep Is Terrible For Me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here's what works for me.

For decades, if I strayed from home, I slept on a therm-a-rest, foam filled, air mattress. It's 20 inches wide and 3/4 inches thick. When I started roaming the world in a car I made wooden platforms that were 20 inches wide and 6 feet long. One way or another I found room for it and called it home.

My current vehicle, the Kia Sportage RV, started out the same way. Part of the modification of the car involved replacing one of the back seats with a wooden bin and another bin between it and the front seat. With the air mattress fully inflated it was awkward to lift it, whaterver was on it and the wooden cover under it while also reaching into the bin.

A new idea developed. At a thrift store I bought an egg carton type camping pad and two yoga mats. I cut them into three 20 in wide sections, each the length of one of the bins and the back of the car. Then I slid them into 20 inch pillow cases. This almost worked. It needed something just a little softer on the top.

Another store has a section where you never know what you will find. There I found 2 inch foam for lining speaker cabinets. Now its perfect.

My mattress has 3 sections, 15, 30 and 25 inches long. My mattress cover and sheet is 3 pillow cases. When the 4 layers are pressed into their cases, they are about 2 inches thick. A piece of 1x2 on each side of the wooden bin lids keeps them from moving from side to side. About the same time I finished creating this I closed the tailgate on the air mattress, causing both of us to let out a long sigh. I took this as a sign that the new mattress was a success.

I can easily lift either of the bin covers and the mattress section on top of it from my seat in the remaining rear seat or from outside on the other side of the car.

Sometimes I look at the bed at home and wonder why.

MG

First thing to do if you have gerd is to quit taking Ibuprofin or Naproxen types of pain killers. They inhibit your stomach from creating the cells that create a protective lining. That also includes the esphogeal area. Use 8 hour. Time release Tylenol instead. It is muchneasier on your stomach.

Next pay attention to the list of foods thatbrelacknthe valve at the top of the stomach. Never eat those foods in the evening hours.

Then think outsidebthe box and dont keep on sleeping on the same old style of bed most people use in vans ot in a stick built dwelling. Think it through and you will realize the probllem is easy to solve.

Next bed cushions will develop a sag where your hips settle at night. Make your bed out of three equal sized cushions. That way you can rotate which cushion is in the center. Or else you can justvreplave the foam material for the center cusion whic is the one under ypur hips without having to replace all of the foam. Thatnis abgood cost saving way to go.

Latex cushionns with a series of holes through the foam are the most deformation resistant mattress material. But also it is nthe heaviest in weight. But asnthe cusion under your hips is the one thay gets the most abuse the other two cushions can be made with an alternative, lighter and less expensive foam. foam product.

Having a 3 section mattress makes it easy to create a bed platform with three sections of plywood. That makes it easy to hinge the section the upper body is resting on. That allows you to have an adjustable position bed. It is nice for sleeping or for reclining etc.