Box-beds, AKA sleeping boxes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skyl4rk said:
Thanks for the links, very cool.  I like this idea.  I have been mainly focusing on making sleeping quilts that keep me warm in severe cold weather, but a box bed would temper the breathing air a bit.  I also like the idea of a box bed warm enough to keep water and shoes from freezing.  Keeping water warm enough not to freeze is a big deal while winter camping.  Putting on icy shoes really sucks.

In tents and bivy bags, condensation can be a problem during cold weather, but you have dealt with condensation through ventilation and using breathable blankets.

I also like the stealth aspect of sleeping under a "blanket fort".  I'm sure your blanket fort will protect you from grizzly bears and other monsters (with assistance from the steel body panels of the van).

How do you get in and out of the box bed?
I'm the same way, wanting to see out windows, star-gaze, and yes, especially see what might be going on outside.  I wonder about tinted windows, see out, but they can't see in ;)  When I stayed in a 5th wheel for a time, it didn't get as cold, well, 30 degrees yes, and I did good in a sleeping bag, and wore my camping coat (very warm) and a Stocking cap.  Maybe I could do ok like the OP if a had a shotgun instead of a teddy-bear ;)

When I travelled on 2 wheeled vehicles I was out in cold weather too sometimes. I started with a very tiny tent without the cover on it and a slightly larger tent over that. It could be very cozy in there. I would also make a thermos of very hot coffee for the foot of the sleeping bag. Try drinking your hot water bottle in the morning.

MG

Compared to how most people sleep, I do sleep in a box. It's about six feet wide, four and a half feet high and about 19 feet long. It's made of steel and glass and sits on wheels.

The Japanese have hotels with box bed units. Even drawer like bed units.

The movie Fifth Element had slightly larger box units.

Don't make it air tight, you don't want to be Schrödinger's cat.

I want to bring up the topic of box-beds, or sleeping under a platform or INSIDE a box. Yes, it's a thing. Taken from the 1900's and before, when heating spaces could be difficult. (Kinda like living in vans).

I've been using a sleeping box arrangement for several years (mostly during camping). The coldest I've been in is 10-20degF. The other reason to sleep under the platform is to stay stealth in urban areas.
DU3h9jt.png

From the picture above, I sleep under that wooden platform. I put a mattress underneath. And then I drape blankets over the sides and the top. That insulates the sleeping box / box bed area.

This is an insulation alternative, since you can insulate the box bed and not your whole van.

The basic idea is quite old.

More pictures and notes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-bed

Basic Idea

• Build a box. It can be 6-sided with doors, 5-sided with side opening. Mine above is just 1-sided: it's just a table I sleep under.
  • Use blankets to insulate the top, sides, and bottom of the van.
  • Leave an air hole. two 1x1" holes will create a cross draft. Remember, hot air rises. You don't need much to allow you to have enough oxygen.
  • Your sleeping box is small, so easy to keep heated with just body heat. This saves a lot of money. A hot water bottle also works wonders.
NOTE: In very cold situations, water will freeze. I will put some water inside the sleeping box so I have some that is not frozen.
TIPS: In a pinch, I use cardboard for the side walls.
If the humidity builds up too much in the box, that means you don't have enough ventilation. So, put a larger gap.

You can see more of my build here:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=141164
Really great idea! And good use of space.

The Japanese have hotels with box bed units. Even drawer like bed units.

The movie Fifth Element had slightly larger box units.
Also seen on Seinfeld. Although, these units were lovingly hand-crafted by the legendary Carl Fargman.
-.gif

This thread inspired me to try this $80 DIY Box-bed'ish set-up.

I used a Lowes 24x36 Heavy-duty 5-Tier shelf. I cut & made adjustments to the bottom shelf to accommodate the wheel well. With cushions and my sleeping bag it's comfortable. I'm a side sleeper so it's set up end-to-end ,(72" long x 24" wide).

I likey. It's sturdy, itsVENTILATED, it has built in storage, it's Modular, and that top area comes in handy.

Attachments

• 20220510_165852.jpg
    20220510_165852.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220510_171345.jpg
    20220510_171345.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 14