Recommend an Excellent 12v "Car Kettle".... water heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oberneldon said:
SternWake - not quite sure who your remarks were for.  

It was just a generalized rant.  I was in a strange mood after dealing with what passes for humanity in this corner of the country

I wanted to update on the use of the mini 12v coffee pot. I have searched and can't find it for sale anymore but it has been about 15 years since we bought it if not more.

It was great early in the morning before the sun was up. i would make the pot up before I went to bed and turned it on when i shuffled by on the way to the bathroom in the morning. By the time I was done in there and taking the dogs out, I had a pot just big enough to fill my tall insulated cup. No warming plate to worry about keeping the coffee hot. By the time Honey was up we used the big coffee maker because it can make two big cups at a time.

We also used it for heating water for a small load of dishes or enough to shave/ wash up with. ( well one of the ways we deal with hot water)

I did remove the ciggy plug and put clips on it, that makes a big difference.

As i said I can't find the make we have any more but i did find a Roadpro RSP-784 12v auto drip that takes only 156w and the coffee goes right into a metal mug. Most of the bad reviews are for long brewing or such, most of which would be improved by replacing the ciggy plug and having decent wiring. I did see a video on it where it took twice as long to make the coffee but his wiring was a mess and he was only pulling 10a instead of the 13a the unit would use.

I recently bought the "Car Electric Kettle Boiling Vehicle Cigarette Lighter DC12V Heating Cup Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Adjustable temperature" by Uniox. It's pricey, but I liked the fact that it's an insulated, screw-capped bottle. The Road Pro kettle and the Road Pro heating coil looked like an accident waiting to happen to me as I'm in a cramped minivan.

The second or third time I used my kettle, I blew a fuse, so I switched it from 120W to 80W with a switch on the bottom. I haven't had any other issues so far. (Ask me in a few months!).

Also, 0.5 L isn't a lot of water, but I find it just enough to make my oatmeal or a packet or two of ramen, so it does the job I want.

Attachments

• Sparder.png
    Sparder.png
    276.6 KB · Views: 18
Perhaps you can run a heavier wire with a heavy duty connector to use at the higher setting. Size for 15 or 20 amps.

akrvbob said:
Thanks for the review! How fast does it warm the water and does it ever boil or just get hot?
Bob

The water can either be heated to a chosen temp or brought up to boil. I usually boil it but haven't timed it. It definitely gets to 100 C. The product description says 16 minutes, and it does seem about that quick, though maybe a little slower at the 80w setting. One of the great things is that with the vacuum design, the outside doesn't get too hot to handle, and the cap is designed so that while a little steam gets out, it's not a huge scalding plume.

Goshawk said:
Can it work for tea?

The interior is stainless steel, but the manufacturer recommends not boiling anything in it but plain water (although they do say in the manual you can boil eggs, which I'm going to try.) I think tea would be OK, but it'd be a bear to clean out the stains. The top hole is small and the interior is tall. It'd be hard to hit every area with any scrubbing leverage, no matter the tool.

In terms of temp, it's just fine for tea. It does get water to boiling. And if you're a tea aficionado who will only do tea at 190 F or 175 F or whatever, you can get the water to that temperature and hold it there until use. But the temp is in Celsius, so you'll have to know what those temps translate to.

ccbreder said:
Perhaps you can run a heavier wire with a heavy duty connector to use at the higher setting. Size for 15 or 20 amps.

I've considered that based on SternWake's comments and my own blown fuse. I'm not sure if I'd just have to run the thicker wire from the fuse box and switch to an increased fuse rating, or if there's more to it. I've also wondered about upgrading the female plug in the van and the male end on the water heater to a connect pro trolling motor plug, like the image below. If I did that, I'd want the same plug for my RoadPro stove and female ends for both my van plugs and my 12v plug off my solar battery system. There'd be some $$$ involved, but maybe it's the way to go. I'll probably wait and see whether I get problems with my current setup before jumping on a more expensive solution.

1422591.jpg