Recommedations for Mobile Hotspot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unckybob

Reaction score
I am looking for a mobile hotspot that will work with either Verizon or AT&amp;T. I really want one that will work with an external antenna.<br /><br />Does anyone know of a particular model that will do these things?

I think a better bet would to simply tether your phone directly. My HTC Thunderbolt does this relatively easily.

I agree with Furryshoes. Use an Android phone and an App called Barnacle and turn your phone into a hotspot. If you want an external antenna get a cradle from <span style="font-size: medium;"><cite><span style="font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; font-style: normal;">smoothtalker.com. </span></cite><em><span style="font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; font-style: normal;">Set the phone in the cradle and hookup the antenna and you have a hotspot.</span></em></span> <cite></cite>

will barnacle work with verizon phones? I pay $30 extra a month to use my mobile as a modem via usb

Yes I have Verizon and I've been using Barnacle for about 4 years on my Android phone just be sure you use an Android phone. What kind of computer do you use? Some iPads and Tables will not connect to a Barnacle (ad-hoc) hotspot.<br /><br />VanGirl

I use a PC type computer.<br /><br />Will the Android phone work with an external antenna?

Millenicom has a hotspot device that apparently works really well and has been highly recommended by some on the road.

To use an external antenna with a Android phone you will need to buy a cradle adapter from smoothtalker.com It works really well.<br /><br />VanGirl

does the smoothtalker.com product line work well with the cellphones? &nbsp;has anyone done testing with and without the cellphone cradle to compare connectivity?<br /><br />Am looking at the pricing of $500 (cradle and amplifier) and just want to hear from others of outstanding success, or of mediocre performance. &nbsp;either report would be appreciated.<br /><br />Would rather spend money on a cellphone booster and have it work, that to try alternatives (like amatuer radio, which yiu need a licence for, but will work fine). &nbsp;<br /><br />

<p>Sierra OverDrive&nbsp;Pro 3G/4G. Handles 6 devices at once, including wireless printers, and takes a good sized data card and functions as a network with shareable storage (32gigs, I think). We have a Sprint dataplan which also uses Verizon coverage for no additional fee and get 6gb for $50 - more than we need and we're online quite a bit. we dont do a lot of video, however.<br /><br />We have no other wireless in the house, and any wireless device will work: an old iTouch, anything. We bought ours at Best Buy for $50 with a two year contract.</p>

this all assumes you have 3G or 4G connectivity available &nbsp;most remote boondock camp sites do not have 3G or 4G, and worst case do not even have cellphone coverage.<br /><br />not trying to hijack the thread, but think a cell signal booster or better antenna would be of real help to most campers. &nbsp;even if it costs $500<br /><br />just have to know if it will work<br /><br />

Keep in mind that your phone will need to be rooted to use Barnacle and your carrier may block you or at least throttle back your data speed greatly when they see that you are obviously using your phone as a hotspot. Read your carriers terms or call them.<br /><br /><br />
Audoni said:
will barnacle work with verizon phones? I pay $30 extra a month to use my mobile as a modem via usb

You can use barnacle on android. To avoid problems with your phone carrier use firefox as your browser and add-on user-agent with a Android header. By doing this your data appears to be coming from an android phone even tho you are browsing with your computer. I have been doing this for more than 3 years and have never had a problem or been charge more.

Hi VanGirl<br /><br />You sure are a wealth of great information and I thank you for sharing.<br /><br />Okay, this is awesome and I have questions please...<br /><br />1) Are you saying that if we use a user agent add on for Firefox with an Android header that we can&nbsp;use our cellphone as a mobile access point and our cell phone provider won't know because their system will think we're using our cell phone to go online? (Say it IS so!)<br /><br />2) And if true, does that mean there would be no reason to buy a separate hotspot device like the Millenicom http://www.millenicom.com/page/plans or whatever?<br /><br />3) My Android phone is rooted and when I go to: Settings &gt; Wireless and Network &gt; Mobile AP &gt; there is a little check box to tick that enables my phone to become an access point. I tried it and both my Macbook Pro and my iPad recognized it immediately. My question is: Why would I need an app like Barnacle if I already have this Mobile AP setting?<br /><br />4) I did a search at Mozilla for a user agent add on and there are lots. I tried two but there was no choice for an Android header. Could you tell me the name of the user agent you're using please?<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />Stephen<br /><br /><br /><br />
VanGirl said:
You can use barnacle on android. To avoid problems with your phone carrier use firefox as your browser and add-on user-agent with a Android header. By doing this your data appears to be coming from an android phone even tho you are browsing with your computer. I have been doing this for more than 3 years and have never had a problem or been charge more.

I use a Verizon MIFI hot spot device and have been very happy with it. I also use a cradle amplifier from Wilson called the Sleek. It does a very good job. I've had my cell phone jump from 1 bar to 5 bars when I put it in the cradle. It allows you to hook up an external antenna, so I have a Wilson Trucker Cell Phone Antenna. The two work great together.&nbsp;<br /><br />Whatever you get, make sure it does 4g. They are switching out the towers really fast and being stuck with 3g for the next two years would be a mistake. 4g is tremendously faster!!<br /><br />I just bloged about the Wilson sleek, you can see it here<br />http://cheaprvlivingblog.com/. I have a Amazon ad for it and the antenna on the page, if you click on it I make a few pennies. Bob

bob - think I am going to try this with my iphone 4. &nbsp;since its sold on amazon can return it if it makes no difference. &nbsp;but do I need the antenna you mentioned to get the boost from 1 to 5 bars? &nbsp;or will the existing antenna with the Wilson Cradle give me a noticable boost?

I use PDANet app on android - no rooting required. You can make your phone a net interface via usb cable, wifi or bluetooth.

paddling_man<br /><br />And what user agent are you using on your computers browser so your cellphone provider won't figure out what you're doing?<br /><br />Also, are you an SUP paddler?<br /><br /><br /><br />
paddling_man said:
I use PDANet app on android - no rooting required. You can make your phone a net interface via usb cable, wifi or bluetooth.

Anyone tried this cheap and dirty cellphone booster yet? You cut the top and one side off of an aluminum can and rest your phone in it.<br /><br />[video]<br /><br />And here is an even simpler version which requires you to lay your phone on 2 pieces of aluminum foil...<br /><br />[video]

The Wilson Sleek comes with a 4 inch mag mount antenna that actually worked pretty well. I can't remember for sure when i checked it and went from 1 to 4 bars, but I assume it must have been right away with the 4 inch antenna. Amazon also sells a 12 inch mag mount that works with it. <br /><br />I think it is by far the most bang for your buck. There are better amplifiers that I'm sure are better, but they are hundreds of dollars, the Sleek is $84<br /><br />The link below will send you to my blog. Scroll down and you will see an ad for the Sleek and the Trucker Antenna on the right. Bob<br /><br />http://cheaprvlivingblog.com/