Recipe: Stovetop Skillet Cornbread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compassrose

Reaction score
Thought I would post my old cornbread recipe from my tent camping days. I still make it but not as often as I used to. I have found that the small glass saucepan lid in the Visions (glass cookware) sets fit my 5" skillets pretty well.

Stovetop Skillet Cornbread
Makes 1 (5") skillet or 2-4 servings (or one single rather large serving)

You will need a lid for your 5" skillet. I have found that if you measure your pan (both inside the top edge and outside the top edge), you can often find a lid that will fit at a thrift store. I used this recipe a lot when we were tent camping or in the popup camper. It is a handy recipe to use when you don't have an oven or when you only want a small amount of cornbread with no left overs."Very low heat" is as low as your burners will go without the flame going out.

Pour a small amount of oil in such as peanut or sunflower oil or melt some coconut oil in the 5" cast iron skillet, cover and heat over very low heat on top of the range until very hot. Meanwhile, combine 1/4 CUP UNBLEACHED ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, 1/4 CUP PLAN CORNMEAL (not cornbread mix but plain cornmeal), 1 TSP BAKING POWDER & 1/4 TSP SALT, mix well. Stir in 1 BEATEN EGG, 1/4 CUP MILK & 1 TBSP OIL.  Pour batter into hot skillet; cover and cook over very low heat for 5 minutes. Turn cake over and cook, uncovered, an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.

Similar to my late Father's panfried cornbread too. Add some locally made Cane Syrup, and it was mighty good eatin'! Sometmes he would add cracklins to it.

Saved to my recipe collection!

Thanks, a good cornbread recipe was one thing I was missing!!

mmmm, I just ate diner and this just made me hungry again. good thing I am to tired to do anything about it now. but tomorrow is a different story. highdesertranger