Rechargeable power source - Backpack sized?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarCampire

Reaction score
The closest thing I have found is far from what Im looking for:<br />http://www.amazon.com/Powerbag-Charging-Smartphones-eReaders-RFAP-0123F/dp/B005JLQL26<br /><br />Im looking for a <em><strong>rechargeable power source</strong> <strong>I can hide in a back pack</strong> </em>and recharge at work / gym / library / ect... <br /><br />If it gave me anywhere between two to three extra hours of powering my laptop / a light I would be happy.<br /><br /><strong>Anyone know of such a thing?</strong> <br /><br />I am looking into solar (you guys have some awesome threads on solar here) but until I figure out how to have a stealth solar panel - I would like the power.

If you have a 12V adapter for your laptop, you can buy one of those 'jump start' battery things.&nbsp; I.e. it's basically a car battery in a nice package.&nbsp; It would be VERY heavy, but it would fit in a large backpack.&nbsp; Walmart, Target, Auto Parts stores they all carry them.&nbsp; They are heavy, but most would fit in a backpack (tho not much else would fit).&nbsp; They usually have lights or radios or whatever attached to them as well.<br /><br />Otherwise I agree, go for the laptop battery extender option.&nbsp; They even make backpacks with solar panels and batteries built into them.<br /><br />As for total stealth solar, you can get the rollable/foldable solar panels (they cost more), but that way they can be put away whenever you need stealth, and then unroll/unfold them and lay them out in the sun when you need electricity.<br /><br />You could do that with a full size non-flexible panel, I did this with a 200W panel before I got it mounted to the roof rack.&nbsp; It's not the most fun to lay it out in the sun every day, but it works.&nbsp; Eventually I found out that If I just put it up against the back windows (still inside the van), I usually got enough power for my needs.<br /><br />Around stealth and solar, if you have a roof rack, and you cover it in plywood, and then put the panel on top of the plywood, chances are nobody unless they are VERY tall would notice.&nbsp; Personally, I camp out in cities sometimes, and I never have any problems, and I have a 200W panel mounted to the roof rack, without any plywood.&nbsp; most people can see SOMETHING flat is up there, but unless you are 7' tall or looking down on the van for some reason, nobody can tell it's a solar panel.&nbsp; I've never had issues with anyone getting mad for being a vandweller so far.<br /><br />Anyways, lots of luck and success!<br /><br />With Love,<br />Tara