Rear Ended

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool and sending good health vibes you way and all other great vibes to get the whole BS stuff handled!

Glad you're ok. Can't believe that's enough damage for the insurance company to total it. Will you have to buy it back from them?

Isn't that always the case? Perhaps I should have said that I'm surprised the repair costs for that damage exceeds the book value of the vehicle so the insurance company decided it was totaled. The question about having to buy it back remains, though.

Yes that is always the case, and I have not heard back from the insurance company yet.. How every KBB, gives a value of this vehicle of about 3500.. the cast of repair is almost double.

****UPDATE***
Well the insurance company is giving me $3200 for the van..
And yes they totaled it.

I will take it to the body shop that gave the estimate, and have them do just enough to get the light assembly in. I will bond the rest myself

I believe that in this state if they total your vehicle and give you a check for it, they then own it and if you then want it you have to negotiate a price with them to get it. I also think that the title is changed to reflect that it was totalled and to register it again it needs to be inspected and certified safe for the road. I'm not 100% sure on that, but perhaps it's something to check on.

Yes you are going to have to buy it from the insurance company(money). Yes the are going to give you a salvaged title and you will have to get it inspected(money). Then what is your insurance company going to say some will not insure vehicles with a salvage title. Then you are going to pay a shop to get the light in(money). Then you will try to use bondo to repair it yourself(money).

If it was me I would get the light in myself. Also I would forget the bondo there is no way bondo will help that, it's just a waste of money in my book. bondo is for making small repairs not whole quarter panels.

Highdesertranger

If you have your receipts or can get them from repairs you have done or had done they are obligated to replace your van with a like or better van in most states but you need to check with a lawyer. You do not have to accept the check I believe and they will be required to have you sign off on what ever vehicle you settle for or the money which signing the check proves you were. Especially with an injury involved make sure the lawyer advises you on your options for a settlement. It is very unlikely you will come out even when dealing with an insurance company without legal representation. If you are willing to accept the money and buy it back for my guess is less than $1,000 and you feel comfortable driving it after having it checked out for safety and problems that may have been caused by the accident till it falls apart with only liability insurance never intending to sell it maybe if you need the money, but you are still loosing the original value you had invested in the vehicle and have to deal with the damage. It would be difficult to replace the vehicle in this market for $3,200. I would make them replace the vehicle with one of equal condition to yours before the wreck if you can. Yes I have accepted a cash settlement and done as stated above when I needed cash to buy another car I had been looking at.

Scott3569 said:
****UPDATE***
Well the insurance company is giving me $3200 for the van..
And yes they totaled it.

I will take it to the body shop that gave the estimate, and have them do just enough to get the light assembly in.  I will bond the rest myself

Just because you submitted the claim doesn't mean you have to accept their offer.

I damaged my van and submitted a claim, and my insurance wanted to total it. Their standard is to restore it to original/new condition as much as possible. On an older vehicle, that pretty much means they'll total it. 

I declined their offer. I looked a long time for my van, because it's hard to find an older cargo van that hasn't been rode hard and put away wet. Instead, I took the van to a small independent body shop, which charged me $180 to bang out the most serious dents. No paint job, no replacing any panels/trim.

No, it doesn't look like new. OTOH, I still have it and it still runs great. It's a 21-yo van. I don't need it to look brand spanking new.

kklowell said:
I believe that in this state if they total your vehicle and give you a check for it, they then own it and if you then want it you have to negotiate a price with them to get it. I also think that the title is changed to reflect that it was totalled and to register it again it needs to be inspected and certified safe for the road. I'm not 100% sure on that, but perhaps it's something to check on.
Each state is different, I also believe the age of the vehicle comes to play..

highdesertranger said:
Yes you are going to have to buy it from the insurance company(money).  Yes the are going to give you a salvaged title and you will have to get it inspected(money).  Then what is your insurance company going to say some will not insure vehicles with a salvage title.  Then you are going to pay a shop to get the light in(money).  Then you will try to use bondo to repair it yourself(money).

If it was me I would get the light in myself.  Also I would forget the bondo there is no way bondo will help that,  it's just a waste of money in my book.  bondo is for making small repairs not whole quarter panels.

Highdesertranger
No I do not need to buy it from the Insurance company, I have already spoke to them, they are sending me a check minus what a junk yard would talk for it..

jacqueg said:
Just because you submitted the claim doesn't mean you have to accept their offer.

I damaged my van and submitted a claim, and my insurance wanted to total it. Their standard is to restore it to original/new condition as much as possible. On an older vehicle, that pretty much means they'll total it. 

I declined their offer. I looked a long time for my van, because it's hard to find an older cargo van that hasn't been rode hard and put away wet. Instead, I took the van to a small independent body shop, which charged me $180 to bang out the most serious dents. No paint job, no replacing any panels/trim.

No, it doesn't look like new. OTOH, I still have it and it still runs great. It's a 21-yo van. I don't need it to look brand spanking new.
Yes I agree, I could probably fight for more, NO doubt in my mind, I have spoken to a lawyer about this.. and I will try to speak to someone again before I sign the check 

But people each state has different legislation for no fault accidents.. the legislation is not a universal deal..

Scott3569 said:
No I do not need to buy it from the Insurance company, I have already spoke to them, they are sending me a check minus what a junk yard would talk for it..
That's cool.

Well if they are deducting what the junk yard will give you then for all practical purposes you are buying it from them.

Have you spoke to them about insurance afterwards and what about a salvaged title?

Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Well if they are deducting what the junk yard will give you then for all practical purposes you are buying it from them.

Have you spoke to them about insurance afterwards and what about a salvaged title?

Highdesertranger
I spoke to My insurance company, out of florida, and there are no restrictions.. does not matter if the other insurance company totaled it or not.

***UUPDATE***

So I too my van to a different body shop, He looked at the damage, without putting the van on an alignment machine, he seems to think nothing is out of alignment.. 100% accurate no, But it does confirm my thoughts also..

He is going to help me out, probably only charge me a couple hundred.. to get the light assembly back in.. he seems to think it will be about two hours worth of work.. so $200 is a high estimate.