Rear door surround finish ideas?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They make headliner fabric for that. You can use spray adhesive or brush on contact cement.

They also sell on the surface wire cover materials that habe a nice finished look versus that funky looking wire loom. For the headdliner go to a large fabric store. For the on the surface, wire chase, covering go to a hardware store, Home depot or Lowes. A lot of times the wire chase covering is put on with adhesive foam but you can screw it in place. Just be sure to tape over the screw heads so they don't chafe the wire covering.

I'm just starting the walls and ceiling, cedar T&G over thinsulate and low R insulation. I've been looking at that area and thinking a layer of low R insulation adhered to the metal and a layer of upholstery fabric over that. With the wire loom attached on top of that. Interested to see other solutions, especially if easier and more elegant.  But my fine woodworking tools and skills are limited.

Once I figure how to route all the wiring back inside the surround, I’m planning on spray glue mounting marine vinyl to the exposed metal parts. I found a couple of absolutely gorgeous ones (“carbon”) at marinefabricvinyl.com (I think that’s its addy.)

You know they make Peel and Stick wallpaper, it can be removed without leaving a residue. Highdesertranger

Zu4aoF.jpg
Zu45Wr.jpg
" />Thanks for all the suggestions.  There were many good ones!  In the end, I decided I was over thinking the process and decided to keep it simple.  I ended up going with 2 vertical and 1 horizontal piece of leather looking vinyl.  It is held in place by velcro in the interior and I used the door weatherstripping channel to firmly keep the exterior in place.  The job probably wouldn't pass Rolls Royce inspection standards, but I pleased with the outcome and most importantly, after tinkering for 4 years, I'm calling this project DONE!

Zu45Wr

Still struggling trying to post pics via Pics.me...Not sure what links that are automated that I should be using for this forum...Sorry.

Thanks.  I think I got the photo posting figured out.  Maybe...??  Too further explain, I used some poly fill batting about 3/4" thick as a backing before laying the vinyl down.  It gives it a more finished look and is softer to the touch.  Thanks for following this butchered thead.  Happy to answer any and all questions about my van build!

WOW...great job !!  Looks very aesthetic & natural  :heart:
And i love the cedar wood too....that would have been my choice for my van build....or is that pine ? Whatever...it looks very nice !!!

Nice solution. looks great!

But... now that you have given us all a little and you have the picture attachment down...

would you mind sharing a little more for inspiration.

I love the wood interior. how do you feel about the weight? 2500 obviously can handle it but did you notice much difference in mpg?

oh . I just looked at your back posts..

Thanks all, the weight isn't a factor at all. The wood tongue and groove is only 1/8" thick and is very lightweight. As for MPG. It's a heavy cargo van, I have a lead foot, and the mileage sucks. No really getting around it, except maybe a diesel (which I don't want).

Do you have a link to that tongue and groove I searched and can not find it in 1/8 inch. I can't even picture how they would put the tongue and groove in 1/8". I am very interested if they make it in 1/8". Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Do you have a link to that tongue and groove I searched and can not find it in 1/8 inch.  I can't even picture how they would put the tongue and groove in 1/8".  I am very interested if they make it in 1/8".  Highdesertranger
I think you'll find it if you look for wainscot.
MG

My mistake...it was 1/4".  This what I used.  It is VERY light.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x-3-5-in-x-8-ft-Cedar-V-Plank-6-Pieces-14-sq-ft-8203015/202106509

Couple of tips...Since they are only 8' long they aren't long enough to cover the full length of a cargo van or extended van, so plan accordingly. 

Also, because they are thin, it would really be helpful to have a helper install.  I didn't and matching up the T&G the full length when the van walls curve can be tricky with just one person.  I did it myself, and spent too much time compared to what it would have been with some help.  I also brushed a coat of Matt poly over the wood to give it a bit of a sheen and to bring out the color.  Put the poly on before installing as that will make it easier.  Because they are thin, the wood bends easily to the shape of the van.  I'm very happy with the way it turned out and after 4 years is still holding up well.

You can also get this t&g in pine, cheaper, not as pretty slightly heavier. When I installed mine to my ceiling, I glued it to the wood strappping with no more nails as well as brad nailing it, I also used white wood glue to glue each board in the groove. I did this because of the movement I assumed it will be getting from being in a vehicle.