Real talk...Cleaning that toilet "bucket"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plain bleach (and some rubbing alcohol 90+%) for disinfecting and I carry no ammonia. Bleach and ammonia mixed makes phosgene gas (deadly). However they have reduced the concentrations to a level not quite as toxic.

RVTravel said:
Doubt id put ammonia in anything i am drinking out of.

From the MSDS for Cloudy Ammonia -

Acute toxicity

Inhalation: This material has been classified as non-hazardous. Acute toxicity estimate (based on ingredients): >20 mg/L

Skin contact: This material has been classified as non-hazardous. Acute toxicity estimate (based on ingredients): >2,000 mg/Kg

Ingestion: This material has been classified as non-hazardous. Acute toxicity estimate (based on ingredients): >2,000 mg/Kg 

Corrosion/Irritancy: Eye: this material has been classified as a Category 2A Hazard (reversible effects to eyes). Skin: this material has been classified as a Category 2 Hazard (reversible effects to skin).

Sensitisation: Inhalation: this material has been classified as not a respiratory sensitiser.  Skin: this material has been classified as not a skin sensitiser. 

Aspiration hazard: This material has been classified as non-hazardous

The product is specifically intended for use as a disinfectant.   Less efficient than bleach and not as aggressive but great for removing odours.

I don't know what the cloudy part means ... but I remember using ammonia on floors was common when I was a kid. I also remember if you got too much in a whiff, which was surprisingly easy, it could make you dizzy. We were warned to be very careful not to get so much of an inhalation that you blacked out and then spent the rest of the next few minutes breathing more ammonia.

Still don't trust the stuff and find it frankly scary.

B and C said:
Plain bleach (and some rubbing alcohol 90+%) for disinfecting and I carry no ammonia.  Bleach and ammonia mixed makes phosgene gas (deadly).  However they have reduced the concentrations to a level not quite as toxic.

DO NOT MIX BLEACH AND ALCOHOL - makes Chloroform, which can further break down and make Phosgene.
https://www.thoughtco.com/bleach-and-alcohol-make-chloroform-607720

Bleach and Ammonia makes Chloramine gas, not phosgene.
Bleach and Vinegar (or other acidic products) makes Chlorine gas.
https://draxe.com/dangers-of-bleach/

NEVER MIX CLEANING PRODUCTS...IT JUST MIGHT BE THE LAST THING YOU EVER DO   :(

johnny b said:
DO NOT MIX BLEACH AND ALCOHOL - makes Chloroform, which can further break down and make Phosgene.
https://www.thoughtco.com/bleach-and-alcohol-make-chloroform-607720

NEVER MIX CLEANING PRODUCTS...IT JUST MIGHT BE THE LAST THING YOU EVER DO   :(

I don't mix any cleaning agents.  I was just going off of a poor memory in childhood when housewives would mix bleach and ammonia to clean with and sometimes kill themselves in the process.  My recollection was it was phosgene gas but guess I was wrong on the exact cause.  This is the reason that the stronger concentrations of both are no longer available to the general public.  I use bleach+water for general cleaning and the alcohol to only final spray disinfect dishes.

I use a detergent bottle with the spout thing cut out Tide, it has a Handle, great for peeing,I also have a chemical toilet that I use for poo only, no peeing in it. I built a purpose built box for it that opens when needed. I am able too sit on it with the pee bottle in front if I think that both will occur, if you don;t mix pee and poo the smell is non existence in the chemical toilet, I use about half of the recommended amount of blue stuff, in the toilet, I changed from the bucket because I found having the bags hanging around was a pain and getting rid of them was an issue as well. Initially I bought it for show wanted to give the impression I was self contained, so it sat there for about a year maybe two I had heard bad things about them but one day I decided to give it a go and prefer it over the bucket and have no issue with emptying it.  I can go a month without emptying my toilet, and it still does not smell even on hot summer days. I don’t make this a practice and obviously only use it if I have to. I empty it in a public toilet somewhere in that time frame when no one is around. Usually can find a way to rinse it a couple of times when emptying it.

I have the BranQ Compact Toilet (22 litre model) into which I fit two Tesco pedal bin liners (which are also 22 litre capacity) followed by a couple of unfolded (strong) paper hand towels at the base.

After use (and bag removal) I clean the entire unit with Huggies wipes, even though no waste matter has ever come into contact with any part of the toilet, it all being contained within the double bagged, paper towel lined 'capture area'.

The shape of the base of the toilet (in effect a tall, square bucket) means that it can quite usefully carry and store other things when not being used for it's original purpose, and it aslo packs well out of the way when not in use.

Cleaning chemicals in the van. I have small amounts of denatured alcohol products. Eye glass cleaner and hand sanitizer. I do have a good supply of white vinegar. I buy it in gallon size. Cleans glass, sanitizes surfaces, and works as a odor control.
I buy and use Clorox to sanitize potable water tanks. I don't keep it on hand, but purchase as needed.
I don't find any use for the window cleaners with low concentrations of ammonia. I think they should be called window streakers. I don't keep regular household ammonia.
You will find baking soda and a jar of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
I don't count Bourbon as 'chemicals'. It is a food product, the same as Brandy and Wine. Vodka doesn't belong in the category, or in the van.
But to the original question, The liner bag keeps things clean. The seat often needs more than the bucket. But a bit of vinegar and water rinse does it up good.

give it a rinse with vinegar and set it in the sun, so the sun hits the inside of the bucket. UV does wonders for any nasty's. highdesertranger

Those of us in the gimp world who speak to SCI people all learn very quickly...the best thing for any device that sees urine is vinegar. Cheap, VERY effective and nearly instant, it makes certain bouquets vanish.
They have done bacterial tests after a vinegar solution rinse and found it to be in line or even better at killing UTI producing bugs than the pricey compounds sold in most health care stores/pharmacies.

https://www.hunker.com/13420743/how-to-clean-a-plastic-bedside-urinal

First, I'm not a mobile dweller.  However, I've recently started using a detergent bottle to urinate in to cut back on water usage; about 2-2.5 gal per flush.  I quickly determined that I needed something to cut back the stench of urine that has been sitting for awhile.  For the record, I empty the detergent containers daily and rinse with tap water before going to bed.

I've found using 10 drops of eucalyptus or peppermint essential oil at the start of the day to be very effective at negating urine odor in the detergent bottle.  The only negative I've experienced with using peppermint oil is that the business end of urinating experiences a mild burn after urinating, but it's not unbearable.  I guess it's the vapor from the peppermint oil, because there is no splashing or splatter involved as I always aim for the side of the interior of the bottle.

Amazon has 4-oz bottles of essential oil for a pretty good price.  I've always bought my essential oils from Whole Foods Market, but I'm going to try the offerings on Amazon because they're much cheaper.

I've taken to adding a modest squirt of Dawn foaming dish detergent into my V8 bottles. It's great stuff and great at eliminating odors.