Ready to escape

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vadave311

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My name is David and I'm ready to escape the rat race and start living. I currently live in Central Virginia and will be living the nomad van life on the west coast hopefully by the end of the year. At 47 years-old and currently living in my car I fill the need to go west where I can enjoy the weather more. Since my health has prevented me from keeping full time employment I want to transition from my very small car to a van and because the weather changes so much in Virginia I want to be on the west coast. I plan on getting a van one way or another by winter. I plan on moving from Oregon to Nevada/Arizona each year depending on the seasons. Because of my health (arthritis among others) I will be applying for disability. I look forward to meeting all of you both on the forums and at the RTR in 2020.

Welcome Dave to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Hi Dave and welcome to the forums. Since being in Az, alot of my aches and pains have diminished. They're still there, but I'm definitely not as stiff feeling as I was. Before Az, I was in Iowa, for reference. Best of luck!

Welcome to the CRVL Forums Dave  :)

I'm not sure just what kind of rig would best fit your needs.  I'm guessing something you don't have to do a lot of climbing to get in and out of.   Since you have a car, if it is capable of towing a small trailer that's already built so you don't have to build, then that may be your best bet for immediate shelter.  These things sit around not being used much and you may find a deal between the end of the summer vacation season and before the fall hunting season. Something you can just take possession of and use and enjoy. 

I offer two links below for beginners but the one on the bottom may have the most to offer you once you are with a rig to travel & live in.  Believe me,  in my travels I've met plenty of people living in small camper trailers in some lovely scenic coastal settings.  You may be able to travel some reasonable distance twice a year from lower hot elevations to higher cooler elevations.  But that is possible for you to do.  Even find a safe solid spot should the weather or forest fires etc become an issue for you. 

When my Great Gran Dad retired from his dairy farm, he purchased an older used trailer about like this one to use to winter over in Florida.  His was painted a military green (Army Navy Stores had plenty of it in those days)  and it blended in to the surroundings quite well  according to my Grand Dad. 

But it's just a thought.  You may want a much newer trailer.

1950Vagabond.JPG

HI
just get a vehicle that makes your arthritis easier, like maybe crouching, kneeling, scooting, bending over a lot etc might hurt ya more, so maybe a 'stand up' van would be best for ya, but of course you know your limitations etc. so just get whatever vehicle you can live full time in, long term and go for it. Happy you have your goals set and are going for it....I hope everything just falls into place for ya and soon you will be posting from the west coast area you desire :)

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I believe I will be going with a van. With my arthritis that main issue is sitting or standing for long periods. Sometimes I have to just lay flat.