Reaching escape velocity

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qinomad

Reaction score
If all goes well, I'll be heading out in about 5 days.

• Bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Cargo Van. Even though I'm in the midwest, the van is a Cali van. Started life as a police van. It's in great shape. Has just over 150K miles on it.
  • Someone before me did the insulation, blocked the windows, and installed a ceiling vent.
  • Inside is a bed platform too big for my tastes, but I'm running out of time to tweak things too much now. It'll do just fine, I think.
  • Will be traveling with my dog. She's a 9 year old, 50 pound beagle-hound mix. Sweet dog. Typically very quiet but can emit a surprisingly ferocious sounding bark when needed :)
  • Heading to the Southwest - hopefully to spend a fair amount of time in New Mexico.

I'm most worried about the temps, and more so because of the dog than myself. She's a spoiled dog, having spent years now in a temperature controlled apartment. Also worried about keeping up with the cost of gas to keep the ol' van a movin. Guessing I'll be getting about 10 mpg, maybe 12 on the highway if I'm lucky.

All in all, I imagine I am doing a few things "right" and a few things the "wrong" way as I take this leap of faith. But part of this journey for me is to evolve and get back into alignment with what right and wrong are for me anyway.

To put that another way, what matters most is that I'm actually DOING this. Of course it'll be awkward. But I know myself well enough to know that I could have lingered in the land of analysis-paralysis until my dying days, and after you start losing people you love way too early, you really get to understand that there's absolutely nothing to wait for in life. It's all right here, right now.

Speaking of right now - as I write, it's not even 8 am where I live now, and there's been some sort of circular saw in use, off and on, nearby outside for at least half an hour. This is the noisiest place I've ever lived. Construction, trucks, trains, fire department next door. Somehow, it didn't bother me for the first few years. I think I was just too numb and stressed for it to make a difference. Now, however, it drives me nuts.

But this post isn't about noise. It's about change. I know I need it. I believe that overall, this will be a great change for me. But it's still producing a whole lotta anxiety. Thankfully, the excitement to get on the road is outweighing the fear.

While I've figured a lot out, I know I'll be learning so much every day. Keep reminding myself - "It's a process. Get out of your head. Learn to live a little."

Still feels like there's way too much to do to actually wrap up this apartment thing, and get out on the road, but I am definitely 100% reaching escape velocity. The count down is on. Just days to go.

What I like the most about how this is turning out is that I'm not committing to a place or a timeline. Whatever comes next could happen in increments of days, weeks, months, or years... where I am, how long I stay, etc... that's the freedom that I am craving. Even if it means settling down again someplace - whether soon or way down the road, I'd like to do that from a place of feeling free. 

When you have a lease that ends on an apartment, like I have now, there's so much pressure to just sign another lease someplace. It's so hard to break free from the cycle. 

And the social ramifications are interesting to watch, to say the least.

Some of the people I encounter who seem the most stable and successful can end up being the most supportive or happy for me. It's like a part of them really wants to be free too, and they're in a good enough place to be able to feel it.

Then there are some who are struggling who can only see through that lens and are scared for me, and feel sad.

Thankfully, I have a few friends who seem to able to cross the chasm of understanding to just accept this as a part of my life without projecting their own "good/bad" narrative on top.

Heck, even I struggle in that department, oscillating between "I'm a failure" and "Sweet! I'm free!".

Truth is, life is life. Wherever I go, there I'll be. And I have a great deal of work ahead of me, although it's not entirely clear to me yet what that work is. I know it will become much clearer soon.

For now, this is about letting go of a lot of my stuff -- physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. It's still a daily process. 

Creating space on the inside and heading to where there's a whole lot more space on the outside.

Wish me luck.

so very excited for you as you begin your new journey...best of luck! you are free! enjoy!

I did it. I left town on Monday. It was way more exhausting than I imagined... getting out of that apartment.

Spent the first night at a rest stop in Missouri. It was super easy and laid back. Next night, I stayed at the Flying J's / Denny's in Tucumcari, New Mexico. The view from the back of my van was amazing. My dog is adjusting way better than I expected. Heck, more than adjusting, I think she's starting to love the road! I'll attach a pic.

Then, I pushed it a bit and headed for the southwest corner of New Mexico. Check engine light came on and I saw my battery gauge drop down to nothing. I was in the middle of nowhere, no bars on the phone, etc... have a dog with me, I just sorta got all stressed about how to get the car checked out with a dog with me, so I drove into town, and got a cheap hotel room, all with the van running. Hustled the dog into the room, went a few blocks down the road to get the van checked out -- nada. Battery good. Engine good. Was able to turn it off and it started right back up - w/o the light!

Ok, so on my 3rd night, I'm stuck with A/C, wifi, more room for doggo and a hot shower. Oh, and free breakfast in the morning. No biggie :)

I'm just glad the van made it all this way. I did pick up one of those jump starter / lithium battery things today. When I have the money, I really want a cell signal booster too.

One step at a time.

My first two nights in the van went better than I expected. Looking forward now to tomorrow night.

We got a blue moon coming up. I'd love to be someplace where I can just sit out under the night sky and watch it in peace and quiet. 

Btw, If anyone has any thoughts about the van check gauges light coming on, I certainly welcome them. It's a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 with just over 150K miles. Just had a full tune up and such. Battery tested out just fine this evening. I did notice at a rest stop earlier (before the light came on) that when I turned the key - nothing. Turned it again and it started right up. Hmmmm.

Attachments

• IMG_20190417_082016660_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190417_082016660_HDR.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 21
WOW you did it.... huge leap and success ....Congrats!  You got this :cool:

wow great story of being on the road....no idea on your check engine lights etc. but I hope all pans out well for you :)
Your dog does look happy being nomadic!!!

love the pic! Dog looks content and you have your lucky money tree handy!
congrats on your start and freedom

nice looking pup. don't try to cross into California with your plant. they will take it. highdesertranger