Rate my solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camping bum

Reaction score
New at this so any help / advice would be great

12' cargo trailer for weekend boondock camping

4  6 v  golf cart batteries 230 AH

2 100 watts Renogy panels

Renogy Wanderer controller

power needs: Fan Tastic vent fan

led lights, recharge i-phone & lap top

in a 1 to 10 (highest) who good is this setup for my needs ?

how could i improve

4 golf cart batteries at 12v will be ~464Ah capacity.
Seems to be about 125 more Lbs in lead than you need to carry unless you use the laptop 18 hours a day.

If you discharged that bank to anywhere near  50% regularly, you would need much more solar to ever get it back to near 100%, in the absence of other charging sources applied.

The 1 Solar watt to 1 Ah of battery capacity should be considered an absolute minimum of solar one should get in my opinion.  Any solar is better than no solar but huge battery capacity will too little solar will not make for happy batteries unless the dicharge depth is very shallow.  If it is so shallow then one is simply carrying more battery capacity than they need to.

Lots of people equate lots of battery capacity wth warm and fuzzy confidence type of bragging rights.

I once thought so too.  NOw I've switched completely and have more than 2watts  to 1 AH capacity and would much prefer 3 to 1..  This is in addition to other optimized charging sources.

200 watts on 464Ah of battery will work, and work for quite a long time powering just a laptop and a fantastic fan before battery capacity is compromised enought that you can notice it. But my opinion it is much more battery capacity than you require, and more weight than your vehicle needs to carry for your specified electrical needs.

It is kind of like filling your gas tank, and filling 2 spare tanks you keep on your bumper, but you will pass a gas station before the gas tank is 2/3 depleted.

John61CT said:
So start small on the bank, big on the panels, see how you go on those goals, then expand the bank later to give yourself a cushion.

It is much better to not have to add new batteries to older ones.  Old and  new in parallel quickly weakens new to state of old.  Better, imo,  to add more solar Mid battery life.  How detrimental adding new to old is to the new batteries, varies.  

Health of the old battery is the big variable when doing this.

If a bank is relatively new and has under ~40 deep cycles and proves insufficient capacity wise when proper recharging was mostly attempted and achieved,  then adding New to old can work much better together. But , the Old batteries should be given a full charge( extended absorption), then an equalizing/reconditioning charge (few hours at 15.5to 16V)  and allowed to rest before being put in parallel with the new ones.  If all New and old  Resting full charge voltages are within 0.02v, they should be good  to be put permanently in parallel.  If they are 0.05v or more apart they will not be as happy.  If the new rest  0.1v  higher than old, they will be unhappy.

Brand new batteries usually need a deep cycle or two before they will read their normal fully charged resting voltages.

I'd suggest milking initial unsufficient battery bank until death, spend money to increase solar, or alternator contribution with thicker shorter copper,  then after battery failure,  expand capacity with all new house batteries, and perhaps charging sources too.

If a New pair of 6v in series can't run your microwave except when absolutley fully charged,  then you will likely need a second set, so it would be wise to plan enough space for 4, but see if two is sufficient and if not, then add 2 more quickly.

Ideal, need not be achieved, but one should be aware of what is downright detrimental and try and avoid committing premature batterycide.  The problem is that the process of committing batterycide is not obvious to most Newbs, until that day when 'just fine', no longer is.

That day can certainly come too soon and be too expensive.  if when it does, the Newb either replaces batteries and upgrades charging sources, or resigns their next set of batteries to a similar death.

The other option is using less electricity by being more efficient and living without.  It  is certainly  less costly to conserve, than it is to expand and complicate, to generate enough juice,  that one has no concerns. 
 But solar is kind of addictive too.

So if one is going to go crazy on Solar wattage, or battery capacity, I say more solar wattage.

7/10.

If you don't use the laptop much, it should be enough for your needs. You're a bit misbalanced IMO, with a lot of battery Amp Hours and comparatively low solar power. So, to improve it, add more solar panels.

We got off-topic in this thread. This is Camping Bums thread about his solar system. Let's answer his question. He didn't ask about microwaves.

Camping Bum, I agree with Steernwake, you have a great plan but 4 golf carts is too much! Two will work great and you score a 10!

X3 on four is too much. Two GC2's are enough. I have Two and run a full up travel trailer with them. I do have 2X the solar, so I don't have to worry about the angle of the sun.

I have a similar system, and I am ready to add a freezer to the system. without increasing anything.  

Fan, lights, CPAP, phone, laptop.  Check out the battery options.  I have 4 6V AGM, that store 448 AH @ 12V.  

For your stated load, 2 6V would give you plenty of power.  Buy Monocrystalline or better panels.  Polycrystalline ones are $5 less, but do not work well on cloudy days.

2 6volt advanced auto golf cart battery's.
2 100watt panels
9 months
2 laptops 10 hours a day
Dometic cx35us fridge
Think I only ran a small generator 3 or 4 days when it rained for several days in a row. Will state the further south and west you are the better it will work. Trees in MS made parking interesting .
Also my smallest wires are 8gage, I personally think the recommended wire sizes are to small.

Larry