Ram promaster city on hills, mountains

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebraOak

Reaction score
Hi all.

Searched Ram Promaster City (RPC for short) and the forum came up empty. I'm wondering if anyone's experienced them on mountains and hills and how they perform.

There's a sweet 2016 RPC tradesman 24C for sale that I'm excited about as a transition van. I still work 3-1/2 years to retirement and getting a huge cargo van seemed too much for me but something like a Dodge Grand Caravan seemed too small. This one seems just right BUT I live in Colorado (north of Denver) and do want to climb the mountains without causing log jam. Any experience? And I know I know the RPC has "city" right in the name and it will mostly be driven in the city. For my getaways though I'd like to take it up in the mountains.

If this works out for getaways the next few years, then after retirement I can trade up to a Ram Promaster 2500 or something. 

Thanks all.

A friend drove a heavily loaded RPC and I never heard him complain about mountains.

Knowing whether it is diesel, gas, 4 or 6 cylinder as well as differential gear ratio might make for better informed responses.

DebraOak said:
Hi all.

Searched Ram Promaster City (RPC for short) and the forum came up empty. I'm wondering if anyone's experienced them on mountains and hills and how they perform.

There's a sweet 2016 RPC tradesman 24C for sale that I'm excited about as a transition van. I still work 3-1/2 years to retirement and getting a huge cargo van seemed too much for me but something like a Dodge Grand Caravan seemed too small. This one seems just right BUT I live in Colorado (north of Denver) and do want to climb the mountains without causing log jam. Any experience? And I know I know the RPC has "city" right in the name and it will mostly be driven in the city. For my getaways though I'd like to take it up in the mountains.

If this works out for getaways the next few years, then after retirement I can trade up to a Ram Promaster 2500 or something. 

Thanks all.

DanoT said:
Knowing whether it is diesel, gas, 4 or 6 cylinder as well as differential gear ratio might make for better informed responses.

Since she asked if anyone had experience with the RPC, those with experience wouldn't need to ask those things.

MrNoodly said:
Since she asked if anyone had experience with the RPC, those with experience wouldn't need to ask those things.

True, but if the RPC is not all that popular for RV conversion as I suspect, then there may not be too many RPC owners on an RV forum who can answer the OP questions.

Here is my take on a 4 cylinder vehicle in the mountains: I am retired and live near a ski area in winter so I drive to the mountain 5 or 6 days/week. The last 8 miles requires a 1500' climb to get to the chairlifts and it means a non turbo gas 4 cylinder engine will work extremely hard under these conditions affecting engine life and oil change frequency (classed as "severe use") and burn more fuel than a bigger engine.

In the video posted by frater, the 24mpg combined gas mileage rating for an empty van, in the real world extreme test pulling a 1200lb. trailer through the steep Eisenhower Tunnel, the van got 8.4mpg proving how hard the engine had to work.

Myself, if I were 3-4 years from retirement, instead of immediately getting an intern van for weekend use I wouldn't wait to start the process of finding the perfect van for use after retirement. This would take the stress and pressure off to make a quick decision and also might allow looking farther afield. It also might be better to have the new van prior to retirement and slowly do the RV conversion while still having a job providing the income for the van build. This would apply whether doing the carpentry oneself or having someone else do the build.

I would venture a guess that the reason it's for sale IS because it's a 4 cyl.  I agree with DanoT wait til you get closer to retirement.  I'm not sure that 9 speed transmission has proved itself and if you were to have to have it repaired or replaced the price would scare you.  That 4 cyl need to stay in town and stay off the hiway.  Have you driven a van?  If not you might consider renting one foe a weekend and see what you think.  Good luck.

DanoT said:
In the video posted by frater, the 24mpg combined gas mileage rating for an empty van, in the real world extreme test pulling a 1200lb. trailer through the steep Eisenhower Tunnel, the van got 8.4mpg proving how hard the engine had to work.

Most of the big V-8s, gas and diesel, drop down to 2-4 mpg on that same grade. (of course they are pulling a lot more weight, and the elevation plays a role in power loss)...But, you get that back on the downhill when you see mpg max out on the meter. Sometimes its as high as 9999 mpg!

Don't buy the tradesman - too small and too expensive.  I have a PM 1500 and it is just the right size for a conversion. I got mine used from a fleet with very low miles. ~crofter