Rack for a high-top van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dang why can't I just see a picture. I don't have the data to watch videos. LOL. but I think I understand that you can not use the rain gutter. highdesertranger

If you note in the video the technician sets the mounts straight down into the gutter maintaining the 90 degree angle which you cannot because of the topper seal. Forcing the mount into the gutter with the seal will most likely destroy the seal or bend the gutter lip when you try to straighten it back to 90 degrees so the cross bars can be installed all of which is not good.

highdesertranger said:
I am not following.  is it the rain gutter that is giving you problems or the crossmember?  if the crossmember was higher would it work?  it's easy to post pictures here.  have you read the tutorial on posting pictures?  the picture you posted of the van really shows nothing helpful.  highdesertranger
The cross-member is plenty high; the upright are supposed to clamp into the rain gutter.  For the clamp to seat into the rain gutter the upright must be moved about 20 degrees inward; the fiberglass topper prevents any inward motion.  The black band in the picture that seals the topper to the van protrudes out blocking inward motion.  This YouTube video at 0:2:14 shows the upright; in my case, there is no room inwardly to be able to seat the clamp.  

These ladder racks have the type of clamp that would likely attach to my drip rails: Pro-Series HTVANRK 500 lbs. Capacity Multi-Use Van Rack, https://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html/ref=lh_cart. Wish I had known about them before now. Helpful YouTube:

Here are pictures of the clamp that VanTech uses:
1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/13hjYe8F3hZeTAutNdRgZZ-RVtsSaxvQ-/view?usp=sharing,
2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/19VsL0eFuEY0QXCo2DMJwYrhIB-clxF6-/view?usp=sharing,
3. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jfzj2OEZSLNi9oP2fq5hXJTqQ16WgV6I/view?usp=sharing,
4. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j9yoxxI855y3tGe1tiHh_TiSiMkIdZYN/view?usp=sharing

The drip rail is standard 2007 Ford E250 cargo van. Where is the link to tutorials?

Is there any space in the bottom of the drip rail (the flat part between the lip and the original curved roof of the van) that isn’t filled by the gasket for the added on fiberglass hard top? The main support for the upright must sit flush against the bottom of the drip rail to support the weight of the rack. The lip of the rail and the small plate that bolts to the upright simply clamp it in place and keep the supports from spreading or moving. Pinching or distorting the rubber gasket with the support will most likely cause the rubber gasket to leak.

you get a link to the tutorials and the rules when you post an intro thread in the "Newcomers Corner" which I just checked and you haven't done. please go to there and post an intro. highdesertranger

bullfrog said:
Is there any space in the bottom of the drip rail (the flat part between the lip and the original curved roof of the van) that isn’t filled by the gasket for the added on fiberglass hard top? The main support for the upright must sit flush against the bottom of the drip rail to support the weight of the rack. The lip of the rail and the small plate that bolts to the upright simply clamp it in place and keep the supports from spreading or moving. Pinching or distorting the rubber gasket with the support will most likely cause the rubber gasket to leak.

Thank you bullfrog for taking the time to study these pictures/videos.  Your analysis is exactly what I am seeing happen; the main brace is pinching the black rubber gasket sealing the topper to the van.  Unfortunately, I have not found a substitute for this VanTech ladder rack because of the height of the topper.

Anyone know where I can find a ladder rack that can clear the top of my fiberglass hardtop by 17 inches, i.e. from drip rail to one inch over the top of my topper?  The VanTech H1 model will not fit my van.  Thanks in advance.

A custom built rack that bolts on to the metal side of the van may be your only choice if you plan on any kind of weight being on the rack. Any good welding/fabrication shop should be able to help you. There are fiberglass truck toppers that have racks that bolt on, you might check some place that sells truck toppers but the fiberglass would most likely need to be strengthened in the areas of the bolts in your case and still not be as strong as a custom rack. Since you already have a rack maybe a welding/fabrication shop could make a bracket to bolt on just below the drip rail and to extend just outside it for a place to mount the rack. Sort of a fake drip rail looking adaptor. If you needed a little more width they could probably elongate the holes for the cross bars.

bullfrog said:
A custom built rack that bolts on to the metal side of the van may be your only choice if you plan on any kind of weight being on the rack. Any good welding/fabrication shop should be able to help you. There are fiberglass truck toppers that have racks that bolt on, you might check some place that sells truck toppers but the fiberglass would most likely need to be strengthened in the areas of the bolts in your case and still not be as strong as a custom rack. Since you already have a rack maybe a welding/fabrication shop could make a bracket to bolt on just below the drip rail and to extend just outside it for a place to mount the rack. Sort of a fake drip rail looking adapter. If you needed a little more width they could probably elongate the holes for the cross bars.

We could make a fortune selling a decent ladder rack with adjustable height sidebars.  The only adjustable height ladder racks I have found are for trailers and they are designed to screw into the side of the trailer.  Hopefully, my welder/fabricator can figure something out.  That fiberglass top is more trouble than it is worth; the seal is just too close to the drip gutter.

I have a welder who will make an aluminum frame for four solar panels based on having two Vantech H1 ladder racks mounted.  I did not check the ladder racks when they were delivered to see if they would work.  They were sold as suitable for a Ford Econoline conversion van; caveat emptor.  They will have to be modified; if the 8" lip of the upright were to be heated and straightened might they not fit into the drip rail?

Yes as long as the rubber seal Is not disturbed so much it leaks or the fiberglass does not rub the upright.